Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eugene

Eternal demos [-complevel 2]

map31 max 12:09

Yeah, I used to hate map20 until some of us were in Spearhead's zdaemon coop server and we tried to figure out what to do by using doom builder.

For map12, the pain elemental didn't come in the narrow corridor, so I was mad and didn't care if I died because I usually restart anyway if he doesn't go in the corridor. I lost a bunch of health on the first cyber where he hit me with his rocket, that was annoying. And then later the imps ambushed me near one of the yellow switches (first time that happened). I expected to die somewhere outside near the start, but then the berzerk saved me. And I was lucky that the baron didn't kill me at the megasphere (he's usually near the blue key, not near the megasphere). I was happy to exit.

If Anima or someone doesn't do these maps, I might try map20, 23, 25, 27. I remember trying map28 speed in 2006-2007, but I couldn't find my way. The nomo demo shows a pretty fast route iirc. I only played that map a couple times before because it locks the players in the start room after someone leaves the start room (and a lot of my eternal playing was on coop servers).

:(
I think I used the raw ETERNALL.WAD from the /idgames zip:

size: 25,855,356 bytes
disk: 25,858,048 bytes
november 14, 1997 5:50:46 PM

I can't download it again because I only have dial-up.

But, now I tried Grazza's map31 speed demo and it desyncs with prplus 2501, but it works with prboom 247 (he says he used the eternal.wad upgrade, not the raw eternall.wad, but that his demo works with both wads). My speed demo also desyncs with prplus 2501 but works with prboom 247, and I bet the et312225 max desyncs with prplus 2501. Is it a problem with prplus 2501?

My max works with prplus 2501.

>I bet the et312225 max desyncs with prplus 2501
Works for me.

>My max works with prplus 2501.
It does not work for me with prplus 2501 too

I have prplus 2501, 2503, and some older versions on my dooming computer. et312225 and Grazza's speed demo work with older versions, but desync with 2501 and 2503. My max desyncs with older versions, but works with 2501 and 2503, but also desyncs with 2505 on my internet computer. Should I post my cfg files or something?

prboom-plus.exe 2501
size: 958,464 bytes
date: November 23, 2008, 4:14:20 AM

prboom-plus.exe 2503
size: 1,142,784 bytes
date: July 11, 2009, 9:28:48 PM

ETERNALL.WAD
size: 25,855,356 bytes
november 14, 1997 5:50:46 PM

Just to say I cannot watch the demo either (to show somebody actually cares, not only entryway). The size and date and time of eternall.wad look all correct. I wish I could watch the demo, the strategy described looks promising and the time is... well, excellent.

Also, *every* ToD demo on Eternal can be watched with specific -emulate parameters on 2.5.0.5 or 2.5.0.7 if I remember well. This one - not.

TimeOfDeath said:

I have prplus 2501, 2503, and some older versions on my dooming computer. et312225 and Grazza's speed demo work with older versions, but desync with 2501 and 2503.

You do something wrong. et312225 works fine with any version of prb+ I tested starting from 2431

Eternal map31 features a spechits overflow that affects playback on (almost?) all demos recorded on this map. That's almost certainly the problem here - I'm guessing ToD has different settings for spechits overflow emulation in the various installations of prboom+ versions that he has. It's nothing to do with different versions (of port or wad), but rather the cfg files that are associated with them.

Just turn spechits overflow emulation on in all cases - spechits overflow emulation works well, and has never caused any crashes to my knowledge, or to have broken any maps.

ToD's new et31 demos plays back OK if spechits overflow emulation is turned off, so presumably he recorded it with it turned off. So emulation needs to be temporarily turned off to play it back.

Cool, thanks Grazza. Sorry, I forgot I turned off all the overflow emulation options a while ago for some reason. I re-uploaded the demo with a note in the txt file.

map31 max 12:09

That's one of reasons why extended demo format was introduced. By some reason I had "Warn on spechits overflow OFF", but demo footer stores all needed information for playback if overflow occured.

entryway said:

That's one of reasons why extended demo format was introduced. By some reason I had "Warn on spechits overflow OFF", but demo footer stores all needed information for playback if overflow occured.

Not to mention that it makes demo playback much easier on Glboom+ as well. All I have to do is double-click, instead of having to search for the wad on the launcher.

I prefer your version of the map, haha. Great stuff!

...and wallrunning past that BFG shot at around 10:02 was ridiculously cool.

TimeOfDeath said:

map25 max 12:24

Edit: btw, how do you use extended demo format? I couldn't find an option in 2501.

I can't imagine a more annoying level to UV-Max, yet you make it look so simple and pedestrian.

Extended demo format wasn't introduced until 2.5.0.2, according to the history.txt. Btw, why are you still using 2.5.0.1? Is it just a case of being too lazy to transfer all the wad files and config settings?

Qaatar said:

Is it just a case of being too lazy to transfer all the wad files and config settings?

There's really no need to do any of that. Just replace the old exe files with the new ones, and likewise for the prboom-plus.wad file if it has been updated since the previous release (also .dll files, but they don't change often). It takes just a few seconds. Keep your old cfg files.

Occasionally, you'll need to check the menus for any new options that have been introduced (such as extended demo format), since your old cfg won't have "known" about these options. But this isn't a life-or-death issue.

map20 max 14:56

I never thought of unzipping the new version into the old version folder and replacing files, lols. I guess I'm just dumb/lazy and don't bother updating. I'll use 2503 next time with extended demo format, I promise.

Just curious, why does map25 look annoying to max? I think the only one I thought was a bit annoying was map29 because of the random roaming monsters.

I just watched TOD's MAP25 MAX demo to see if I still remember any of Eternal Doom, and it turns out I do, but I also had a realization. If these levels were textured purely with stock textures rather than dignified with custom artwork, it would be easier to recognize them as the random bullshit that they are.

(Relax guys, I like Eternal Doom, I just... don't really want to play it.)

Creaphis said:

[...]it would be easier to recognize them as the random bullshit that they are.

(Relax guys, I like Eternal Doom, I just... don't really want to play it.)

I happen to think that Eternal Doom is total horseshit. So what? I still love watching ToD's/Anima's/Andy's demos though.

I disagree. Jim Flynn's maps (25,26,31), MAP26 in particular, are ugly!!! But they are fun. They could use stock textures and would still be ugly (see: Enigma). Paul Schmitz' maps (7,28) are pretty and fun. Couleur's maps and Sverre Kvernmo's maps - above average at the very least, even without "custom artwork". I was only tired when playing Dia's maps and that gigantic mess of MAP27. But ToD wants to record a demo on this map, so I may change my opinion.

I don't know if MAP25 is Max-unfriendly (didn't try), it's just mega-complicated, MAP31 too, and I do admire ToD's detective work with a map editor. The same thing with Creaphis' Grove :)

Qaatar said:

I still love watching ToD's/Anima's/Andy's demos though.

Fair enough. Watching TOD blaze through MAP25 was fun if a little bit incomprehensible.

vdgg said:

I disagree.

Alright, I may check out the maps you mention. It's been quite a while since I played that wad.

vdgg said:

The same thing with Creaphis' Grove :)

Heh, that was a puzzle. It wasn't until I started studying the map in an editor that I realized a MAX was even possible (I doubt anyone has ever found that room with the plasma rifle without cheating). As I recall, the text file I included with that demo was pretty useless. I could post a better explanation of the route if you want me to.

TimeOfDeath said:

Just curious, why does map25 look annoying to max? I think the only one I thought was a bit annoying was map29 because of the random roaming monsters.

The switch hunts are Eternal's usual fare, but the monster placements and overall gameplay design on that map seems to me just extremely awkward. The 3:30 to 7:30 stretch in your demo on that map will make my head explode with frustration.

Edit: Not to mention the total bullshit at the end starting from 10 minutes onwards...what the fuck was that supposed to accomplish other than frustrating the player?

Well, I like eternall. :)
I used to play zdaemon coop most days for about 3 years and eternall was one of the wads I played a lot. I had most maps pretty much memorized (at least how to get to the exit) except map20, 28, 30, 31, so now it's been a matter of refreshing my memory and looking for extra shortcuts. My favs are 9, 11, 12, 15, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31, but I like the others too.

Map25, I love the bank section and the winding rising stairs at the end too. :)

just a silly run of a silly level from a silly wad using silly route, somewhat inspired by recent Qatie's uploads at yt, first time I actually saw this wad

map 1 max in 4:34

eternallmap1max.zip

Those who have already bothered to watch may not be aware of the edit. Besides, it's not like there is a flood of fresh demos, isn't it?