Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Fastest way to record start a demo over.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:57. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

What is the fastest way to start over when you die or a demo otherwise doesn't go your way? Right now I run from a Windows command window and when I need to restart I go F10 - Y - Up - Enter

Is this as fast as I can go or is there an even quicker way?

Old Post 07-23-11 19:29 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

Yes, in classic ports you have to reload the game.

I think you can configure ZDoom so that it will record only your last attempt.

Old Post 07-23-11 20:25 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

i use prboom+, record.BAT on my desktop and key_quit on Y.

Old Post 07-23-11 20:26 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Belial

Batch files and insta-quits.

Old Post 07-23-11 20:44 #
Belial is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rizera

Belial said:
Batch files and insta-quits.

How do you insta-quit? I find it pretty annoying that you have to confirm your exit with the Y button.

Old Post 07-23-11 20:58 #
Rizera is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Belial

Q in vanilla, double Y (I guess that's the reason for dew's bind) in pr.

Old Post 07-23-11 22:01 #
Belial is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
eternal slumber

It'd be cool if there was a "restart" option or something, you just press the key and the screen wipes and starts over with a new demo file. And an option for if you die, all you have to do is press spacebar and the screen wipes and a new demo file starts (instead of the deaths being included). Is that possible in prboom-plus?

Old Post 07-23-11 22:48 #
eternal slumber is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Just wrote the crappiest C++ program ever
code:
#include <iostream> #include <string> #include <sstream> using namespace std; int main () { int i = 0; stringstream numtoint; string demoname = "C:\\Doom\\glboom-plus.exe -file sunder.wad -warp 01 -skill 4 -record ducker"; string command = "C:\\Doom\\glboom-plus.exe -file sunder.wad -warp 01 -skill 4 -record ducker"; string num = ""; while(true) { numtoint.str(""); numtoint << i; num = numtoint.str(); system(demoname.c_str()); demoname = command + num; i++; } return 0; }
to save me from two key presses.

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to record a legit playthrough of Sunder MAP01 since I think InsaneGazebo is upset at me over the whole 1hp thing.

eternal slumber said:
It'd be cool if there was a "restart" option or something, you just press the key and the screen wipes and starts over with a new demo file. And an option for if you die, all you have to do is press spacebar and the screen wipes and a new demo file starts (instead of the deaths being included). Is that possible in prboom-plus?
I would love this.

Old Post 07-23-11 23:10 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pirx
Forum Regular

Belial said:
Q in vanilla, double Y (I guess that's the reason for dew's bind) in pr.

this instant exit on pressing Q pissed me off to no end when i was playing vanilla. especially after i started binding weapons to the keys around WASD in other games, i have the rocket launcher or a similar heavy weapon mapped to Q. or if you just touch Q while switching weapons (fist / pistol) with the numbers row. imo not the best design back then.

eternal slumber said:

that would be a neat feature in a future prboom+ release.

Old Post 07-24-11 22:00 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

I use WASD and still hate not having Q exit a demo recording. Actually, using WASD makes Q more convenient.

Old Post 07-24-11 22:09 #
Pirx
Forum Regular

it depends on the player, i see. best is to have a customizable option, rather than force using a certain key.

Old Post 07-25-11 00:13 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SAV88

I record and play back demos with PrBoom Plus, and I'm used to launch it through the "Start -> Execute" command in Windows (in my German system it's "Start -> Ausführen"). So I'm used to start each new recording attempt by pressing instantly "F10 - Y - Win - Up - Up - Up - Enter - Enter".

Old Post 07-25-11 12:14 #
SAV88 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
entryway
Forum Staple

SAV88 said:
So I'm used to start each new recording attempt by pressing instantly
"F10 - Y - Win - Up - Up - Up - Enter - Enter".

"Y - Y - WinR - Enter" is shorter a little

Old Post 07-25-11 12:18 #
entryway is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

I tried that for a little while but with a cmd window open you don't have to do a key combo and up arrow is closer to enter.

Old Post 07-25-11 21:49 #
tempun

DuckReconMajor said:
Just wrote the crappiest C++ program ever to save me from two key presses.
This doesn't compile, needs #include <cstdlib>

Old Post 07-25-11 22:00 #
tempun is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote