Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Sunder demos [-complevel 9]

Nice! Hehe, you almost got blocked by those revs. Next time please use Doomworld's attachment system instead of random file hostings that may stop working suddenly or remove your file for inactivity or something.

Memfis said:

Nice! Hehe, you almost got blocked by those revs. Next time please use Doomworld's attachment system instead of random file hostings that may stop working suddenly or remove your file for inactivity or something.

also, you are welcome to add a small txt file where you describe the port used and complevel used in order to replay correctly the demo and the likes

Here's one that should be fun to watch:

Map 10: The Hags Finger UV-Pacifist, 13:37 (attached)

I swear the final time was a coincidence.

I wasn't taking it too seriously when recording, so there are plenty of times where I'm moving around unnecessarily, or intentionally taking hits. The cyber/arach infighting can be done a lot faster than is shown in the demo, so this time can definitely be improved by a minute or two.

su10_uvpacifist_1337.zip

Ribbiks, awesome! I never before it did not saw so impressive pacifist demos!

Here's another one:

Map 09: The Cage UV-Pacifist, 11:32 (attached)

This one is nowhere near as interesting as map10pacifist. Basically it's a minute of me juking out demons, then 10 minutes wandering around an empty map waiting FOREVER for switches to be revealed.

There are plenty of things that can go wrong though, for example the lone AV can go vigilante and wander around the map causing all sorts of trouble, but I got lucky and he stayed around the starting area in this run.

su09_uvpacifist_1132.zip

I'm glad you find them entertaining, they've been very fun to record! Anyways, here's another one:

Map 01: Python UV-Pacifist, 2:51 (attached)

Surprisingly hectic, though the moment you get past the imp swarm you're pretty much golden. I might redo this one, I spend more time than I need to by the exit area waiting for monsters to move.

I'm running out of maps that I think I can record demos on though, for most of them pacifist is probably impossible, and there's no way I'll be beating oku or jario's uv-max times on the latter maps anytime soon. The only plausible runs I can see myself attempting in in the near future:

Map05 UV-Pacifist (I think it's possible, but ungodly annoying)
Map06 UV-Speed (using an AV jump that skips like 70% of the level)

Map12 is dangerously close to being a doable pacifist run, but that second to last room makes it impossible

su01_uvpacifist_251.zip

Those maxes of mine are old and not very good, 2-4 especially. I'm thinking of replaying sometime when I get some more time on my hands.

regardless they're way better than I could hope to do, I'll be looking forward to your improved demos.

Ribbiks said in su06_uvspeed_211.txt:
Exe: PrBoom+ v2.5.1.2 -complevel 9

This, the MAP09 Pacifist and probably the rest of your demos in this thread are not "-complevel 9". Looks like you have "default_compatibility_level" set to the default "-1" in the .cfg and no complevel on the command line, or else the complevel is entered incorrectly (e.g. "complevel 9", without the required dash).

Map05 UV-Pacifist (I think it's possible, but ungodly annoying)

It's somewhat easy if you glide to the exit, which I assume is what happens in those ten seconds demos in the DSDA. :)

A pacifist demo playing the level "normally" would be interesting to watch regardless.

Never_Again said:

This, the MAP09 Pacifist and probably the rest of your demos in this thread are not "-complevel 9". Looks like you have "default_compatibility_level" set to the default "-1" in the .cfg and no complevel on the command line, or else the complevel is entered incorrectly (e.g. "complevel 9", without the required dash).

shit yeah you're correct. In my ignorance for some reason I assumed since the mapset was meant for boom it would 'magically' default to 9. After reading the sticky I see that because I used default complevel the demos may not play back in other ports, I'll be sure to actually specify the cl in future demos. I apologize for not realizing this.

I also noticed someone uploaded a few of my demos to the dsda, is there anyway to correct the files there?

Phml said:

It's somewhat easy if you glide to the exit, which I assume is what happens in those ten seconds demos in the DSDA. :)

A pacifist demo playing the level "normally" would be interesting to watch regardless.

Yeah, I noticed that, which made me wonder if anyone would even bother to watch my demo in the same category that's way longer. I'm glad it might be viewed as entertaining regardless. I know it's possible (I've done it with saves, final time ~2:30), but doing it in a single run is infuriating, there are so many things that can go wrong and I swear 98% of my attempts end by randomly falling somewhere (I'm currently up to about ~150 failed attempts so far)

Yeah, I noticed that, which made me wonder if anyone would even bother to watch my demo in the same category that's way longer.

I would, but beyond that... Your guess is as good as mine. ;)

Perhaps you could ask Andy Olivera to add "glideless run" or something to the comment field? He's also the guy you want to contact to change anything on DSDA, as far as I know.

Map 05: Precarious, UV-Max 10:28

There's a much more detailed commentary in the text-file, so I'll just put some passing thoughts about the map/demo here:

- never before have PEs caused me so much grief.
- the amount of awkward footing is almost on par with 'The Cage', monsters (especially cybies) seem to get stuck quite often.
- would it have killed insane-gazebo to put a teleporter in the lava somewhere?
- I copied oku/j4rio's tactics in a few places, it seemed to be the most reliable strategy.
- I was pretty nervous during the final area, it probably didn't help that I got butt-plowed by a cybie mid-fight

su05_1028.zip

I think I'll give it a try, I've really been in a slaughtery mood lately :)

Map 07: Hollow Icon, UV-Max 17:00

This may be my favorite sunder map, the visuals are amazing and the fights are really fun. As usual some of my playing is a bit sketchy, but I managed to clear the map pretty quickly anyways. I'm happy enough that I even made it to the exit, I think this is the longest demo I've recorded so far.

su07_1700.zip

@Ribbiks
Wow, you are cutting through those previous records like a knife through butter. I will watch all of these when I get back from work today :)

cannonball said:

Wow, you are cutting through those previous records like a knife through butter.

mostly through a combination of luck and slightly reckless playing :p

also I have way too much free time.

Nevan said:

Awesome. I wanna see you do Map13!

I could try, but I haven't come remotely close to beating this one yet. map13 and map14 are extremely mean

Map 12: The Zealous Machine, UV-Speed in 8:17

I kept dying on my UV-max attempts, so I made this in the meantime. I hate the invul placement in the last room, for some reason I always fall down there -.-

su12_uvspeed_817.zip