Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hitherto

Maxdemo definition

To be a valid demo in a Max category (including UV Max and UV Fast), all killable monsters (with the exception of lost souls or anything spawned by a boss shooter) must be dead when the player exits the map. This means that any monsters revived by an arch-vile must be rekilled.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/799580

IMHO, I think what 'official FAQ' definition "killing every monster at least once" has more priority than just a sentence from single forum post "If there's an archie and it resurrects monsters then you MUST kill the resurrected monsters and if they get resurrected again then you MUST kill them again until there's no one alive."

May be we should do a poll for finally clarification?

No, this definition has been the only accepted usage for a long time, and Adam never intended any other interpretation. Compet-n never accepted any demos based on the alternative interpretation.

It's not like anyone ever changed their mind over this - it was just a mistake in Adam Hegyi's English usage.

Think about it - does it make sense for an error in a Hungarian's English more than eight years ago, which he clarified seven years ago, to cause an abrupt change in the rules of a well-established demo category now?

Note: there's nothing to stop anyone recording demos using any rules they like, and they will be welcome here, but choose a different name for the category, or add a note in some way to clarify that it is a not a regular demo type. If and when someone comes to assemble a demo pack, they will no doubt want to have a set of regular Max demos, but may also include other demos that are the best of their type and have some merit.

Well. Then clarify, please, two more points.

Any later demo featuring fewer monsters left alive at the end can be considered "a better Max" than the earlier demo, even if the time is slower

If later demo will featuring +1 monster killed, but by the cost of ridiculously amount of time (~1 min and more), will it fuckups record of previous demo, that streaming good?

If there are any ghosts created then you MUST kill them until there's none of them, however if by level flaw ghosts don't appear (when by design they should), then you don't have to wait for them to appear

What if a ghost appeared by accident, and there's no way to kill him (by lack of RL, rockets, barrels, cybies?

Hitherto said:
If later demo will featuring +1 monster killed, but by the cost of ridiculously amount of time (~1 min and more), will it fuckups record of previous demo, that streaming good?

Completeness trumps time as I see it.

Hitherto said:
What if a ghost appeared by accident, and there's no way to kill him (by lack of RL, rockets, barrels, cybies? [/B]

I don't know that this has ever been discussed or clarified. I would say it's not a valid max. Even if it's an accident, it's still a result of the players actions. A death could be an accident, but the demo is still over.

Hitherto said:

Not consistently. The case I always bring up is Hell Revealed map23, which has a slow max route and a fast max route. The slow max route kills everything, the fast max route leaves three monsters alive because their one-time-use teleporter gets blocked. But the current record uses the fast max route.

Hitherto said:What if a ghost appeared by accident, and there's no way to kill him (by lack of RL, rockets, barrels, cybies?

Then it's not valid. I recorded a Hell Revealed map26 -fast but didn't submit it to compet-n since one ghost imp was left alive and I didn't have the means to kill him. I sent an email to Adam about it at the time but that must have been after he went AWOL.