Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > ROTTing Code
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:01. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Wildman

Here is a comprehensive article on ROTT for the curious (credit: mentioned on the 3DR forum):

http://www.classicgaming.com/rott/hell/

Old Post 12-21-02 17:54 #
Wildman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

I played alot of ROTT DM cause it supported 16 players. but I can honestly say that the DM isn't as good as Rick is trying to make it sound. Specially since 50% of all the weapons were mass destruction weapons, like the nuke, the homing rocket etc. just hit fire and something will die. even if you don't aim on it. :p

True that Rott had tons of stuff. but it didn't have any replay appeal. It was alot like new games in that way, lots of tricky tricks and nothing that keeps you coming back for more. I once tried to play through 1 of the 2 episodes. but after a few maps of running around the mazes tryuing to find my way, but only finding the same places all the time (or so it seemed) I just gave up on it. it was so incredibly boring.

BTW Rick. how's it going with that story?

Old Post 12-21-02 22:49 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

Little Faith said:
Doom: Stuff could move up and down, but not to the sides.

RoTT: Stuff could move to the sides, but not up and down.

sort of the 'anti-doom engine' then.

Old Post 12-22-02 00:27 #
Captain Red is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

I downloaded the source and looked at it...I also wish I knew enough Watcom C to get it working in Windows, at least.

Old Post 12-22-02 20:39 #
yukib1t is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Trasher][
The game is not well!

Check the 3dr forums, it's already been converted to Linux!

Old Post 12-23-02 03:17 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pritch
Super Moderator

I couldn't give a shit about what features ROTT had/hasn't got, it was still a fun game, with a nice atmosphere, not in Doom's league, but then what was? ROTT was a blast and I hope someone makes decent use out of this important development.

Old Post 12-23-02 19:11 #
pritch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

Heh. I booted it up for laughs today, and it had charismasy stuff. The first level had Christmas music and your guy gets a Santa hat. Ho ho ho.

Old Post 12-24-02 09:21 #
Captain Red is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

ROTT, one of the most easter-egged games in history.

Old Post 12-27-02 10:06 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
spank
I'm afraid of Americans

And to knowledge it's also the game with most cheat codes.

Old Post 12-27-02 11:53 #
spank is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Ct_red_pants said:
Heh. I booted it up for laughs today, and it had charismasy stuff. The first level had Christmas music and your guy gets a Santa hat. Ho ho ho.

I had a poke around inside the file using XWE. There is also a witch's hat and Easter bunny ears, so I guess you get to see them at the right time of year too. I also found our old friend the DSBOSPIT sound. I think it may be part of the Kinetic Energy Sphere explosion sound.

There are some very nice sprites in there, not least of which are all the different player character sprites. I was thinking about doing a PC with them some time ago, but they lost too much detail when shrunk to a suitable Doom size. Now that Zdoom supports sprite scaling... I don't have the time for it myself, but they could be very useful.

Old Post 12-27-02 17:29 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote