Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #135

mystic said:

... Doom Raider is a perfect advert for zdoom.

Exactly! It should be shipped with the zDoom zip files or at least featured on the homepage! It really makes great use of a lot key features of the port, and in a spectacular way too. It's the inspiration for anyone giving a go at rather advanced zDoom editing. The same could go for "QDoom" for EDGE and "Phobia" for Legacy... can't really think of anything for jDoom, though. ;)

By the way, the review said that the first few levels of heroes2 weren't that good.
For the most part I agree, but map01 is a very cool level.

I mean, the level design isn't particularly great, but some of the effects worked in were years ahead of its time.
Some of them are simple, like lost souls rising from graves. Others are very complex, like a switch that raises a ceiling that explodes a bunch of barrels, which cause voodoo dolls to be propelled into teleporters that telefrag a bunch of cyberdemons, allowing you to pass safely by them.

Meta.wad is a nice looking level with very good gameplay. Nice work guys :).

The Ultimate DooMer said:

• IPX Setup for CTF DooM by John Cole
    16kb - doom1/2.exe - CO/DM -
    Self-explanatory, with the updates listed in the text file.

• Novert by Istvan Pataki
    1kb - n/a - n/a -
    A program that turns off vertical mouse movement in dos games like Doom....what use that has is another question.

• Doom v1.1 to v1.2 patch by id Software
    441kb - doom.exe - n/a
    If you don't know what this is, you need to be slapped around the cheeks with a trout....this patch upgrades registered Doom v1.1 to v1.2...not that anyone will want to do that of course.

• Doom v1.2 to v1.666 patch by id Software
    752kb - doom.exe - n/a -
    ...and here's another one - the difference is that this patch lets you downgrade from Ultimate Doom v1.9 as well as upgrade from registered v1.2...not that anyone will want to do that either.[/list]

• Uh? Did you mess up using a template or something?

I dunno what the file size limit of the archives is, heh, and in any case they probably wouldnt take the D64 music wads cause they have MP3's in (though the TC does run without them, if you dont mind the doom2 music XD, well i had to do something while 20megs downloaded)

I just got around to playing meta.wad... is it just me or are the two music lumps switched around? I think the intermission theme would go better in the level. About five minutes in I said "screw this" and switched them myself before continuing...

Ah well. Now Doom Raider. :-)

If you don't know what this is, you need to be slapped around the cheeks with a trout....this patch upgrades registered Doom v1.1 to v1.2...not that anyone will want to do that of course.
    ...and here's another one - the difference is that this patch lets you downgrade from Ultimate Doom v1.9 as well as upgrade from registered v1.2...not that anyone will want to do that either.

Actually you may want to try out a mod or demo made for a very specific doom version, and need to downgrade to do so.

deathbringer said:

I dunno what the file size limit of the archives is, heh, and in any case they probably wouldnt take the D64 music wads cause they have MP3's in (though the TC does run without them, if you dont mind the doom2 music XD, well i had to do something while 20megs downloaded)

the archive limit is 50 megs, so the smaller music wad + maps/gfx/sounds would be within the limit, it's simply more of a matter that it's a wad entirely filled with copyrighted material

Nope, it's because you're trying to quote it. Read the reviews at the top of the thread and you'll see nothing's wrong.

I don't mean the way it looks, I just wondered why IPX-CTF, NoVert, and the Doom upgrade patches were in the /newstuff chronicles this week when they've been on the download pages for years?

Tch, some people moan when the /newstuff reviewers don't review old stuff, and then other people complain when they do. Oh well, guess you can never make everyone happy :|

MaTT [TiK] said:
    I don't mean the way it looks, I just wondered why IPX-CTF, NoVert, and the Doom upgrade patches were in the /newstuff chronicles this week when they've been on the download pages for years?

Because the purpose of "The /newstuff Chronicles" is to review whatever happens to be in the /newstuff folder that week. Though the reviewers sometimes decide, at their discretion, not to review certain things.

By the way, I don't believe those particular upgrade patches had been readily available before they were recently uploaded. The shareware equivalents had been, but not the ones to upgrade the registered version.

No it isn't.

...whistles innocently as he sneaks out the door...

MaTT [TiK] said:

On thedownloadpages.com? Well, their server must be down at the moment, then.

NiGHTMARE said:

Tch, some people moan when the /newstuff reviewers don't review old stuff, and then other people complain when they do. Oh well, guess you can never make everyone happy :|

Nah, I'm not complaining, I just wondered if it was a cock-up or done on purpose.