Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Doom Speedrun Youtube Channel
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:11. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TheNebulousThinker
Warming Up

I got this idea not too long a go about making a youtube channel for mostly Doom speedrunning and a few other things doom related. It would be updated on a weekly basis with new content.

Things the channel would include:
Random Speedrun playlist
*Any speedrun I choose to upload will be uploaded to this playlist
*Give author credit in video description
*Give information on the wad and such

My Demo playlist
*Any of my lmp files I choose to upload goes here

Categories Playlist
*Each category has it's own specific playlist so we can be organized and the user can find specific categories

Information on whats uploaded and what will be.

Does this sound like a good idea because I'm going to try it?
Where does this thread belong? Is it fine here?

Old Post 12-22-11 17:22 #
TheNebulousThinker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Melon

I know that some speedrunners upload their demos to youtube themselves. Personally I'd feel a bit iffy about uploading somebody else's run as there's always the possibility that they'd rather do it themselves, or maybe they don't want it shared on youtube for some reason.

I'm sure plenty of people will be more than happy if you ask first though. Can never be too careful.

Old Post 12-22-11 19:42 #
Melon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cannonball

Many people upload to youtube already, but some of the best doomers do not. From what I can remember Qaatar used to upload demos from belial, anima zero and such doom gods, but he's been silent for months. It should be fine if you ask the respective speedrunner in advance.

Old Post 12-22-11 19:51 #
cannonball is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Yes, you should definitely get the player's permission before uploading a video of someone else's demo.

Old Post 12-22-11 21:08 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheNebulousThinker
Warming Up

Grazza said:
Yes, you should definitely get the player's permission before uploading a video of someone else's demo.

Of course. I treat a demo as property and will only upload with permission. I'm still thinking about this and I will update this thread once the channel gets going. I know a lot of people upload to youtube but I thought having a youtube channel that focuses on a variety of demos and speedrunners would be something new? I always enjoyed watching different people play on random maps and I want others to be able to view them with ease (I know DSDA can completely own my channel, but what if the person doesn't know how to do that kind of stuff).

Good idea or bad idea?
Thanks for the responses!

Old Post 12-23-11 03:43 #
TheNebulousThinker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vile
The man made of sticks

It could be a good idea for lazy people like me, who seems behind on demos and wads of today. Showcasing a random demo of interest can draw attention to a wad/demo that may have been overlooked.

Old Post 12-23-11 17:31 #
Vile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Belial

Feel free to upload any of mine if you wish.

Old Post 12-24-11 12:38 #
Belial is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

As a person who watches more doom demo's than makes them, I'm definitely one of the people who would love the idea, I'm sure there are a lot of demos on this board that went unwatched (by me anyway)

Old Post 12-24-11 19:24 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Akse

Sounds like a very good idea.

Old Post 12-24-11 20:27 #
Akse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

Belial said:

Old Post 12-25-11 03:45 #
TimeOfDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheNebulousThinker
Warming Up

The replies just put a smile on my face. As of right now the channel has now been created, but nothing has been done/edited to have a more doom-like atmosphere. In the future I will keep ya'll up to date on the channel within this thread.

I will be working on getting some demos uploaded in the near future. It is now time to relax, pack a bowl, and watch some demos, and pass out. Thank you for the replies!

Old Post 12-25-11 05:38 #
Memfis
Forum Spammer

I think it would be nice if you would upload some zdoom demos, since they can be a PITA to watch in the engines (no fast forward, no pause, and you need to find the right version).

also

Belial said:

Old Post 12-25-11 10:59 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkreaver

40oz said:
As a person who watches more doom demo's than makes them, I'm definitely one of the people who would love the idea, I'm sure there are a lot of demos on this board that went unwatched (by me anyway)

I`m jumping in on this one

Old Post 12-25-11 12:33 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Akse

Memfis said:
I think it would be nice if you would upload some zdoom demos, since they can be a PITA to watch in the engines (no fast forward, no pause, and you need to find the right version).

I think that uploading zdoom demos on the youtube will be pain in the ass as well.

Old Post 12-25-11 16:24 #
Akse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

:P

Not sure it's a good idea. You tend to delete videos, channels or create new dw accounts when high and stuff.
Also

Belial said:

Old Post 12-26-11 18:46 #
j4rio is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheNebulousThinker
Warming Up

The channel is up and running with 2 videos so far.
Click here to view the channel.

How do you like it?
What does it need?

I won't be uploading videos on a daily basis, but I want to at least upload 3 demos a week.

Old Post 12-28-11 01:03 #
NoobBait

Looks good so far, but you may want to include the time in the description for each demo as well.

Edit: Just thought I'd add that you're more than welcome to add any of my demos.

Last edited by NoobBait on 12-28-11 at 01:41

Old Post 12-28-11 01:10 #
NoobBait is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

TheNebulousThinker said:
The channel is up and running with 2 videos so far.
Click here to view the channel.
How do you like it?

It's very good that you are giving the name of the player in the title and including the text-file comments and a link to the player's DSDA page. As long as you intend always to do that, feel free to upload any of mine if you wish.

All I'd suggest adding is a link to the lmp itself file too (some players have a lot of demos at DSDA!), and, as NoobBait says, the time too. Maybe a link to this forum too?

The videos themselves look nicely made and the settings (standard status bar, no odd colours/effects, etc.).

Old Post 12-28-11 01:40 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ancalagon

Belial said:

And if you do, don't include my comments, I only write how bad the demos are (when I do)

Last edited by Ancalagon on 12-28-11 at 02:52

Old Post 12-28-11 02:46 #
Ancalagon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SAV88

Also, feel free to upload any of mine if you wish (but preferably newer ones).

Old Post 12-28-11 07:40 #
SAV88 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Altima

Interesting. Funny coincidence, that.

Old Post 12-28-11 12:29 #
Altima is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheNebulousThinker
Warming Up

Grazza said:
All I'd suggest adding is a link to the lmp itself file too.

Done

Grazza said:
Maybe a link to this forum too?

Done

NoobBait said:
You may want to include the time in the description for each demo as well.

Done

Ancalagon said:
And if you do, don't include my comments, I only write how bad the demos are (when I do)

Ok.

SAV88 said:
Also, feel free to upload any of mine if you wish (but preferably newer ones).

Ok.

Thank you for permission everybody!

Altima said:
Interesting. Funny coincidence, that.

What?

Old Post 12-28-11 15:52 #
Guiddqd
Mini-Member

Nice idea ;) I already subbed! But there's something about the video quality that bothers me, or maybe I'm wrong?

When I watch this run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3Q...nel_video_title

Then this one uploaded on your channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_zF...nel_video_title

It does seem to me that the one uploaded by Ryback is more fluid? I watched them with the 720p and wide-screen settings. Or is it only me?

Old Post 12-28-11 18:10 #
Guiddqd is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

It could be due to different smooth demo playback factor set in prb+.

Old Post 12-28-11 18:26 #
j4rio is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheNebulousThinker
Warming Up

Guiddqd said:
It does seem to me that the one uploaded by Ryback is more fluid? I watched them with the 720p and wide-screen settings. Or is it only me?

Smooth demo playback is turned off. I like to see actual mouse movements for whatever reason.
I may have a poll on my channel and ask if people would rather have smooth demo playback on or off.

Old Post 12-28-11 18:38 #
Guiddqd
Mini-Member

I kind of like to watch demos using the original engine of the game.

So when I watch something that came out of pr or glboom, I prefer it to be as nice as it can get to the eyes, and not actually faithful to the game (like mouse movement etc.)

But that's just me :p

Old Post 12-28-11 22:18 #
Guiddqd is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMer 4ever
Forum Regular

Well, I for one prefer watching demos with smooth demo playback turned off. But then again, I also prefer having texture filtering turned off and I'm not sure if I've seen ANY youtube videos set like that.

Old Post 12-28-11 22:33 #
DooMer 4ever is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

i'm with guiddqd. either stick with naturally looking software renderer for vanilla stuff, or pimp the hell out of pr/gl+. TGH is using vanilla and dosbox viddump for his videos and it looks pretty good, although i'm spoiled and watch demos in full eye candy gl+.

Old Post 12-28-11 23:27 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheNebulousThinker
Warming Up

Guiddqd said:
I kind of like to watch demos using the original engine of the game.

So when I watch something that came out of pr or glboom, I prefer it to be as nice as it can get to the eyes, and not actually faithful to the game (like mouse movement etc.)

But that's just me :p

dew said:
i'm with guiddqd. either stick with naturally looking software renderer for vanilla stuff, or pimp the hell out of pr/gl+. TGH is using vanilla and dosbox viddump for his videos and it looks pretty good, although i'm spoiled and watch demos in full eye candy gl+.

If/When I get more subscribers I'll have a vote about this and have a video that compares the looks of demos, with these option enabled or disabled since I'm using FRAPS to capture footage

Old Post 12-29-11 05:27 #
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

TheNebulousThinker said:
Smooth demo playback is turned off. I like to see actual mouse movements for whatever reason.
I agree very much with this. If the demo was recorded with sharp turns or in a shaky manner, I want to see that. Smoothness is an aspect of a player's style, or a lack of it might be necessary to achieve certain feats or times. I prefer for this not to be masked on playback by the engine.

Old Post 12-29-11 19:32 #