Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Rocket jumps

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:31. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
game_genesis

Hey guys, I recently decided to record some Doom rocket jumps on original WADs, so here they are, I hope any of these might help some of you guys in your speedruns! I was unaware and a total amateur about rocketjumps and similar shortcuts, so even though most of you are pros at them, hope these following help :

Doom 1 E2 Map 7 : Spawning Vats rocket jump : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0_...kwrKY4-ZmkHpLsA

How to get there and complete the level : [/b]
On the spawn point go to the right hallway (you will get to the room with blue door on your left, ignore the door and proceed forward), since there is only one way to follow it is not really hard, you will see a room with an invincibility orb at the end of it, go pick up the orb, after you picked it up go to the corridor on your right - at its end there will be a room with 2 rooms you can go in - don't go to the first room on your right (only go there if you do not have a rocket launcher with you already -> there is a rocket launcher in that room. The second room on your right is the room where you can see the exit at the other side of the acid pool. That is our location - watch how to do it in the video, it is very simple :)

Doom 2 Map 14 : The Inmost Dens rocket jump : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcM...kwrKY4-ZmkHpLsA

How to get there and complete the level :
When spawned, go right, then left all the way, jumping off the "window" of this structure. You will see a big gate in front of you - go through the gate to the other side, and once you get there, turn right, left, and left again, where you will see a door to the location from where you perform the rocket jump. See the video for correct positioning. After you correctly do the jump just run towards the exit door. Make sure you run.

Doom 2 Map 23 : Barrels o' Fun rocket jump : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coK...kwrKY4-ZmkHpLsA

How to get there and complete the level :
When you spawn, quickly squeeze your way through the barrels to the end of the room, open the gate and enter the teleporter. Once teleported, quickly go to the other side of the room, try to run to evade the machinegunners and barrel explosions. Enter the teleporter, and once you get teleported, look to your right, you will see a long brown wall - shoot it and it will raise itself. The positioning and rest can be found in the video.

Since this is my first contribution to the forum newbies, I hope someone will actually find it helpful! Thank you guys and enjoy yourselves! :D

Old Post 05-22-14 20:49 #
game_genesis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
4shockblast
Turbo Speed

The first two are very well known; I'm not aware of any uses for the last one. The IWADs have been pretty thoroughly examined for tricks by numerous speedrunners, so it's very difficult to come up with new tricks. :p

Old Post 05-22-14 21:22 #
4shockblast is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
game_genesis

4shockblast said:
The first two are very well known; I'm not aware of any uses for the last one. The IWADs have been pretty thoroughly examined for tricks by numerous speedrunners, so it's very difficult to come up with new tricks. :p

As I said, a noob-friendly guide to some of those, because I had to discover these by myself, guess it is easier this way :)

Old Post 05-22-14 21:52 #
game_genesis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

There's an old list of iwad tricks here. There have been plenty discovered since then, of course. For instance, the e2m7 rocket jump has been obsoleted for single-map demos (except nomo) by the thing-glide method that Vile used in 2005.

Old Post 05-22-14 21:59 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dew
experts

I'll hijack this thread a little... How hard do you guys find the Scythe 2 map07 rj?

I've done quite a few impossible-level rjs throughout my career of a false corrupt rj prophet, but I simply can't do that one. Not to save my life, not after watching Vile's proof of concept a hundred times. He takes it casual and I've always wanted to improve the time, but no can do. Anyone up for plugging that "hole" in the tables?

Old Post 05-22-14 22:51 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

I remember I tried it out of curiosity after reading one of your rants and I couldn't do it either. Btw PrBoom+ plays DomRem's demo "with PrBoom v2.1.2-v2.2.6 compatibility", I wonder if that's actually what makes it possible (maybe rocket blast works differently somehow o,o). How do you guys like my excuse for not being able to do it?

Old Post 05-22-14 23:18 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
4shockblast
Turbo Speed

Memfis said:
I remember I tried it out of curiosity after reading one of your rants and I couldn't do it either. Btw PrBoom+ plays DomRem's demo "with PrBoom v2.1.2-v2.2.6 compatibility", I wonder if that's actually what makes it possible (maybe rocket blast works differently somehow o,o). How do you guys like my excuse for not being able to do it?

Damn, you may be right. I just tried it cl9 first, couldn't do it after 20 attempts or more. First try with cl12 and third with cl14.

Old Post 05-22-14 23:31 #
4shockblast is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dew
experts

Wow, that would be anticlimatic and I want my free time back, haha.

Old Post 05-22-14 23:35 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Looper

It requires 32 average speed on minimum... 30 is the cap D: Though it might be possible with one(0.5) wallrun tic south even with cl2, not sure if the player is midair in that case tho, never tried. That would make jumps exactly 256 units long possible south/west (7*30+15+32-1 = 256). (North/east it is 60*7+32-1 = 451 unit gap)

Btw, that map23 rocket jump is almost useless :P Risk-reward isn't really worth it. (This is how I did it on legacy nomo back in 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdLwXPZxQY )

Old Post 05-22-14 23:50 #
Looper is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

You'll always be an rj prophet in my eyes, dew!

Old Post 05-23-14 00:02 #
TimeOfDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
4shockblast
Turbo Speed

Here's proof of possibility in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 cl-1. Very easy to do.

Attachment: s207o010.zip
This has been downloaded 39 time(s).

Old Post 05-23-14 00:10 #
Cacatou

Oddly enough, I've had an even more frustrating experience with that particular jump. In my over 1000 attempts at the no-monster run, I have successfully executed the jump twice. Both times I died and crossed the exit. However, I crossed the exit linedef so fast it didn't register and the run failed. If someone finds an easy way without complevels it would be so relieving.

Old Post 05-24-14 14:53 #
Cacatou is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

Why is it called a 'rocket jump'? You don't jump, you get pushed.
Why not call it a 'rocket push' then?

Old Post 05-24-14 15:57 #
joe-ilya is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cacatou

It is sometimes called a rocket boost not a rocket jump but I believe the name's just carried over from Quake. Also it does help you jump over gaps etc. hence rocket jump still works.

Old Post 05-24-14 16:10 #
Cacatou is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kpa6
Warming Up

I'm curious:

Ultimate Doom, E3M7, assuming we have a rl and enough health.
After getting the yellow key, instead of taking the normal route (rising the floor, returning back and jumping onto it), is it possible to go directly to the yellow key door (not the one with the switch, but the one in front of the exit) and rocketjump to the exit door? With some luck, lost souls can possibly be helpful. It's only worth trying in TAS, but still, is there a chance that the rj is possible? Had someone attempted it, or is it not even worth considering?

Old Post 11-16-14 07:17 #
Kpa6 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
4shockblast
Turbo Speed

Kpa6 said:
I'm curious:

Ultimate Doom, E3M7, assuming we have a rl and enough health.
After getting the yellow key, instead of taking the normal route (rising the floor, returning back and jumping onto it), is it possible to go directly to the yellow key door (not the one with the switch, but the one in front of the exit) and rocketjump to the exit door? With some luck, lost souls can possibly be helpful. It's only worth trying in TAS, but still, is there a chance that the rj is possible? Had someone attempted it, or is it not even worth considering?

I'm not certain, trying it a bit non-TAS made it seem like a bit of a stretch, but not necessarily impossible. I did that jump in Doom Done Turbo, and that demo was recorded with buggy -turbo 255 (turbo wasn't applied to strafing). The wall is a bit far for the RJ, though, so it'd be difficult to retain the speed from the rocket all the way to the edge of the platform.

Old Post 11-16-14 07:24 #
Kpa6
Warming Up

Thanks 4shockblast, but I think I mean a place different from where you did your jump from. I was thinking of rj from one of the walls in the sector 158, it seems to be more likely.

P.S. How do I add an image to the post? It would make it much easier.

Old Post 11-16-14 08:32 #
Kpa6 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
4shockblast
Turbo Speed

Kpa6 said:
Thanks 4shockblast, but I think I mean a place different from where you did your jump from. I was thinking of rj from one of the walls in the sector 158, it seems to be more likely.

P.S. How do I add an image to the post? It would make it much easier.

Images are added using [img] tags, I believe.

Regarding sector 158, I'm still uncertain if it's possible. For one, getting to that sector requires the yellow key unless you RJ to it. I was able to get an RJ to the sector from the yellow key platform after raising the sector between the yellow key platform and the teleporter from which you'd normally do the exit jump, though raising the platform may be unnecessary with TAS. However, even with slowmotion and permanent strafe50, I couldn't get the jump to work, and I didn't seem to be getting too close. Maybe with the precision of building and possibly some tricky wallrun/boost help it could be done, but I'm not sure.

Old Post 11-16-14 08:49 #
Kpa6
Warming Up

Got it, thanks:) I was thinking of using a lost soul as help for better jump or wallrun. After seeing the stx-Vile's e2m7 trick I believe that nearly anything is possible:)

Edit: another thought. If a lost soul somehow gets close enough to the sector 124, it may be possible to rj from it.

Last edited by Kpa6 on 11-16-14 at 11:22

Old Post 11-16-14 09:21 #