Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Yeah, me again. [new demo project?]

Edit 19.1: We settled on doing a demopack for either of these two possible candidates (this or this) and you can pick one of them until February in case you are interested in contributing a demo. Post your preference here, in this thread. A valid vote for a preferred wad is considered every post with single clear response after my third post in this thread, also only one vote possible per poster.

What about New Doom Community Project 2? That badly needs demos like Susan Boyle needs plastic surgery, yes, that badly.

This wad should be good for maxes I think. Mostly action packed, at times semi-hardcore levels. I pity the person that will have to do map24 though, it must be absolutely dreadful when you're going for 100% kills.

I wouldn't recommend NDCP2. It is one big ZDoomism basically, probably more than 20 maps need some fixing for everything to work correctly in PrBoom+. And it's full of artsy, experimental, etc maps that probably aren't fun to record on at all.

In any case, I'm just speculating here and I don't know if I'll participate even. I kinda want to be more active since I haven't been recording much lately, but... Maybe I don't want to after all.

Oh, I assumed it would be boom friendly like the first (only played the first three maps) sorry for the suggestion.

Yeah, there is a reason why NDCP2 didn't receive much demo activity. It was mostly playtested in ZDoom and is full of maps with non-traditional gameplay. Zahid seems to love it though. :) We even wanted to make some sort of a bugfix (he told me about many bugs) but I just didn't have the will to work on it. (sorry Zahid)

Hellcore is another megawad with a similar fate. Barely tested and generally weird. I made one demo for it and I had to edit the map to make it playable.

I was attempting a max of that city map (02 or 03, one with the arch vile in the lift) but lost interest when trying to do so last year I might get back to it. Oh, what about Heroes? Only -fasts for that so far.

w/e demopack would be chosen, i'll spend some time to help with fillers. A break from -fast cant be bad.

Well, out of newest ones I played only 3/4 of unholy realms and liked it enough to choose it. The rest of wads would have to be based on thoughts of others. Out of old wads, there's still squadron, which is imo a great unusual uv-max experience.

Willing to contribute to just about anything. Doom 2 the Way id Did might be a good idea, seeing as how there was a demo pack for Doom the Way id Did.

Suitcase of Gor would be max only, other cats not worth it except for a miscellaneous rarity maybe. Both UR and d2twid should be accessible (and fun, I hope) for a multitude of categories. I think I would commit to any of those picks, but I'd probably only do non-trick speeds for obvious reasons. (edit: I mean, I wouldn't do trick speeds, but anything else is fine.)

4shockblast said:

D2TWID is less demoed than UR at this point, so I think it might be a better choice, though I'd contribute to either.

I agree on this one. Also, it gives me an opportunity to work on that awful -fast demo for 07.

Don't mind me, just passing through with my alt.wad/Interception/Concerned/Herian/Beyond The Hell request

Revved said:

Don't mind me, just passing through with my alt.wad/Interception/Concerned/Herian/Beyond The Hell request

Only played some of concerned out of these wads, though I don't play too many wads. I wouldn't mind Concerned, though it's not my first choice.

Allright, so from most posts it seems like d2twid or ur are main candidates. So, please, if you are thinking of contributing something sometime in time span of roughly a year (let's be reallistic), post here a post containing just one of those two wads whichever you prefer more.

I'll say d2twid cause UR has more demos done already and its arena maps are easier to pick up even by random recording activity, so the tables will fill up eventually anyways.

I really don't care for d2twid so I'd prefer UR. But of course Marswar would be even better. :)

I'll probably attempt doing UR UV-Maxes in the near future, demopack or no demopack. The little I casually played D2TWID did absolutely nothing for me, so not sure about contributing for that. So I guess that's a +1 for UR.

d2twid for the reasons already stated (and to keep the voting even, naturally)

I never heard of those wads, but maybe pick up the one with the least amount of ultrahyperhuge levels, or the one with less demos recorded.

blob1024 said:

I never heard of those wads, but maybe pick up the one with the least amount of ultrahyperhuge levels, or the one with less demos recorded.

That would probably be D2TWID. Both don't have really gigantic levels, though (I suppose UR's later levels are certainly larger).

Go check them then, I think I'll give it time until February so infrequent demoing visitors may pop up.

Hi ho ;O

I was considering filling the remainder of Baker's Dozen table as that mapset holds alot of nostalgia for me, with regards to implementing Eternal Doom's haunting medieval world while removing the mind numbing puzzles and revamping the difficulty scale. Well ok it was only beyond MAP20 that I had to resort to watching 'No Monster' demos in some cases, Bob Evans you rubix cube bastard!

I noticed Fragport is completely absent of UV-Speed runs, it may just gander my interest as that was another anomalous megawad I stumbled across and it turned out the consistency in gameplay flow and the implementation of real world environments completely gripped me.

I can't say a word on NDCP2, I always wanted to get around to it as I loved the original with it's completely distinct level design and feel unlike any other multitudinal effort, however it's a shame to hear it's plagued with ZDoomisms.

I've had 'Beyond the Hell' sitting in my backlog for quite some time, from what I've read apparently the gameplay is on par with HR but it isn't clear whether that's the consistent style or only appears in certain parts, same with A.L.T but considering their by Czech authors my hopes are high ;)

j4rio said:

Go check them then, I think I'll give it time until February so infrequent demoing visitors may pop up.

ill check last 10 levels of both megawads, since I usually tend to play those last levels (oh well map 29 is usually rizera's territory ahaah)

Bloodite Krypto said:

Hi ho ;O

Hiya. We settled on choosing from two possible megawads (this or this) and you can pick one of them.

Oh was the intention for this to be a collaboration on one chosen piece? I tore through Unholy Realms in one blind coop session months ago, it wasn't to my taste at all, and I doubt the former could persuade me either sorry ;)

Beyond the Hell.. it sums up what happened to the texturing, my god even if it apparently has innovative gameplay it's not tolerable with the horrendous eyesore. A.L.T looks revolutionary by comparison.