Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 2 [post Compet-N entries here]
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:00. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
vdgg
MM2 maniac

pn01 record - that's the spirit! I'd call pn08 a very unfortunate case - as you can see, only one person remembered such a thing existed, it was shown in a rather niche thread. I probably didn't see it before yesterday.

Old Post 04-12-13 08:50 #
vdgg is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
JCD

Ultimate Doom e3m8 COOP 3P Nm Speed in 0:12

Attachment: c3n8-012.zip
This has been downloaded 32 time(s).

Old Post 04-12-13 21:03 #
JCD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

I think it might be invalid because the green player's corpse stopped moving before the intermission screen but I'm not sure if that rule applies to the boss maps.
edit: some info here - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/904407

Old Post 04-12-13 21:15 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Memfis said:
I'm not sure if that rule applies to the boss maps.
AdamH never enforced that rule for single-player demos on Doom2 map30, and this is one area where the compet-n rules seemed open to differing interpretations; although maybe it was clear and consistent to Adam himself. Of course e2m8 and e3m8 are a little different, since there does have to be a player alive at the end, whereas on map30 that isn't the case. I suspect we might all agree that a coop demo where one player dies early on and the other exits a minute later after killing the boss is not particularly satisfactory.

Regarding cack_handed's pn08 and the "how can I know what the record is?" problem, this is a case of "no uploads, no glory!" He didn't submit it as a compet-n "entry" (even with compet-n in limbo, this thread served/serves as a place to submit entries). There are probably a bunch of other demos that would be compet-n records if uploaded, but which are only on people's hard-disks (e.g., ocelot) or other sites or forums. If you want to know the current [provisional] compet-n record, it is pretty easy to find out. If you want to know what the fastest time ever recorded is, it is much harder to say for sure.

Old Post 04-12-13 21:57 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dislogical
Warming Up

Oh =/ So, is this run invalid?

Old Post 04-12-13 22:10 #
Dislogical is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Personally, I consider it valid, but it's not like I have sole power (or any power in the case of compet-n) to make such rulings.

But may I suggest a clarification of the rule for this? That is, that a demo is valid if all players are alive up to the point where the mechanism for ending the map is triggered, or events set in motion to trigger it that require no further intervention from any of the players; this applies for coop and SP. By that measure, this demo is valid, and so (AFAIK) are all the compet-n records where this is an issue. So this avoids any serious backwards incompatibility, but leaves things less uncertain going forward.

"Disclosure" (heh): I have an interest in the form of my NM Pacifist on Build.wad (non-Compet-n).

Notes:
1) The map must still exit, naturally. So if all three players had died on E3M8 after killing the spider, the map would not exit, and the demo would not be valid.
2) The "valid as long as no player corpses have stopped moving" rule is unaffected (I chose the wording so as not to clobber this long-standing rule).
3) There will always be vexing cases in even the most apparently well-defined demo categories.

Old Post 04-12-13 22:20 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Grazza said:
or events set in motion to trigger it that require no further intervention from any of the players

But what exactly is intervention? Ridiculously hypothetical situation: e3m8 coop pacifist, an infighting is instigated between the spiderdemon and other monsters, then one of the players dies. Even if the other player doesn't participate in the fight directly, he still can affect RNG by e.g. picking up health potions. Would that be an intervention? Maybe it is necessary to pick up a health potion to affect the RNG in such way so that the spiderdemon dies.

Old Post 04-12-13 22:40 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dislogical
Warming Up

Ok, nailed it again, even better time. 12.77 this time, without anyone dying at the end, heh.
JCD's going to post it in few minutes.

Old Post 04-12-13 22:49 #
Dislogical is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
JCD

here it is

Attachment: c3n8-012.zip
This has been downloaded 30 time(s).

Old Post 04-12-13 22:50 #
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Memfis said:
But what exactly is intervention? Ridiculously hypothetical situation: e3m8 coop pacifist, an infighting is instigated between the spiderdemon and other monsters, then one of the players dies. Even if the other player doesn't participate in the fight directly, he still can affect RNG by e.g. picking up health potions. Would that be an intervention? Maybe it is necessary to pick up a health potion to affect the RNG in such way so that the spiderdemon dies.
This would be a strict interpretation, and yes, that would be "intervention". You could prove such a demo invalid by showing that exists a course of action that leads to the mechanism not being triggered. So in in the case of E3M8 if one of the players dies long before the spider is dead, then the other players are indeed almost certainly "intervening" to bring about this conclusion and the demo would not be valid. I doubt that in practice there are many marginal cases.

Edit: ^ yeah, that's a neater solution!

Old Post 04-12-13 22:57 #
Archy
Forum Regular

VinceDSS said:
I remember discussing deaths in coop demos with AdamH.
You are allowed to die in a very limited way.

The demo is valid if the map exits while either :
- the death animation is not completed
- the corpse is still sliding or falling

If the corpse comes to a standstill the demo is invalid.

We discussed that because of demos like pl01 with players dying in order to exit faster.
It was also accepted for some demos where one player dies just while the other exits.

Old Post 04-13-13 00:16 #
Archy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
JCD

Ultimate Doom e4m3 COOP 3P Nm Speed in 0:08

Attachment: c4n3-008.zip
This has been downloaded 36 time(s).

Old Post 04-13-13 00:27 #
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

Are you guys all in the same room or can you actually do co-op speedruns over the 'net without lag issues?

Old Post 04-13-13 03:04 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dislogical
Warming Up

Nope, we're not recording in LAN. We all live in France though, so we can play without experiencing much lag... kinda.

Old Post 04-13-13 04:46 #
Looper

Creaphis said:
Are you guys all in the same room or can you actually do co-op speedruns over the 'net without lag issues?

It works fine, played with fx02 few days ago :-) You can feel it's not single-player but it's definitely playable. fx02 is from Croatia and I'm from Finland in case someone wonders the distance.
When me and xepop played together, we noticed that alt-tabbing from dosbox made it laggy.

Old Post 04-13-13 08:17 #
Looper is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

MM2, MAP17 (No One by Michael Rapp), -respawn in 5:59
Requiem, MAP23 (Hatred by Dario Casali), -respawn in 6:05

Attachment: mm2_req3.zip
This has been downloaded 27 time(s).

Old Post 04-13-13 22:12 #
vdgg is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Plutonia, MAP26 (Bunker by Dario Casali), -respawn in 5:06

Attachment: pr26-506.zip
This has been downloaded 24 time(s).

Old Post 04-14-13 11:05 #
JCD

Ultimate Doom e2m6 COOP 2P Uv Speed in 0:24

Attachment: c2s6-024.zip
This has been downloaded 30 time(s).

Old Post 04-15-13 03:22 #
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Plutonia, MAP23 (Tombstone by Milo Casali), -respawn in 4:44

Attachment: pr23-444.zip
This has been downloaded 28 time(s).

Old Post 04-15-13 10:35 #
JCD

Ultimate Doom e3m6 COOP 2P Uv Max in 2:00

Attachment: c3m6-200.zip
This has been downloaded 36 time(s).

Old Post 04-15-13 18:26 #
vdgg
MM2 maniac

JCD said:
Ultimate Doom e3m6 COOP 2P Uv Max in 2:00
What a chaos :)

Old Post 04-15-13 18:33 #
kunkun
Mini-Member

I uploaded cack's pn08-019 since it had the compet-n text files and everything. "This is a DooM .LMP "Competition" Entry - Please forward it..." Sure, just a few years late. Altima also uploaded some viles old demo that was lost in the cracks of internet so I guess it's ok.

Here's another ugly run with a route that wasn't done before for whatever reason.

Attachment: pl09-057.zip
This has been downloaded 32 time(s).

Old Post 04-18-13 23:22 #
kunkun is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Filling up the plutonia -respawn demo list. In chronological order, pr25 in 4:33, pr22 in 5:28 and pr12 in 4:25. I dare say that the last one is worth watching.

Attachment: plresp.zip
This has been downloaded 29 time(s).

Old Post 04-19-13 21:05 #
kunkun
Mini-Member

Getting this didn't take as long as I thought it would but at least for me it was not exactly trivial (ie over a couple of days I spent close to 20 hours to get one exit). For some reason I was really dedicated to get this after I saw xits old records and thought "hey, glide wankery can save time here too" and the old record was a pn+ps double whammy to boot. I skip the secret to not take all xits records since he only has like fifteen billion of them.

Attachment: pn09-104.zip
This has been downloaded 41 time(s).

Old Post 04-20-13 23:32 #
kunkun is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
JCD

Ultimate Doom e3m8 COOP 3P Uv Max in 0:19

Attachment: c3m8-019.zip
This has been downloaded 34 time(s).

Old Post 04-23-13 15:31 #
kunkun
Mini-Member

Plutonia map02 in 1:03.
More plutonia nm stuff. At first I thought the old record was a table filler but I just checked the old records and there was a couple of them, by much better players with much slower times. Oh wow. I guess being able to try stupid strats until they work is my super power.

Attachment: pn02-103.zip
This has been downloaded 41 time(s).

Old Post 05-09-13 11:43 #
fx02
Mini-Member

Just a notice to those who regularly just check for new demos in incoming that I've added option to notify (email) if someone upload demo. You can turn it on here: http://goo.gl/cpd8g
Also, most of two player cooperative demos are in database.

Old Post 05-16-13 19:03 #
fx02 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rrwoods
Mini-Member

I can beat ev17-308... I know I can... I've got a couple minor route adjustments (nothing drastic really) and I'm not really satisfied with mistakes. As long as those two revs before the blue key room go down and the stupid AV in the blue key room freaking stands still...

But there's so much that can go wrong here :-(. The monsters keep finding new ways to frustrate me! Random wandering chaingunners can really put a damper on your day here.

Old Post 05-27-13 00:57 #
rrwoods is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
4shockblast
Turbo Speed

TNT Map 17 UV-Speed in 0:25. First C-N demo, hope I didn't screw anything up.

Attachment: ev17-025.zip
This has been downloaded 39 time(s).

Old Post 06-07-13 00:07 #
4shockblast is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

fx02 said:
Just a notice to those who regularly just check for new demos in incoming that I've added option to notify (email) if someone upload demo.
Does this work for anyone? I had signed up but didn't get an email for the demo above (which also went to incoming).

Old Post 06-11-13 11:42 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote