Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Duke3D Source Released

Heh, cool, I guess. Though it would've been better if the Duk3D source had been released years ago.

Arioch said:

The build engine isn't open sourced. Heh. Just the Duke-specific stuff.

yes it is.. the duke source contains a zip with the build source.. presumably also licensed under the GPL.

edit: i make this presumption because the original build source contained a strange non-commercial license written by ken silverman. the one inside the duke3d source code does not contain a license, so i'd say it's pretty safe to assume the gpl covers the entire package.

Randy Heit said:
The source release is also incomplete, so it can only be built with Watcom. Libmact is included only as a Watcom library (mact386.lib), so it's impossible to port the code to other compilers.

Randy Heit also said:
Yes, I saw it and have it sitting on my hard drive right now. I might or might not do something with it. However, the Build engine is still not GPL. The Duke source directory has the Build .OBJ files that Ken let 3D Realms use, and Ken's original Build source release is included as another zip inside the archive.

It don't look too good for the source release. :)

Arioch said:

It don't look too good for the source release. :)

the mact386.lib thing looks frightening, but i've responded to the gpl issue in the thread you quoted

The BUILD source on Ken's site has it's own special license. I don't have it here, but yeah. Basically, the Duke3d edit of the BUILD engine is GPL'd.

And there's the icculus Duke3d port for Linux, which people have been compiling for Win32 with their own little mods here and there.