Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ultdoomer

Pausing problem and misc discussion (from KS thread)

I was wondering if anyone knows why pausing a demo at an intermission screen during playback causes it to desync (in PrBoom).

Speaking of bugs, prboom-plus seems to sometimes not update the onscreen stats... just some of them. often health or ammo supply just stops updating.
perhaps I should either post it, or at least see if it is already known...

entryway said:
It is not meaningful for Kristian. He will continue to use the old 2.2.4 version in any case :)

Hello Andrey :-)
Actually, I never use 2.2.4 for *watching* demos, which is what this bug affects.

Opulent said:

prboom-plus seems to sometimes not update the onscreen stats...

Do you mean if you are using the Boom-style HUD and you increase the gamespeed to precisely 200%?

Kristian Ronge said:

Actually, I never use 2.2.4 for *watching* demos, which is what this bug affects.

But there are quite a number of bugs that affect recording that have been fixed since 2.2.4. See the changelog. The latest test version also changes the start-up behaviour in a way I think you'll like a lot.

Grazza said:

Do you mean if you are using the Boom-style HUD and you increase the gamespeed to precisely 200%?

nah... I mean:
(This is only with watching demos... I have never recorded with PrBoom+)
when watching a demo, I usually watch with the BOOM-style HUD... and the numbers (as well as their visual display bars) stop moving sometime during the demo playback.
let's say 2 minutes in, our hero has 40 health, whether he takes more damage or picks up some health, it never moves again. The actual health, and the real HUD always increment correctly.... only the Boom-style HUD doesn't.
I've seen it happen with the health and the ammo... not sure about the others. It doesn't 'refresh' if you change the display type either.(not that I expected it to)
It is reproducible, but not reliably reproducible.
This would be a lowest priority defect... barely an inconvenience, I was only informing.

What you describe sounds like what I get in the specific instance I mentioned (making the gamespeed exactly 200%). You'd think it would be a manifestation of the same issue, but occurring more often for you for some reason.

hmmm.. perhaps not.
I do not like to fast-forward beyond 200%.... often won't fast forward at all(but it could be the single most awesome feature of prboom).
when you watch the 3rd maxdemo on the same map, I think anyone would ff a little bit.
soooo, perhaps it is the same exact issue.
since this is a demos thread, I'll advertise this: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/doom_sda.htm

which, btw resulted in finding a demo desync that I didn't investigate at all: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/hellgat2.htm

Opulent said:

which, btw resulted in finding a demo desync that I didn't investigate at all: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/hellgat2.htm

It desyncs in the same way with Doom-plus. Given that it (correctly!) desyncs in 2.2.6.27 and plays back in 2.2.6.26, I imagine it must be due to

2.2.6.27 @ 2006.04.05
[-] Boom bug: desyncs after using the key for switching to SSG directly with demo compatibility.
I don't see anything else in the 2.2.6.27 changelog that could account for it. If so, it could probably be converted to make it a genuinely vanilla-compatible demo. Info here.

Grazza said:
Info here.

Proof here. Pretty easy to edit with LMPC, that in text form notes "unknown weapon" where the Boom style switching occurs.

Thank you for the update, Doug! Small corrections: My dm_tpa_1 demo is doom.exe compatibility (despite what the .txt says, I used the wrong template, sorry). And the kaiser_14 link points to kaiser_9.

EDIT: Oh, I just read about Rich Sham. :-( That's bad news... Sad to hear it.

myk said:

Proof here. Pretty easy to edit with LMPC

Thanks. I was trying to do that, but was looking for the wrong thing.

Kristian Ronge said:

Thank you for the update, Doug! Small corrections: My dm_tpa_1 demo is doom.exe compatibility (despite what the .txt says, I used the wrong template, sorry). And the kaiser_14 link points to kaiser_9.

fixed... I think. sorry.

thanks for the words about Rich. He was a good dood.

Searcher said:

The demo community has lost a good man with the death of Rich.

Damn, and I was thinking "What?! Where is the news about that?" I searched DW forums until it hit me to check SDA... shit. I noticed that he was the one who made the post confirming magikal's death a while back. He definitely was a nice guy.