Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Notable 2012 Demos

I'm sure everyone is fed up with the favorite/best/whatever demos threads - not that we had one in quite a while - so I figured why not limiting it to year?

Idea is simple - dig through DSDA and pick whatever demo(s) from last year you consider notable and I'll list them later in OP. It's not supposed to have any undertone of competitiveness (like cyber awards), just a simple listing to pinpoint recommendations and for easy navigation. If you have high self-esteem, feel free to pick your own as well. :)

Picks in no particular order:

TNT map 5 Nomonsters in 0:37 by Looper - download
Requiem map 15 UV-Max in 7:55 by SAV88 - download
Holy Hell map 5 UV-Max in 178:33 by Okuplok - download
Deus Vult map 5 UV-Max in 60:54 by Ancalagon - download
Combat Shock 2 map 5 UV-Max in 33:07 by Ancalagon - download
No Chance UV-Max in 39:59 by Ancalagon - download
Skepland map 3 UV-Max in 46:06 by skepticist - download
Sunder map 7 UV-Max in 17:00 by Ribbiks - download
Holy Hell UV-Max in 37:17 by j4rio - download
Doom 2 UV-Max Movie in 106:41 by Rizera - download
Doom 2 4-player Coop Nomonsters in 9:41 by Looper (!TAS!) - download
Plutonia Revisited UV-Speed movie in 14:47 by Light_Speed (!TAS!) - download

This TNT05 nomo demo by Looper definitely deserves a mention. Amazing and absolutely unexpected trick, it really impressed me.

in no particular order here's some of my favorite '12 demos:

oku's hh05 in 178:33
anc's dv05 in 60:54, also cs05 in 33:07, and nc01 in 39:59
skep's sk03 in 46:06
j4's sf30 in 46:56
qaatar's sod04 in 4:04
TODs degrassi and sf11 demos are also pretty ridiculous

I like watching demos on long grueling maps :)

I'm too lazy to look for particular demos at the moment, but I'd like to instead name most notable speedrunners in the demo scene in my opinion, last year:

1. j4rio: It feels like half of the (great) demos last year were made by the same guy, so it's quite obvious that I'll have to name him as the main guy to keep the demorecording alive. I'm not too much of a fan of watching the extremely high mouse sensitivity, but that's of course just a small thing and not something that everyone would even agree with. Other than that, the demos are great, and I especially love j4rio's skillful use of berserk fist to beat enemies faster than one would with SSG. I also loved following the many competiotions against other speedrunners, most notably Ancalagon.

2. Ancalagon: And this leads to the second best speedrunner of last year in my books. Actually, he has most of the the favorite demos of last year, and only reason I'm placing j4rio ahead is the quantity of lmps. It's just ridiculous how easy Ancalagon makes especially some slaughtermaps look.

Best newcomer:

Nevan: I love his style! The incredibly smooth mousework is just beautiful to look at.

And of course there were great demos from pretty much every speedrunner that actively post here, so thanks for all the hours of entertainment to every single one :)

I'm not gonna lie, it's flattering to see my name mentioned here. Many thanks!

Ribbiks' Sunder Map07 max run was really fun to watch and brought me to the end of my seat. Rizera's Speed of Doom Map32 max run was another excellent run of breaking down the time under 10 minutes - so impressive! Cannonball is also another entertaining watch for me, one of my favourites from him is Twilight Zone II Map05 max run was very nice. J4iro's another one I frequently watch, another one of my favourites from him being Holy Hell Map03 max run. I'm sure he was pulling out his hairs trying to do that map!

So many runs I enjoy, but picking out ones I remember from the last year which remain in my heart.

Rizera's 30uv10641 off the top of my head.

Some TAS demos I can think of are the Plutonia Revisited Community TAS (pvdq-1447) and Looper's 30bt0941.

Cool, thanks all for taking time to reply. I'll edit OP tomorrow with all picks and add some personal ones.

@Ribbiks I did the sf11 thingie in 2011 Christmas. :p Also Sod map 4 is early 2011 one.
I'd like to keep it exclusive to 2012, so there can be a similar summary of 2013 in a year, and so on.

Also, no need to restrict to just one or two of ones you consider the best, it'd actually be more ideal if you could name as much noteworthy stuff as possible.

BTW, a thingie from 2012 I'm genuinely proud which probably won't even receive a mention is cchest2 map 24 max. That one took me longest to manufacture compared to just about everything I recall.

j4rio said:

@Ribbiks I did the sf11 thingie in 2011 Christmas. :p Also Sod map 4 is early 2011 one.
I'd like to keep it exclusive to 2012, so there can be a similar summary of 2013 in a year, and so on.

Oh, sorry. I was going based on the dates they were uploaded to dsda. for example sod04 was on the page for jan 22, 2012

4shockblast said:
Looper's 30bt0941.

I'm not much into TAS generally but I think this was the demo of the year.