Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 2 [post Compet-N entries here]

Requiem Map 11 UV-Max in 2:23

Cool to see a few records back in the C-N territory (vanilla, no kills huds...)

What do you think about MM MAP29 Tyson? Two chaingunners can only be killed by rocket splash damage, so technically it is impossible, but would a demo with 319/321 kills count in this case? (I personally thought it should not, but maybe I'm just being too strict as usual).

I'm glad I asked the question above as as a result my brain cells started to work and I found a solution.

Spoiler

Two chaingunners are in a pit raised by a gunfire switch accessible from a platform. This is easy in coop, one player raises the platform, the other is standing on it. In single-play you have to raise the platform twice to a 48 unit height, then use a nearby arch-vile to jump onto it, shoot and activate the switch. Now two chaingunners can be killed normally by a pistol or via infighting.

So scratch that "impossible" saying...

Dime said:

Even though cndoom is specifically for a category of competn or differing category, could it be used as an alternative for demo use of wads like concerned or unholy realms.

I know chocolate can't play those due to certain vanilla limits

I could always use prboom+ but the thought had just occurred to me that maybe cndoom would be useful for megawads like that.

Uhm, missed to answer this. Yes you could use it as limits are removed from cndoom by default. I plan to add compat level for true vanilla sometime...

Wow, under 2 minutes! Very nice improvement for this level. I guess the biggest possible improvement in Requiem is on map27...

vdgg said:

What do you think about MM MAP29 Tyson? Two chaingunners can only be killed by rocket splash damage, so technically it is impossible, but would a demo with 319/321 kills count in this case? (I personally thought it should not, but maybe I'm just being too strict as usual).

I see you found a way to kill them after all, but if you wouldn't I'd say that a 319/321 demo wouldn't count. I think if some category requirements can't be met in a map, then you just accept that instead of changing the rules a little bit. You won't start shooting at a monster in pacifist just because there is no other way to get past him, right?

Nice, Tatsurd. I was considering this strategy as well, but now I won't have to swear due to frustration ;) Also, my execution wouldn't be as good.

MM, MAP29, UV Max in 11:31

mm291131.zip

Memfis said:

Hell yeah, beautiful SSG shots everywhere, very pleasing to watch. :)

I don't know, I think this run was somewhat clumsy with the shots but absurd luck with the red key area ensured a good time. I was guessing it to be 1:06 when I got to the exit. Here's two failed runs with betters shots, IMO, but sadly both have one missed monster :-P

failed02.zip

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Memento Mori Map 16 NM100S in 3:57

Your run is generally faster than my 3:32 NM Speed, but I'm surprised you get blue armor at the start, it's not a secret. Is it to get the partial invisibility safer? (It seems more necessary in NM100 thanks to the stupid big room with lifts and chaigunners).

vdgg said:

Your run is generally faster than my 3:32 NM Speed, but I'm surprised you get blue armor at the start, it's not a secret. Is it to get the partial invisibility safer? (It seems more necessary in NM100 thanks to the stupid big room with lifts and chaigunners).

I tried it for filling up a hole, so I used a safer route. Like you said, I wanted to keep enough health with blur artifact for the big room. The result was just fast unexpectedly.

Ultimate Doom E4M6 UV-Speed in 1:14

u4m6-114.zip

Nice one. Have you considered doing e4m6 uv-max as well? I attempted it in 2012, found it pretty fun with a lot of rockets and plasma to use. My best attempt was 5 seconds behind Vile's record but I just couldn't get closer to it.

Memfis said:

Nice one. Have you considered doing e4m6 uv-max as well? I attempted it in 2012, found it pretty fun with a lot of rockets and plasma to use. My best attempt was 5 seconds behind Vile's record but I just couldn't get closer to it.

Thanks! I just groped around a new route of max on E4M6. I wanted to use much cells in the cybie room, then I refered to UV-Speed record but its route was unexpected one. I therefore tried UV-Speed on this map. Your route is so interesting. Use of weapons seems to be effective. Moreover, you did not pick up a soul sphere. It is also nice. I will try it.