Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > The Two Types of Glides
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 4 [5]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:24. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
odysseyofnoises

In zdaemon I have, in several instances, witnessed players void gliding during deathmatch

Old Post 07-30-12 19:53 #
odysseyofnoises is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Looper

I went to test a situation like this with xdre:
One wall is going directly north-east and second is going directly north. Then I placed 2 players to form a "wall" to test if it's possible to do the void glide.
| = wall going directly north
/ = wall going directly north-east
oo = two players forming a wall
g = guy trying to go to the void
... = space

...|
oo|
g/
/

For some reason, guy trying to go to the void bounced from the wall to south-west with speed of 29.120328. The strange part is that it kept going with that speed, even with WT tics inserted :P It stopped when he hit a wall.

When the void glide succeed with normal walls, the distance moved is over 60. I think I got it as high as 67.93.

Old Post 07-30-12 21:47 #
Looper is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
odysseyofnoises

how exactly am i supposed to push the button from the outside in e2m6?

Old Post 07-30-12 22:22 #
odysseyofnoises is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Archy
Forum Regular

odysseyofnoises said:
how exactly am i supposed to push the button from the outside in e2m6?

This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I've spend over 3 hours try to get the switch to activate, and nothing has happened. Getting outside of the map was the easy part -- and that wasn't even easy.

Old Post 07-30-12 23:02 #
Archy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
odysseyofnoises

ive managed to get it two times when testing, but now ive been trying for hours and cant get it... i got to the void quickly though

Old Post 07-30-12 23:09 #
Looper

Just look perpendicular to the wall and slide to the correct position. Correct position in this case is that you can barely see the button. That's the easiest way I think.

Fastest way should be to use some other angles, but I think that would require some calculations or extreme amount of luck.

Old Post 07-30-12 23:24 #
Looper is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dew
experts

looper: i've experienced this type of elastic mega-collision too, even when using just walls. i actually got it to work (almost, kinda) reliably and i remember gusta talking about exploiting a similar (the same?) effect for a speed trick in some future map of his.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthr...962#post1091962

here, if you move the barrels around a little, you'll get the elastic effect eventually. :P

Old Post 07-30-12 23:44 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Looper

Looper said:

For some reason, guy trying to go to the void bounced from the wall to south-west with speed of 29.120328. The strange part is that it kept going with that speed, even with WT tics inserted :P It stopped when he hit a wall.

Whoops! Probably because the doomguy was midair (and hit the ground at the same tic as he hit the wall)... silly me. Although the deceleration was kind of slow but I guess it was still normal :p

I admit that he looks like John Cleese, huehuehue.

Old Post 07-31-12 01:31 #
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Regarding pressing the e2m6 exit switch from the void (and other such cases), the main point to understand is that this isn't a normal switch trick. You can't press it through the wall. This type of linedef will "eat" use-key presses. You need to press the end of the exit linedef itself, and obviously from the correct side. For this, you need to approach it pretty much as in a glide, and align yourself perfectly with it, and be pressing use at exactly the right moment so that you are in contact with the linedef but infinitessimally on the correct side of it. As I say, it is just like a glide, except that at the critical moment you press the switch rather than slide through a gap.

This is one reason why void glides are only useful in a narrow range of circumstances - the exit linedef needs to touch the void directly and the player needs enough room to slide up to it.

Other demos that use this:
http://doomedsda.us/wad1736.html
http://doomedsda.us/wad1501.html (my nomo - there's no void glide here, but there is a linedef that eats use-key presses)

This is one "hidden" feature that makes xepop's p2m6 so impressive - to the untrained eye it looks like a normal switch trick (and that he executes it a little uncleanly), whereas it is something requiring precision that he accomplishes very quickly.

Old Post 07-31-12 05:22 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Maybe old news but I noticed that in Resurgence beta1 map30 I'm able to do a classic guided glide without positioning myself "properly". Instead of 0 angle I can use something like 23, didn't know that was possible. Recorded with -complevel 2 so that I could use -longtics.

Attachment: resur-glide.zip
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

Last edited by Memfis on 08-29-14 at 13:44

Old Post 08-29-14 11:14 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote