Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Insert Quip, Joke, and/or Pun Here

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:18. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bloodshedder
Spellchecker

SargeBaldy told me via IRC (yesterday, heh) that Speedmapping hosted by him will resume as normal tomorrow. Normal, as in, 19:00 GMT, which corresponds to 2 PM Eastern Standard Time. Normal, as in, irc.freenode.net channel #zdoom. That is all. Goodbye.

Old Post 02-23-03 00:48 #
Bloodshedder is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Epyo
Dude

fp.
Hey let's see if I can get there on time!

Old Post 02-23-03 01:12 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hyena
Unfortunately it is lethal

Hooray for non-lame speedmapping hosts. Man, that last guy, what's-his-name really really sucked. I hope he chokes on his all-butter breakfast and pass out in a bucket of his own vomit and drown.

Old Post 02-23-03 02:23 #
Hyena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mewse
aahahhh

:P

Old Post 02-23-03 03:11 #
mewse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Epyo
Dude

Hyena said:
Hooray for non-lame speedmapping hosts. Man, that last guy, what's-his-name really really sucked. I hope he chokes on his all-butter breakfast and pass out in a bucket of his own vomit and drown.

Yeah me too. Who was it? :P

Old Post 02-23-03 04:54 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Hyena said:

heh, well i hope i'm not :P i think i can generally expect at least one flame when people read my topic :P

Old Post 02-23-03 09:24 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Torn
google is your master

heh

Old Post 02-23-03 20:28 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zark
is more awesome than Ralphis

heh.

I'm sorry :(

Old Post 02-23-03 22:16 #
zark is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

Some nice maps in there. Map03 sucks though.

Old Post 02-23-03 23:23 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
magikal
May he rest in peace

Didn't even manage to start, comp problems:(

Old Post 02-24-03 00:00 #
magikal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Some really nice little maps there. Some capturing the theme really well. I had thought that an addition to the theme like

Place a spider demon as queen hissy for your end game boss - a dehacked one with the same HP as the spider and a faster attack than the regular caco will be provided, and will have the Romero head code pointer to exit the level when you kill it.

would have been quite cool.

That was until I saw the last map. Not really speed mapping, more speed custom texturing, but a stroke of genius none the less.

And on a side issue, am I the only one getting pissed off with "mocking" maps?

IMO, it's getting pretty damned old pretty damned fast.

Yeah, I get the point - shitty, inappropriate textures, bad alignment, poor enemy/weapon matching etc etc - mistakes we've all made at some point and worth taking the piss out of. And yes, it can be funny if done well. However, once is funny 5000 times isn't.

By the time Mock, Mock 2 or whatever comes out (if indeed it does) the joke will be so old, and have already been told in so many ways the entire point will have been lost. Perhaps that will be the ultimate mockery.

Old Post 02-24-03 03:11 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

magikal said:
Didn't even manage to start, comp problems:(

yeah i saw you around and thought you were going to map.. oh well there's always next week :)

Old Post 02-24-03 04:40 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Enjay said:

...am I the only one getting pissed off with "mocking" maps?...

By the time Mock, Mock 2 or whatever comes out (if indeed it does) the joke will be so old, and have already been told in so many ways the entire point will have been lost. Perhaps that will be the ultimate mockery.

yes i agree, there are quite a lot of needless joke maps lately. when half my speedmaps are jokes, that just means i need to make the theme a bit harder :P

and yes, mock2 WILL come out, it's about 98% complete. and it's far more amusing then 98% of the joke maps circling about, so i just hope all those little guys don't spoil the set they're spinning off :P

Old Post 02-24-03 04:49 #
Hyena

Enjay said:
Some really nice little maps there. Some capturing the theme really well. I had thought that an addition to the theme like

would have been quite cool.

That was until I saw the last map. Not really speed mapping, more speed custom texturing, but a stroke of genius none the less.

IMO, it's getting pretty damned old pretty damned fast.

Yeah, I get the point - shitty, inappropriate textures, bad alignment, poor enemy/weapon matching etc etc - mistakes we've all made at some point and worth taking the piss out of. And yes, it can be funny if done well. However, once is funny 5000 times isn't.

Actually, it's that reason that I put off mock 2's release. Because everyone's trying to be a damn comedian and people are going to be so sick of lame jokes that mock 2 will be totally ineffectual. I'm going to release it once the flow of joke wads stops.

Old Post 02-24-03 04:50 #
Hyena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Enjay said:
No, you're not. I think it's funny once every six years or so (THISSUXX.WAD in 1996; 1337.WAD in 2002). I was very disappointed to find that a recent speedmapping session had a "Mock" theme. I normally play all the maps in these packs, but quickly got bored with this one, even though some of my favourite mappers were involved.

Old Post 02-24-03 16:05 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
magikal
May he rest in peace

sargebaldy said:

yeah i saw you around and thought you were going to map.. oh well there's always next week :)

I was but as soon as I started I had problems, I was well pissed off. The good thing was I spent the time fixing my comp....successfully!
See ya next week sarge.

Old Post 02-24-03 23:10 #
magikal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hyena

I just looked up THISSUXX.WAD

Pretty funny. I love how they use the same music in every single level and for the title, intermission, and story music.

Old Post 02-25-03 01:08 #
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

sargebaldy said:
when half my speedmaps are jokes, that just means i need to make the theme a bit harder :P

Not that I've actually been involved but your themes seem to be more restrictive than other ones. Perhaps the "generic" (or possibly "bland" if you prefer) ideas have all been used up. Or maybe they're simply just not to your taste. However, something like "make a map suggested by the title "to hell and back"" is a lot more open than the back story you gave to your session. Just a thought. Perhaps a bit of mix 'n' match?

Old Post 02-25-03 11:26 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Enjay said:

Not that I've actually been involved but your themes seem to be more restrictive than other ones. Perhaps the "generic" (or possibly "bland" if you prefer) ideas have all been used up. Or maybe they're simply just not to your taste. However, something like "make a map suggested by the title "to hell and back"" is a lot more open than the back story you gave to your session. Just a thought. Perhaps a bit of mix 'n' match?

my next theme is going to be far more vague (it's actually based on an idea of nightmare's that he came up with after he was done doing speedmapping, so i'm going to steal it :)

Old Post 02-25-03 23:10 #