Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

ZDoomGL Released

The latest version of ZDoomGL, 0.74, has finally left the beta stage and is currently available for public consumption. This version includes mirrors and skyboxes and tons of other bug fixes, which means it's great for playing those latest ZDoom maps like Gooberman's "I Forget The Name Of That Map With The Space Station And Conversation Trees"... but Cyb's Helm's Deep map ends up as a slideshow, I guess that's Cybs fault. Go geet it!

Actually Helm's Deep in ZDoomGL is nearly playable for me now, at 640x480. There's still some issues with the texture alignment (most visible in that tower) but it's fast enough that it beats the original performance of Helm's Deep pre-AI-enhancement in ZDoom-non-GL.

Arioch said:

Actually Helm's Deep in ZDoomGL is nearly playable for me now, at 640x480. There's still some issues with the texture alignment (most visible in that tower) but it's fast enough that it beats the original performance of Helm's Deep pre-AI-enhancement in ZDoom-non-GL.

Sweet.

*bows* :)

More articulate mood now, so:

That animated flat blending is fucking excellent. Warp to map 28, go straight ahead and turn [edit=right, wtf was I talking about], and you can watch the red cracks in the floor pulse really smoothly and evilly. An awesome effect. Will you be adding the possibility for sprite animation blending? It would look bad for the enemies, but the fire torches and demon fireballs would look really excellent with the effect.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Will you be adding the possibility for sprite animation blending? It would look bad for the enemies, but the fire torches and demon fireballs would look really excellent with the effect.

Heh, couldn't it be used to create a spooky look for enemies such as the Revenant? Just a thought.

*cough* spectre, lost soul *cough*.. I'd imagine it would get quite annoying quickly.

I'd actually like to see various enviornment mapping, such as lightmap, transparency map (a map that would be able to blend transparency in user defined spots, rather than one set value for the whole texture, think of the possibility for Skyboxes, casted light rays in caverns and such), and of course, detail textures.. which Iv'e grown a lot more fond of for Doom than the hi-res textures, than again, if the hi-res textures had more consistancy, there would be an exception.

Anywho, great work on Zdoomgl, I have to say it has the most promise out of any of the other gl ports out there.

Ed said:

I'd actually like to see various enviornment mapping

Once I get the texture alignment stuff done I'm on to 0.8 (md2 models and shader scripting language), though!

When I run this the monitor makes resolution-switching noises, I am then presented with a black screen with the sound of the game running in the background. The only way to get anything to display is to quit the game by feel whereupon it will switch back to 800x600 and I can see the desktop. I've tried different resolution values in the zdoom cfg file, but with no success.

boris said:

stuff about the shader language...

If you guys have any ideas on what features you'd like to see, let me know, ok? Here's an example of the syntax/features I've got planned so far (lets see if the code tag works):

shader name // texture/flat name 
{ 
   detail texName // detail texture 

layer texName 
   { 
      class texture // texture or flat 
      texgen none // none or sphere 
      vector 0 0 // movement in units/second 
      blend modulate // decal, add or modulate 
      scale 1 1 // scale for layer 
      warp false // true or false 
      offset 0 0 // offset for layer 
      rotation 0 // rotation for layer in degrees 
      rotate 0 // rotation in degrees/second 
   } 
}
Basically, if you define a shader (in the SHADERS lump) it will override that texture/flat in the game. Things like the "vector" field and the "rotate" field should look pretty cool since you'll be able to have smoothly rotating flats and textures with no ACS required... Oh, all values are floating point, of course. You can also have as many layers as you want, although the more layers there are the more rendering passes are required...

Jonathan said:

When I run this the monitor makes resolution-switching noises, I am then presented with a black screen with the sound of the game running in the background. The only way to get anything to display is to quit the game by feel whereupon it will switch back to 800x600 and I can see the desktop. I've tried different resolution values in the zdoom cfg file, but with no success.

Hmm, maybe try forcing the refresh rate to 60Hz (gl_vid_refresh 60)?? Also, you're editing the zdoom-<username>.ini file, right (zdoom-Administrator.ini for me)?

I'm getting lots of sky breaking through (I can see adjacent rooms), I still have version 0.73 and thats fine. Also when monsters get close they dissapear :(

Try playing with the gl_clip_nearclip cvar (controls near clipping plane)? It should default to 0.1, so try bumping it down to 0.05 or something. Setting it to 0 does bad things though (you lose the z buffer).

Yeah the refresh was set to 0 for some reason, setting to 60 fixed it. I got the same problem with clipping, possibly because the value in the cfg file was set to 1 not 0.1, are you sure you have the default right in the code?

Hmm, maybe I had the default set to 1 for 0.73, but changed it for 0.74 so it kept the old value... Well, I'll play with that a bit and see if I can't do away with those variables since the only reason they're there is so you can go underwater without seeing a flash of sky (set the plane really close and there's no flash, but other problems start showing up).

If you set the refresh rate to 0 it lets ZDoomGL pick the refresh rate for you (it attempts to find the highest refresh rate for that resolution), but you can force a refresh rate if you want. Try 72Hz and see if it still works, since anything is better than 60Hz :)

haha, wtf is that mess?! Hmm, what are the gl_clip_nearclip/gl_clip_farclip cvars set to? 0.1 & 8000 respectively should be ok. The stencil buffer is disabled too, right (gl_vid_stencilbits 0)? gl_vid_bitdepth is also set to 16 or 32, right?

Do you have access to the prerelease betas? If not, you should! Email me (zdoomgl@shaw.ca) and I'll get you hooked up, yo.

yep, I had all those (except farclip was set to 1000, but changing it to 8000 didn't help).

actually I just figured it out. When I load a map via -warp from the command line it looks like that (any map format), but if I warp from within the game (via console or idclev) or start a new game via the menu then it looks just fine.

and I don't have access to prereleases! cyb@frad.org!!!