Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > The /newstuff Chronicles #105
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:12. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hyena
Unfortunately it is lethal

I don't see why I'm making so many enemies over this.

Tell me, what part of my review of DooMBoy's map isn't true (besides the first few sentences which are sort of a joke)

To me it just looks like he took map07, added a little bit of detail and then threw in a bunch of pointless zdoom features and called it his own.

Old Post 12-04-02 17:09 #
Hyena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Heh, Hyena is my favorite /newstuff reviewer. He gets a little critical at times but he usually gives good reasons for being critical.

Old Post 12-04-02 20:02 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Hyena said:

Tell me, what part of my review of DooMBoy's map isn't true (besides the first few sentences which are sort of a joke)

To me it just looks like he took map07, added a little bit of detail and then threw in a bunch of pointless zdoom features and called it his own.

No, actually I redid map07 to look more like a starbase, I added the thunder for atmosphere, and the ZDoom stuff is just something I like to add in my levels.
Your review was basically OMG THIS LEVEL SUCKS IT AND YOU SHOULDN'T TRY IT CAUSE IT USES ZDOOM FEATURES POINTLESSLY.
That, IMO, was not right. It wasn't much of a review, and I think IMO that my version of Dead Simple was much better than the original.

Old Post 12-04-02 21:26 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deathz0r
Bitch fuckin' stole me chaingun!

Hyena said:
heh. i feel like i'm making more.

Old Post 12-05-02 12:11 #
deathz0r is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hyena
Unfortunately it is lethal

I did not say "This level sucks because of zdoom features", but any reviewer who wants to actually do his job properly is going to notice that the switches are bright blue for no reason whatsoever and it's something to comment on.

Generally, what I do when I play a level to review, is look for both the good parts and the bad parts. Every great wad has a small flaw, and every terrible wad has some redeeming values.
If a feature is sort of good, I'll explain why. If it's sort of bad, I'll explain why.
And then to make it more entertaining to read, when it's really good I gush and start talking about dorky things like Commodore 64. And when it's really bad (or sometimes not so bad but just easy to poke fun at) I make fun of it. Not trying to offend anyone, I just want to make it more interesting to read them.

Unfortunately, this week I wasn't as witty as I was slightly rushed and didn't come up with funny run-on sentences.

Old Post 12-05-02 16:00 #
Hyena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

I made those switches blue for a reason; IMO they are more noticeable that way.

Old Post 12-05-02 18:21 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Yeah, but it's not like you'll miss them if they weren't blue :P

Old Post 12-05-02 18:56 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Afterglow
TROLL; IGNORE

mustafa saed said:

Yeah...But looks damn good just as it was months ago

Uh, what? Did you look at the same levels I did? If this is considered good, this community's standards have hit a new low. Cramped hallways. No interesting geometry or details. Same old tedious gothictx.wad texture scheme.

Old Post 12-06-02 22:39 #
Afterglow is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

this community's standards have hit a new low.
Perfectly true.

Old Post 12-06-02 23:23 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DOOM Anomaly
I am Weird Al

Afterglow said:
this community's standards have hit a new low.
...Blame the schools...It's always the schools' fault.

I Love Picklehammer! Do You?

Old Post 12-06-02 23:36 #
DOOM Anomaly is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

or that everyone get all hurt when people don't like their crappy maps.

Old Post 12-07-02 01:40 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nobbjob
Mini-Member

who gives a rats ass anyway. about anything, really

Old Post 12-07-02 02:21 #
nobbjob is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

There's nothing lamer than an author arguing with the reviewers... I mean, I can imagine a fan saying "no dude, Jack's map is 1337, you can't see it..." and giving his opinion but "uh, no, my map rocks, your review is wrong" is just dumb.

Old Post 12-07-02 02:34 #
myk is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag

It's called ego, kid.

Old Post 12-07-02 02:47 #
myk
volveré y seré millones

Calling it "ego" sounds somewhat redeeming. You miss my point entirely.

Old Post 12-07-02 03:10 #
myk is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DOOM Anomaly
I am Weird Al

Archvile46 said:
It's called ego, kid.
Pfft, kids these days, so naive, so young, so...stuff.

ahhh, the Irony's back :P

I Love Picklehammer! Do You?

Old Post 12-07-02 03:13 #
DOOM Anomaly is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mustafa saed
I seriously stink

Afterglow said:

Uh, what? Did you look at the same levels I did? If this is considered good, this community's standards have hit a new low. Cramped hallways. No interesting geometry or details. Same old tedious gothictx.wad texture scheme.

I respect your opinion afterglow....but I disagree with you on that.
The detail in my opinion is up there with slaughter deathmatch and sacrifice deathmatch.No interesting geometry? What about the castle map surrounded by water with the sounds of rushing water by the shores?Also,aren't you the one who reviewed it back then saying "Each map is artistically created" Lastly,what is your ideal doom map that represents the name detail?

Old Post 12-07-02 03:50 #
mustafa saed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mustafa saed
I seriously stink

AWWWWWW shit! MY bad afterglow. I keep getting you mixed up with andrewb.He is the one who said gothic dreams was artistically created.Also I like your sacrifice dm.

Old Post 12-07-02 03:58 #
mustafa saed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Afterglow
TROLL; IGNORE

That's ok. AndrewB's a jackass anyway.

Old Post 12-07-02 05:39 #
Afterglow is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Anders
No one knows I'm schepe

roflmao. just played that map07 replacement. that guy must have been joking when he uploaded it.

Old Post 12-07-02 11:35 #
Anders is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Epyo
Dude

Christ, if you make a bad wad, make another!

EDIT: Er...Make another wad, not a...um...bad wad...

Old Post 12-07-02 16:36 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

These reviews kick ass. They are more entertaining than informative, --funny as hell.

What if software archaeologists unearthed levels from the original DooM 1 that had somehow been lost and never made it into the original release of DooM? Project Doom the way id did explores what those levels might look like.

Old Post 12-08-02 00:49 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag

myk said:
Calling it "ego" sounds somewhat redeeming. You miss my point entirely.
No, I got your point. It still doesn't go any further than people thinking what they do is the best - ego. And ego definitely isn't a redeeming quality in my book. But whatever, I don't want to start an argument over something so dumb :P

Old Post 12-08-02 03:48 #