Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Final DOOM demos [-complevel 4]

ZeroMaster010 said:

... what a rush.

Your run really deserves a thread of its own. It's a milestone achievement.

A slight correction for your TXT file:

this is also the first time episode 1 of plutonia has been done on nightmare.

Istvan Pataki did the whole game on NM in 1999, but of course that run was TAS and not vanilla-compatible. To do this live is another thing altogether.

A truly superb demo! I would definitely love to see what you can accomplish on episodes 2 and 3 in Plutonia. Who knows, maybe even a full Plutonia NM run one day.

Some of the demos you have been putting out lately have been extremely refreshing to watch, seeing that improvements can be made in a whole array of WADs. Please keep it up!

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated!

True, there is also a full NM TAS run.

Regarding episode 2 and 3, or a full movie, that will never happen. When I first tried plutonia on nightmare I managed to exit map 10 with about 100 health and 160 armor, which is amazing. Map 11 is very easy if you do a trigger skip since there will be no arch viles.

Then comes map 12, and there is really no way to get through this map without a ridiculous amount of luck. I did in the end manage to get through using the same route as I did in my UV-speed run, that is using the rocket jump. But the chance of reaching map 12 with a high amount of armor and actually making it through is extremely low. For an episode 2 run you would pretty much be doing pistol start with BFG and 120 cells from map 11. I have no idea how hard the IL strat is, but it would probably not be worth it.

And if you can get through map 12, then you have map 13... when I reached it after loading from map 12 with 100\160 health\armor several times I stopped at this map because I figured I wouldn't survive the next map because of a lack of health, however I forgot about the megasphere at the end of map 13, so I might just for fun try to get through the game (with saving on each map) again.

As for episode 3, I have no idea if it's possible or not, but I can imagine map 22 and 23 (Impossible mission and Tombstone) making it not worth anyones time :)

I feel like a 11-20 nm run for Plutonia should be very possible, and I did some practice on it a while ago, however, I am terrible at the trick in map12, and I need to practice map15. Map13 and 14 are a challenge, but are very possible.

Did a playthrough starting on map 15, didn't take as long as I thought it would. I would imagine map 15 could be significantly more easy if you can kill several of the chaingunners at the other side starting with a rocket launcher. Then you just rush the invurnability and exit by the time it wears off.

Map 16 and 17 (death exit) are easy, map 18 is very scary if you want to do the archvile jump, but shouldn't be too bad. Map 19 is easy, and 20 I had lots of problems with the 4 barons by the switch before the blue key jump.

Map 14 shouldn't be too bad since you grab megasphere on map 13.

So, since map 11 is easy, the only real problem is map 12 and 13, and maybe after a closer look on map 20 there might be a way to do it more consistent. Now, map 12 and 13 are obviously very early on in an episode run, so I suppose it should be possible, but I won't touch it unless there is some easy way to reach teleporter and do a rocket jump + archvile jump :)

As for episode 3, map 21 is very short and so map 22 should be doable, but then I needed to make a save in almost every sector on tombstone to get anywhere.

Map 24 is not too bad because of megasphere at the start and invurnability, map 25-29 aren't too bad either... I already had trouble on map 30 in UV, I have no idea how to do that on nightmare. I guess episode 3 is doable as well, but I can't imagine it would be fun to die every time one would reach map 30.

Then again, I haven't even looked at the nightmare IL's, that might make things a bit easier.

So I found something weird that I couldn't find anywhere else (I looked through some demos of this map on DSDA and such), so I'm assuming this is something that isn't documented anywhere. I was recording a solo-net max attempt om MAP03 of TNT, and when I went through the teleporter at the start, I appeared in a closet near the yellow key. I believe that I have line skipped one of the teleport triggers here, but after quite a few tries, I wasn't able to replicate it. Is this new? If so, I'm sure this would save time in any speed run of this map, including nomonsters, right?
edit: upon more playing, it appears that its just a co-op thing, I guess? I dunno, most of the time it doesnt spit me out in a different spot, but sometimes it does...

tnt03-wtf.zip

You skipped one linedef. Yes, the teleporter destination (thing 27) is marked "multiplayer only". But this is awesome, I never new about these multiple W1 linedefs.

Yar, an Arch-Vile- and Mancubus-sawing bonanza. j4rio should have a custom title now. Two suggestions:
1. ch4ins4w!
2. likes punching and sawing stuff*

I thought I'd developed an allergy to TNT E1 but this run was pretty refreshing.

Shall we see E2 receive the same treatment?

* - an indirect quote from je-fda-j4.txt

lunacy, that demo treads the line between captivating and extremely tedious :D. Definitely an accomplishment. sick barrel and infighting usage, mad chainsaw skillz. some clever strats as well, I liked the tele-abuse AV kill in 03, manc immobilization in 04, the telepad kills in 07, cool stuff. sawing barons to death though ffs -.-

Thank you, j4rio! Map 29 is also possible. You can use the arch-vile to slowly harvest lots of ammo from the chaingunners at the lava room. It should be easy to repeatedly open and close the secret door to be safe and cause infights. Requires lots of patience, though.

j4rio said:

tnt map 18 tyson 48:51

Very nice, I always knew this map was possible but never got around to actually doing it.
Surprising how much damage the cyber took from the other monsters and the leftover ammo - possible improvement there?

Plutonia Map 13 NM-Speed in 00:49.26

Previous record 2:12 by Vincent Catalaa, though NM 100 is 1:16 by Xit Vono.

First I do a south directed guideless glide, then I kill a baron before I do a guidless north(!!!) directed glide. I could spend 20 minutes trying to do a glide like that and not get it to work, so I got very lucky to get this in few attempts.

Why am I doing north directed glides on nightmare all of the sudden? Well, I've got something big planned, I'll post more about that soon :)

pn13-049.zip

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment, Episode 3 NM-Speed in 15:46 (15:50.57)

Well, I said that ep2\3\d2all would never be done, turns out map 30 wasn't as bad as I had thought by using a cheap trick so here's episode 3!

Not nearly as many close calls as my episode 1 run, though map 25 didn't need to be that close.

I am still not sure if episode 2 is doable in any reasonable amount of time. You would need a death exit at map 12, and you would have to spend 1 minute on map 11 before each attempt. Though stx-vile has done NM 100 in 1:07 using this trick so it's not impossible. Then you have to do map 13 from pistol start and the only weapon you get is a SSG before a rocket launcher by the exit. Somehow you would probably need to get the megasphere in the end as well, because you need the health for map 14.

If that is possible then I could see an episode 2 run happen, but it doesn't seem like a lot of fun having to reset to failing map 12 over and over only to die on map 13.

However, map 12 is not as difficult as I had thought... in a movie run! and neither is map 13. The lack of hitscanners on map 12 means you can with a well planned route dodge most of the attacks and with some well placed BFG's clear almost everything that can prevent you from doing the RJ. The RJ itself only takes about 70-80 damage or so instead of 128 damage. On map 13 you can kill the mancubi from the blue key door room, so you should have 100\200 for going for the blue key. Another option is to glide through, though this can be very dangerous because of baron respawning might slowly kill you if you are too slow with the glide.

With megasphere on the end of map 13 then map 14,15,16,17 should all be easy, map 18 is very random, but I think with practice around 75% success rate should be possible, map 19 and 20 are easy and so comes episode 3.

So, I'd like to announce that I have completely lost my mind and that I will try find a route so that I can do a full single segment run of plutonia on nightmare difficulty! Don't expect anything though :)

1546pn21.zip

ZeroMaster010 said:

So, I'd like to announce that I have completely lost my mind and that I will try find a route so that I can do a full single segment run of plutonia on nightmare difficulty! Don't expect anything though :)

You truly are insane :D Awesome run by the way.

Great job, ZM! And you make it look so easy, too.

ZeroMaster010 said:

So, I'd like to announce that I have completely lost my mind

You have my approval on that. ;)