Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Gliding

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:24. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

I want some tips on how to do it. Please anyone who knows good technique and can actually teach this I would love to learn to do these.
Thanks.

Old Post 01-22-12 23:46 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NoobBait

Pretty much everything you need to know is here. Some heavier reading on glides can be found here.

Old Post 01-22-12 23:48 #
NoobBait is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

NoobBait said:
Pretty much everything you need to know is here. Some heavier reading on glides can be found here.

That first link has to do with flat-faced or "guideless" gap glides which are relatively advanced. Learning how to do "guided" glides first would likely be easier.

The second linked thread assumes that you already have a basic working knowledge of how to do guided glides and what they look like but if you're able to make it through the whole thread you'll probably learn something.

I'm not sure that there's a good guide for just plain ol' guided glides aside from word of mouth. Is there a particular glide you're hoping to achieve?

Old Post 01-23-12 00:57 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon

well, I'd like to try the map 02 one, but it seems as though some people find that one easy, others find it hard. Is there a map that you guys "trained" on?

Old Post 01-23-12 03:07 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dew
experts

if you want the best free glide for training, i recommend tvr! map22 or 1024clau map01. both face north, a glide-friendly direction. because you don't know what exact "feeling" you're looking for, you might want to make it as easy as possible. this means:

go to the glide gap and be sure you face the exact direction. turn off horizontal mouse turning completely and put vertical mouse movement to 1 notch over nothing. now find the exact gliding spot with just strafing and start pushing mouse forward very slowly - you want to produce a stream of GF1 tics. you don't have to worry about looking away with horizontal mouse movement, just about pressing too hard and drifting left.

Old Post 01-23-12 10:32 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon

Where are they in those maps, I don't see the one in 1024clau map 01. Is the one for tvr! map 22 between the red posts to the exit?

Old Post 01-23-12 15:11 #
dew
experts

tvr! map22: http://doomedsda.us/lmps/885/2/tv22-007.zip
1024clau map01: http://doomedsda.us/lmps/1115/7/2c01p005.zip

both uv-speed records by skepticist (who beat my times, hehe).

Old Post 01-23-12 15:29 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote