Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > The /newstuff Chronicles #105
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nanami
not a woman

If I use nothing but Lost Souls, maybe I could fit several thousand enemies in the level!! ^_^

Old Post 12-02-02 17:35 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Nanami said:
If I use nothing but Lost Souls, maybe I could fit several thousand enemies in the level!! ^_^
Except they don't figure in the monster count.

Old Post 12-02-02 17:41 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

That doesn't matter, so long as I can fit an amazing number of enemies in the level.

Maybe I can use DeHacked to make Cyberdemons 1 unit wide.

Old Post 12-02-02 17:45 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
magikal
May he rest in peace

Just be very sensible and put enough tough monsters in the right places (of which there are many).

Old Post 12-02-02 17:48 #
magikal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Nanami said:
Maybe I'll make a Grind2 revisited, with more monsters to destroy. I wonder how many monsters I could pack into this thing? =) Let's see if I can break the monsters per square foot record!

Hmm...you'll have a tough job beating Io Anomaly and the Blind Alley maps....

Old Post 12-02-02 18:46 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
magikal
May he rest in peace

Nanami said:

Sounds a bit Nuts to me.;)

Old Post 12-02-02 19:20 #
magikal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Searcher

Ultimate DooMer said:

Hmm...you'll have a tough job beating Io Anomaly and the Blind Alley maps....

UD there are a lot of monsters in the Blind Alley maps but they are not hard on UV for an experienced player, and that is who they were made for. I'm glad you remember them. There are skill levels for that reason.

There is some nice real estate in the current map.

I know a couple of grand dads who can easily do the maps. The LMPs that are enclosed with the maps show how easy they really are. Many of the monsters are lesser types not the big boys.

In fact, the Blind Alley maps can be played conservatively and beaten by the average player too, even on UV. There are a lot of places to hide and snipe the monsters.

Rich Sham just posted an incredible legacy lmp of the current map, and all the others, at the speed demo archives. Very worth while!!

BTW the next installment of the series is almost ready. ;)

Last edited by Searcher on 12-02-02 at 20:11

Old Post 12-02-02 19:42 #
Searcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Searcher

magikal said:

Sounds a bit Nuts to me.;)

I agree:
Since lost souls don't add to the body count all you would have to do is make it to the exit.

Magikal, perhaps you should see if Nanami wants to try the 600+ monsters in Cata.wad, or industrial.wad before building one with thousands of monsters.

Old Post 12-02-02 20:13 #
Searcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mustafa saed
I seriously stink

Nope...I won't be forgeting Gothic dreams anytime soon.

Old Post 12-02-02 20:26 #
mustafa saed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Epyo
Dude

As usual, Gothic Dreams was actually relesed months ago.(I LOVE GRAMMAR!)

Old Post 12-02-02 20:29 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mustafa saed
I seriously stink

Epyo said:
As usual, Gothic Dreams was actually relesed months ago.(I LOVE GRAMMAR!)

Yeah...But looks damn good just as it was months ago

Old Post 12-02-02 20:49 #
mustafa saed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

WTF?! I thought I did a good job on my map07, and it gets a completely shit review?! WTF?

Old Post 12-02-02 21:04 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

DooMBoy said:
WTF?! I thought I did a good job on my map07, and it gets a completely shit review?! WTF?
You made the mistake of releasing it in a week when Hyena reviewed it. A true n00b error. Better luck next time. ;)

Of course, if he had wanted to give more reasoned criticism, he could have mentioned the fact that it is possible to exit the map without killing anything (I've just done it in 6 seconds).

Last edited by Grazza on 12-02-02 at 21:32

Old Post 12-02-02 21:20 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Black Void

Bah, I'm not a big fan of this reviewer at all... I'll remember to send my levels to the Ultimate Doomer.

Old Post 12-02-02 21:45 #
Black Void is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Bloodshedder
Spellchecker

Archvile46 said:
Ralphis did the chiptunes a while ago for use in an ultra top secret UD project. Not to say Bloodshedder's a ripoff or anything, since he probably didn't know anything about it, but it's weird.
I was aware of this project (things get around IRC pretty quickly, but I heard Ralphis himself speak of it) and I didn't know if it would have new music or not. Wasn't trying to steal anybody's idea, and I wouldn't really mind if he released it with redone music in the same style as mine.

Old Post 12-02-02 21:45 #
Bloodshedder is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

Grazza said:
You made the mistake of releasing it in a week when Hyena reviewed it. A true n00b error. Better luck next time. ;)

Hmm, maybe I should have delayed the update of my megawad by a week so he wouldn't have got the chance to rip it apart. (but then again I wasn't expecting a review of it 'cos it was an update)

Oh well, I won't make that mistake with my current wad....

Old Post 12-02-02 21:54 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

UAC3.wad had exactly 875 monsters for multiplayer UV mode. =P 500 for non-multiplayer.

I'm not going to really go for any records with the new Grind2 with more monsters. I'm going to add a couple little things to it, but mostly I'll just add a whole bunch of badguys. Won't be a hundred Cyberdemons or anything, it'll just be a whole bunch of baddies...

I probably won't upload it to /newstuff, I'll just post a thread in the Mods and Wads section or somethin'. =)

Old Post 12-02-02 22:56 #
UAC PR Dept
Loser

I strongly suggest everyone play Underworld, it's loads of fun.

Old Post 12-03-02 05:57 #
UAC PR Dept is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Okay, I added a bunch of monsters to Grind2 (Wads and Mods section).

I'm getting close to being done with Dream.wad so if anyone out there wants to test it for me, feel free to e-mail me. =)

Old Post 12-03-02 06:07 #
deathz0r
Bitch fuckin' stole me chaingun!

Grazza said:
You made the mistake of releasing it in a week when Hyena reviewed it.
he was lucky i didn't get to review it. he wanted me to check out his E1M7 and E1M8 levels, so i downloaded them, and 15 minutes later, he was complaining about how i said that e1m7 was too claustrophobic.

Old Post 12-03-02 11:55 #
deathz0r is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Nanami said:
I probably won't upload it to /newstuff, I'll just post a thread in the Mods and Wads section or somethin'. =)

Why not? The point is that it goes to the idgames Archive and stays there for anyone to play it anytime.

Old Post 12-03-02 13:59 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Well, for now it's in test mode, so I certainly can't upload it yet.

I may upload it later when it's done...

/me works on spreading out the health.

Old Post 12-03-02 14:04 #
Virgil

fragport: a VERY old wad, I remember I've played some of it before... I think grind2's health balance is ok. There weren't any situations where I'd have a high chance of taking any damage so those 2 stimpacks were just enough to get by. I'd have to say I don't see grind2 having any major problems. Maybe some misplaced etxtures/lighting, but I like the gameplay just because it's unique and still very playable. Wads shying away from lots of monsters and items are rare nowadays.. I remember Malcolm Sailor's wads...

Old Post 12-03-02 18:24 #
Virgil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Ultimate DooMer said:
(but then again I wasn't expecting a review of it 'cos it was an update)
BTW, what has changed in this update of Fragport? Your text file says "I've fixed a couple of bugs in response to feedback, tweaked one or two other things, and updated the game text setup". It sounds like it's all fairly minor, and not a reason in itself to replay the wad. Does it include things like removing the possible need for an AV-jump in map07?

Old Post 12-03-02 18:49 #
Nanami
not a woman

Virgil said:
I think grind2's health balance is ok. There weren't any situations where I'd have a high chance of taking any damage so those 2 stimpacks were just enough to get by. I'd have to say I don't see grind2 having any major problems. Maybe some misplaced etxtures/lighting, but I like the gameplay just because it's unique and still very playable. Wads shying away from lots of monsters and items are rare nowadays.. I remember Malcolm Sailor's wads...

I liked the idea of having few monsters, but several people that played it seemed to think it needed more baddies (Hence the Grind2X). The next level, Dream.wad, will have more badguys. Not hundreds or anything, but a good number more. I'm going to test it when I get home and then start a thread to find beta testers like I did for Grind2.wad earlier. Right now I think the item/monster placement is good, especially for a follow-up to Grind2. There's a little extra ammo, but I think for anyone playing it the first time, it'll be nice to have some extra ammo...

Old Post 12-03-02 19:38 #
The Ultimate DooMer

Grazza said:
BTW, what has changed in this update of Fragport? Your text file says "I've fixed a couple of bugs in response to feedback, tweaked one or two other things, and updated the game text setup". It sounds like it's all fairly minor, and not a reason in itself to replay the wad. Does it include things like removing the possible need for an AV-jump in map07?

Yes, I did fix that. (and the map 17 bug as well)

I didn't really ask for a review, but Hyena believes that all updates should be reviewed as well as the other wads that pass through newstuff.

Cool avatar, btw.

Virgil: It's not that old (compared to megawads like MM, HR, AV etc.), as it's a couple of weeks short of being a year old.

Last edited by The Ultimate DooMer on 12-03-02 at 23:25

Old Post 12-03-02 19:54 #
kristus
Megablast!

Aaah, the classic. A reviewer don't like your wads and he is "the bad man" for it. Ohwell.

Old Post 12-03-02 20:57 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Ultimate DooMer said:
Virgil: It's not that old (compared to megawads like MM, HR, AV etc.), as it's a couple of weeks short of being a year old.

Heh...? AV is a year old too.

Old Post 12-03-02 21:06 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
magikal
May he rest in peace

The link for Blind Alley Q is incorrect...it's linked to Blind Alley P.

Old Post 12-04-02 04:29 #
Searcher

P, Q, What's the difference?
One hell of a lot in my mind. Blind Alley Q is a fair bit nicer map than BAP. And BAQ is more fun. I sure hope someone fixes that link.

Old Post 12-04-02 16:05 #