Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

First attempt demos [never played the map before]

Note by Grazza:

Welcome to the First attempt demos thread.

This is the place to post demos that you have recorded when playing a map for the first time ever, with no previous knowledge of the map. That is, you have never ever played it before, and have not looked at it in an editor, or watched demos on it.

This is not the thread to post first-exit demos, or failed demo attempts. Post them in the threads where they belong.

The normal practice with first demo attempts (or FDAs for short) is to restart*** the map after a death, and keep playing the map from scratch until you exit (or give up). It is nice to give some stats for these attempts, including number of deaths, total time, and perhaps number of missed monsters/secrets if you were trying for Max kills.

---------------------------------------------------

*** To clear up the ambiguous wording, it is customary to keep playing after dying by respawning, not by quitting and restarting the map. -dew

Now back to ArmouredBlood's original post:

---------------------------------------------------

1st attempt demos lasting about an hour on phmlspeed MAP06 (Don't know how long link will last, check the thread in wads/mods if it breaks). Did not finish but I think I was getting close.

ab-phmlspdm061st-attempts.zip

Could someone post the version of phmlspd that was used for these map06 demos? It looks like map06 was updated today and now the demos desync.

I think 1st demos should be moved out from miscdemos to a separate thread.

Also I strongly doubt what Andy should grab 1st demos into the same space with speeddemos. IMO it's very special cathegory, nonsensical for "record" tables and hard to maintain.

And for optimal naming of f/a demos I suggest using standart 8-letter template, replacing time with unique player's id. Examples: {ph06-azr} (Anima Zero's 1st attempt on Phmlspd map 06), {n2d4fhth} (hitherto's 1st attempt with fastmonsters on nmdu.wad e2m4). In case of multi-part f/a demo inside archive last letter may be replaced with part number, ex: {n3d2fht2}. Time of total stream length, exit time, and number of deaths (if any) should be written into corresponding text file.

Yeah, a miscellaneous first attempts thread seems like a good idea.

TimeOfDeath said:
Could someone post the version of phmlspd that was used for these map06 demos? It looks like map06 was updated today and now the demos desync.

Here it is; level 6 only WAD, so it needs Phmlspd in the command line first.

phmls06.zip

Hitherto: I've actually just finished adding a separate category for FDAs(Never Again forwarded a bunch to me a few weeks ago). The only place it's used so far is here. It'll function as a catch-all category without regard to goals and such, as they're really more of a novelty. If there are deaths, I'll include the final time as a comment.

Andy Olivera said:
I've actually just finished adding a separate category for FDAs (Never Again forwarded a bunch to me a few weeks ago

Well then, kind sir! May be I should forward to you my own small bunch of fda's too? It is just over 15MB of zipped demos (i.e. ~100 hours). All produced in last two years - I'm a lazy player.

Feel free to send the demos! I can't guarantee they'll all be up quickly, but I'll get them posted, eventually.:-)

You are strong one, Andy! :)

But it was a joke. I don't want to publicate all this private garbage.

My modus operandi when playing new levels is to record FDAs on them. I figured I'd post this one so people can see how I play when confronted with an unfamiliar level. Make sure you have at least half an hour to spare, though, 'cause this level's pretty long! There are also three places where I stand still for a short period of time for different reasons (once because I had to replace my mouse's battery, the other two because I was checking the automap to see if I forgot to explore any areas.) Enjoy anyway.

tttef_1sttry_byTGH.zip - FDA on The transport tycoon's epic fall (tttef.wad) by Aluqah

• Skill: Ultra-Violence
  • Time: 30:42
  • Stats: 101%/94%/0%
  • Deaths: 0

An impressive map, I must say. And TGH forgot to mention his 1% health in the middle of the demo with hitscanners involved - at the gas station ;)

vdgg said:

An impressive map, I must say. And TGH forgot to mention his 1% health in the middle of the demo with hitscanners involved - at the gas station ;)

Yeah, that was funny. :)

In this thread I started playing all wads on /idgames starting with the '94 wads, then '95, etc., using this list that GreyGhost posted. Tonight I continued the quest and recorded FDA demos (even though I can't learn most of the maps properly while recording). I didn't include text files, but added stuff to the filename: ml = monsters left, sl = secrets left, d = deaths.

Again in 12:36 - 4ml 0sl 0d
The Castle : Map 28 in 10:54 - 1ml 3sl 0d
More Twisting Halls in 21:07 - 4ml 5sl 0d
Indiana Jones DOOM ][ in 32:14 - 8ml 0sl 0d (8 unkillable cybers)
Malignant in 21:55 - 0ml 4sl 0d
"Monsters" in 0:24 0ml 0sl 2d
NEVER2 in 44:47 - 0ml 0sl 0d
Pyro's Revenge in 7:10 - 2ml 0sl 0d
rooftops in 10:23 - 0ml 0sl 1d
Satan's Lair FAIL in 66:50 - 120ml 5sl 2d
8 Pointed Star Chamber in 11:34 - 0ml 0sl 0d
Surreal2 in 7:08 - 3ml 3sl 0d
wwcc in 11:52 - 0ml 0sl 0d
Zeh in 12:01 - 0ml 0sl 0d

For the NEVER2 demo, I tried finding all the monsters for a while before pressing the exit, but there were still 13 left. Since the map was kinda long, I eventually did iddt x2, but those 13 monsters were released after you press what I thought was the exit switch...

For the Satan's Lair demo, I avoided walking into the exit and spent a lot of time pressing walls to try to find all monsters and secrets until I was killed by a crusher. I checked in an editor after that, and the next area I was planning to check (after the area I got crushed) was where the missing keycard was...

Heh, want to see how not to play Phml's Pendragon Map01? Any joke WAD needs its joke demo, am I right?!

Although the joke is on me. In this instance, FDA might as well mean first dumb attempt.

I had fun playing, for certain, but it amuses me how a bit more brains would have made all that suicidal brawn unnecessary.

I put the demos here because they're not Boom compatible, as per Phml's thread.

To watch these demos, use PrBoom+, make a copy of your PrBoom+ or GLBoom+ CFG, calling it no_intercepts.cfg and edit overrun_intercept_emulate to 0 (it should be 1 normally) and apply that CFG with the -config command. If you don't, the intercepts overflows desynch the demos, probably causing the all-ghosts effect.

These are long, so, if that doesn't put you off, keep the "fast forward" key handy while watching.

pen-myk.zip

Yup, my first few tries looked a lot like that. Emphasis on few :P

In all fairness I also committed the crime of editor spying very quickly.

Hilarious demos. :)

Combining all three, you spent more than twice as much time playing the map as I did mapping. I should just quit normal maps and make joke wads, great return on time investment. :p

Here's tonight's session: btw, I only used iddt on the NEVER2 demo, just at the end. While recording these FDA demos, I check the automap a lot to look for white/orange walls (without iddt) and purple secret sectors and general layout, etc.

37:39 - 0ml 1sl 0d - APOCALYPSE
23:01 - map01 - 0ml 0sl 0d - atari
25:26 - map02 - 0ml 0sl 1d - atari
9:58 - 2ml 2sl 0d - Bud1
6:11 - 0ml 0sl 1d - Cry
24:03 - 0ml 0sl 0d - Sudden Death
15:14 - 0ml 0sl 1d - doh
24:54 - 16ml 0sl 0d - Doomsday (16 "unkillable" cybers at the end)
37:57 - 2ml 0sl 0d - Hell's Gate and Hell's Alley
6:50 - 2ml 0sl 0d - Locked in jail!
28:22 - 0ml 1sl 0d - The Key
25:48 - 0ml 0sl 0d - The Monastery
7:19 - 0ml 0sl 2d - Mountain
18:36 - 0ml 1sl 0d - Paranoia 1.2
23:31 - 0ml 0sl 0d - Shadows of Darkness
32:25 - 3ml 2sl 0d - "Shoots" -N- Ladders
5:22 - 0ml 0sl 0d - Trench Warfare Deux

Here are FDA demos from January 12-15: FDA-Jan12to15-2009.zip

12:50 - 0m 0s 0d - ABSOLOM
16:42 - map03 - 0m 0s 0d - AKKKMWAD
8:53 - 0m 0s 0d - Antares
4:25 - 0m 0s 0d - bblast01
18:24 - 0m 0s 0d - Blood 'n Guts Part One
35:30 - 1m 2s 0d - Buzzard's Delight
17:51 - 2m 2s 0d - Hell's Crosshairs
11:56 - 0m 0s 0d - Grim, son of Grunt
5:40 - 0m 0s 0d - Depth labyrinth
2:59 - 1m 0s 0d - Deathmatch Cathedral
11:06 - 0m 1s 0d - DoomsDay'95 One Player
19:28 - 0m 0s 0d - The Fortified Castle
9:33 - 28m 2s 0d - GAOL
12:54 - 0m 1s 0d - INSTANT DEATH
6:42 - 0m 0s 0d - JAX01
15:55 - 0m 0s 0d - JAX02
1:45 - 0m 0s 0d - map02 - marc1
8:58 - 0m 0s 0d - map03 - marc1 (stuck)
2:37 - 0m 0s 0d - map04 - marc1
11:50 - 0m 0s 0d - Pyro's Revenge 2
8:04 - 0m 0s 0d - map01 - The Complete RAVEN SERIES
25:34 - 5m 0s 0d - REBOOT
0:59 - 0m 0s 0d - ROOM2
13:55 - 0m 1s 0d - The Smelly Part of Hell
15:12 - 0m 0s 0d - The Twin Brothers
9:41 - 0m 0s 1d - Cyberdemons Unleashed!
6:09 - 0m 0s 0d - Wrong key? Wrong door?
11:46 - 0m 0s 0d - Watch your back too (2)!

heh, because I am very slow? I'm sorry, my FDA demos are probably pretty boring to watch. I look at the automap a lot and try to find all secrets/monsters. Also, I make all FDA demos on a laptop because my doom computer doesn't have internet, and the laptop keyboard is annoying and the mouse sometimes does fast 360's, so I'm scared of making a mistake.