Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The End of an Era

Well, it seems one very long, very great chapter in the history of Doomworld is about over now. Doomworld's founding webmaster, Andrew "Linguica" Stine, has decided it's time for him to step down from his position as commander and chief of this site after nearly five years of service. Ling's dedication and hard work are matched by few and you can see it throughout this site, from the design, to the content to the behind the scenes stuff as well. In fact, I'd say that since Doom's birth, there have been few who have spent as much time and dedication to that game we all know and love.

Personally I know how it is to run a fairly major Doom news site, having run Doomnation.com myself for a number of months before frag.com closed down. It's a thankless job. You put so much effort into maintaining the site, writing articles, getting news, organizing it, reporting bugs to the powers that be and all sorts of annoying odds and ends. On top of that the hours are crap and you don't get paid.

When you do something right, or really cool, people act like you were supposed to do it and you're lucky if one person thanks you. If you do something wrong you never hear the end of it. How Ling managed to stay with it for so long I'll never know, but I'm glad he did. The countless things I've learned from Doomworld, the many friends and many experiences are memories that will always be with me, and I doubt as many would have happened had Ling not been around. Doomworld will not be the same without him, and I only hope we can fill in the huge gap Ling will no doubt leave.

I for one am grateful for his dedication and hard work, and I'm proud to call him a friend.

THIS IS BULLSHIT DAMN YOU LING.. JUST FOR THIS I SHOULD KICK YOUR AI ASS IN SKULLTAG EVEN HARDER NOW THAT YOU GONE AND FUCKED MY LIFE ALL UP...LEAVING DOOMWORLD IS A SHITTY IDEA I MEAN WITHOUT PASSING YOUR CROWN OVER TO THE NEXT PERSON YOU SHOULD... YOU KNOW CUZ DOOMWORLD FUCKN OWNZ ME AND US ALL...DAMN YOU YOU SAUSAGE COCK OF A WEBMASTER GUY YOU ...FUCK YOU AND YOUR CROWN DONT BE SELFISH AND TAKE WHAT WE ALL LOVE AWAY WITH YOU..ITLL BE A HUGE MISTAKE AND ITLL PISS US ALL OFFF

ok now that im done venting it was a smart move to quit doomworld all and all what ever you do dont take doomworld with you pass the crown over to the next person...you made this castle a great castle this community had character and lots of cool people with funny and neat storys this place rocks...ive made lots of cool friends here so dont take away our doomworld

Thanks for the work you have put in this page/community! I wish you luck in whatever you're going to be doing next!

/me salutes Master Linguica.

/me listens to "Time of your life" while looking back at and remembering the past.

/me cries more.

Good-bye Linguica, we will surely miss you and all that you have done, we will be missing the biggest part of us all without your guidance, but we shall try. Its been great man, I just wish it could never end.

So-long Ling, and the bestest wishes from everyone in the Doom Community, you have guided us well. :)

It can't be true! Without Linguica the Old Days have gone forever, those good old days of good old DoomWorld. Nooooo!
Now there's only cyb. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Doomworld isnt Doomworld anymore without its genious head Linguica. Just because of this I think it is time for an redesign *g*

Nevertheless, we all know, that Ling has done an amazing job with Doomworld because it is still the Nr°1 source for all doomers.

This is definately, as the title states, the end of an era. I can only hope that what happened when Lee Killough left the community, won't happen this time around. Although Ling and myself never conversed too often on either #doomroom or #doom, I never forgot why this community is here. When Linguica started Doomworld, it brought together the doom community, gave it a home, and gave a piece of the pie to whoever had a love for the old game that forgot to die. I don't have any doubt in my mind that the reason this community is so strong, and so tight knit, is because of Doomworld, and Ling's priceless contribution and hard work for the community for such a long time. We don't have this because of a Gamespy business investment and a pre-fabricated website, this community is, as the cliche goes, by doomers and for doomers. Thank you, Ling, if it wern't for your website, the community would have never existed in the first place.

Thanks Linguica, too bad you're leaving, but in the end it is your decision.
Have fun with whatever you're gonna do next..

Ling...*sigh*, I'll always remember how I feared the shit out of IMing you on AIM, even as a mod and how cool you were about listening to me rant about stupid forum crap. You were always funny and great, even on IRC when you were telling people to fuck off. You've got your future ahead of you and you, hopefully, will do great things.

See you ling. Good luck with uni. Shame you won't be here when doom3 explodes, and the hard work you put into getting DW up to scratch in time pays off.

/me listens to "Time of your life" while looking back at and remembering the past.

Eww, please.

Don't think people didn't appreciate the work you put into Doomworld Ling. (Even if they didn't participate in the community much in the past couple of years.)
I hope everything works out for you.

I'll post this here too as the man deserves it...
Wow I'm speechless. That's a great story from a real pioneer. You should be knighted for your contribution to Doom. In some ways it must've been a difficult decision especially with the advent of Doom3, man is it going to be big! Still it's easy to understand after you've given so much and there's so much else to do in life.
You've set the standards Linguica and it's gonna be a hard act to follow, but you've laid firm foundations.:)
All Hail 'Sir Linguica of Doom'!!!! for his undoubted contributions to the Art.
The best of luck in the future and in whatever you do.:)

This is a really sad day! Ok, DW was rather slow on the news part the last couple months, but it was the page which kept the Doom community alive when DN went down. Thanks Ling!

Fredrik said:

/me plays the Super Mario 64 end credits music

/me plays D_BUNNY

Wow, I was only thinking yesterday how much I liked Ling's style. The way this site clearly has his stamp on it, and the way his presence is ever felt, but never pushed upon the visitors to this site.

A very comprehensive and well written goodbye. I wish you luck in whatever becomes your next venture, and thank you.

Well, this is indeed a sad day. I have been around the doom community since before Doomworld appeared, and I remember the profound impact Doomworld had on the community when it went live. It was both cheered and booed; it was either going to be the beginning of a new era in the community, or the corporatization of it. It was a strange and exciting time.

Well, we all know how it turned out. Doomworld has become THE place for all things Doom, and it is because of the leadership of the Ling-Master.

Good luck my friend; you will be missed.

This is way to early for an April fool joke.

Ling we support you in any choice you have made for your life and your future.

You will be sorely missed by all.

Good luck. Come back and see us from time to time.

:( Bye. Even though I don't know you or most of the people on this site, I'd like to say thanks for creating this site. It's been like a safe haven for me from most of the harsh realities of the world.

Bye. I never particularly liked you, but I do of course bow my head to all the hard non-profit work you did for this website, and by extension, the Doom community. Cheers, and may you find a new challenge worthy of your dedication.

king ling steps down. Thanks for everything, espically keeping doom alive and togather at least through web site form. Before you truely go however, has someone been named to take over doomworld?

You know, I can't count the number of times I've disagreed with Linguica, or the number of times I've been annoyed with him, and I'm sure there were quite a few times I've been upset with him.

Still, there goes the best damned webhost doom ever had.

Hopefully Morbidtwatt was joking with his all-caps reply, because regardless of the number of times Linguica and I have crossed paths, I'm going to kick the ass of whoever tries to flame him for this. He did an awesome job with this website, and I think the fact that this community still exists is partially because of that.

Linguica: Are you leaving the community altogether, or will you still be around, here and there? We're a small group and I hate to see any of us go.

Adios Ling,

For what little contact we had, you were damned respectable.

(tips his hat)
Dave