Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eargosedown

DBZone speed runs?

I was just getting back into the co-op ZDaemon mood earlier, and I realized a lot of these maps may be fun to speed run, since they're usually completable by a single player.

I was wondering if anyone has actually done speed runs of these maps, though a forum search turned up nothing.

I'd like to see some routes done and compare them with my own =)

After I tried to record a demo in Zdaemon, my desire was gone. There is no normal demo-record commands, only for netplay, and for this i'll tried to start local game and played through this wad... Nothing good, only lags and problems with dumb physics of zdaemon...

I tried recording a speed-movie of map01-map06 a couple years ago in zdaemon, but my server would crash like 75% of the time when map03 started. I didn't use zdoom because you can't bump items like you can in zdaemon (rocket jumping into the wall to bump a key in map01), and the rocket jumping is different. It must've been a no-deaths attempt, because I remember trying to keep bfg from map01 until the end of map06. The furthest I got was somewhere in map06 but I died during a rocket jump I think.

I've actually never played the wad off of ZDaemon, but last night I actually had fun trying to find speed routes through it. Would it even be possible to complete in ZDoom? I don't think I've ever played it without unlimited ammo, so I'm not sure if there's actually enough to complete the maps. If it is, I may just try my hand at some UV-Speeds in it.

No idea why this map set got my interest so much, but it's very....hmmm unique?

I guess you know there's an infinite ammo option in ZDoom? ZDoom also has a -host command line that lets you respawn after dying, like in coop servers. Yeah, I like dbzone too. I didn't notice that many shortcuts in v7 though, except in map01. In map02, if you still have the rocket launcher from map01, you can rocket jump to the train car that has the key for the exit. In map03, you can stand against the box with the key in it on the rooftop, shoot a rocket towards the ground so your back hits the box and you bump the key. In map04, you can rocket jump into the castle from the start. In map06, there are two rocket jump spots, but you need a lot of health and there are no spheres (that's why I died in the speed movie, I didn't have enough health for the second rocket jump). But most of the maps require you to have all keys before exiting. And map07 is completely anti-speed and max, since all the scripted spawning monsters are timed. Same goes for map08. But I dunno what's different in v8.

dbzone_v7 map01 speed 1:24 (ZDaemon)