Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

Die, Phobos Lab, Die!

It is with a heavy heart, and a tear in my eye, that I have to say goodbye to the Phobos Lab. It seems everyone involved with the site has moved to this new place called "PlanetDOOM", whatever that means.

I guess if all you want is doom3 news, and a bit quicker than doomworld, then planet doom is the place for you.

couvier said:

I guess if all you want is doom3 news, and a bit quicker than doomworld, then planet doom is the place for you.

Is something wrong with your head?

heh, the competition has arrived! Or as I like to call it, the place that keeps the newbies sparse.

Ralphis said:

heh, the competition has arrived! Or as I like to call it, the place that keeps the newbies sparse.

One can only hope!

You know, DOOM-SECTOR and PLANETDOOM have to have a mention in a sequel to DWFORUMS.WAD now.

there's nothing specifically wrong with gamespy. i have fond memories of helping with PlanetAnachronox.

couvier said:

A bit quicker? You mean quicker loading?

I just want to ask something..

This ain't going to turn into one of those "this site is better than that site" things is it?

Aleaver said:

I just want to ask something..

This ain't going to turn into one of those "this site is better than that site" things is it?

That would hardly be necessary. We all know DW is better.

I generally tend to stay away from Planet <insert name of game here>.

Ralphis said:

Nah.

* Newbies that wouldn't have otherwise heard of Doomworld go to Planetdoom.

* They find the Classic Doom section.

* They click on links that lead to Doomworld (tutorials or whatever.)

* Newbies simmer to and fro like flies in the summer shade.

* Newbies everywhere.

Wow, a lot of Gamespy or planetsomething hating going on and hardly any of you cared to share a reason why you have these opinions. I see Gamespy's planet sites serving as a place where newbies can instantly turn to update their games or just get general info, as well as obtain links to other more-indepth sites that can maintain their interest.

And what the hell is this aggression against "newbies." Everyone was a newbie at one time and people have to start somewhere. I would welcome new people that have shown newfound interest in the classics rather than shunning them and maintaining that bullshit elitist attitude as seen here "That would hardly be necessary. We all know DW is better."

I'm just wondering. I moderate PlanetDoom's forums, but with no competition hate here, I was just wondering where all the Gamespy hate comes from

First of all I'd like to mention that I am a big fan of DoomWorld for all and any classical Doom information. With that in mind, PlanetDoom is about Doom 3, not about Doom I, II, and such. There are simple overviews, but obviously D3 is the only reason it exists.

Now PD is young, and hell D3 isn't even out. So just judging from Planet* sites in general I'd like to glance at content. For example, PlanetQuake, host to 90% of Quake III mods, provides news about everything quake, has tutorials, applications, features, god knows what... Basically anything you might ever want to know about Q3 can be found at, or through planetquake.

GameSpy holds a lot of power in being an easy navigatable portal with lots of hosting options, etc. If it's not ON the site, there's most likely a link to a thing about it somewhere.

And anyway, intersite rivalry is plain silly, like some places banning people from their forums because I belong to these and PDs forums. This handicapped me from finding out very crucial information, but I won't go into detail.

people just hate gamespy because it's the cool thing to do. plus the servers are slow, the queue lines are awful, they sell your info to whoever wants it, you have to register to do anything aside from viewing web pages and the gamespy client is full of spyware. aside from that gamespy is okay by me, I go to a couple sites semi-regularly.

i have no problems with gamespy really, except for what cyb just mentioned heh. and it's nice to see a doom III site popping up, i hope it lures away some of the doom III crowd from here.

Any network that hosted "Dear Mynx" can't be all bad. Although Gamespy has changed a lot since those days... Heh, I also used to visit qdevels a lot back when Q2 first came out, too :)

Some of the ad stuff is a bit over-the-top, and the queues at Fileplanet are a tad annoying (Although I'll admit it's a understandable decision), but Gamespy's a good place to get new patches fast.

While Doomworld has the community and Classic Doom cornered, PlanetDoom has Gamespy's influence over the industry as a prime advantage, as well as more file servers than Jesus, and could be good at beating Doom3 stuff out of id.

One thing's for certain: The Doom community just got that bit more interesting.

Trasher][ said:
One thing's for certain: The Doom community just got that bit more interesting.

i for one don't consider the doom3 community part of the doom community at all. i mean, how many people in this community are going to map for doom3? a handful at most i'd wager. the quake3 community is far more similar to the doom3 community than the doom community is.

Vile said:

And what the hell is this aggression against "newbies." Everyone was a newbie at one time and people have to start somewhere. I would welcome new people that have shown newfound interest in the classics rather than shunning them and maintaining that bullshit elitist attitude as seen here "That would hardly be necessary. We all know DW is better."

I think they're mainly talking about the Doom 3 crowd, a lot of whom won't give a crap about classic Doom.

Cyb said:

servers are slow

Bullshit, I get 100-300kbps downloads off their servers.

I still don't get why people think getting 404's or "sorry, this server is busy, please try again later" for hours upon end, or a 0.01kb/s download is prefferable to being placed in a que and then getting a reasonably fast download once you've finished queing.

Grogglogobofink said:

i for one don't consider the doom3 community part of the doom community at all. i mean, how many people in this community are going to map for doom3? a handful at most i'd wager. the quake3 community is far more similar to the doom3 community than the doom community is.

Good point. However, I can see more than a few people here doing skins/textures or sounds for Doom3 mods.

h0peless said:
And anyway, intersite rivalry is plain silly, like some places banning people from their forums because I belong to these and PDs forums. This handicapped me from finding out very crucial information, but I won't go into detail.

That won't happen on Doomworld. Posts are judged against forum rules and common sense/decency and not on who you are or where you come from.

That said, there is something I really despise. This is of course not directed at anyone in particular... just a general remark about what I really don't like about some competitors (past, present, future). Like, people designing another Doom1/2/3 site but copying files / descriptions straight from Doomworld without credit. Like Fileplanet did a few years back when copying stuff from Doomworld... including the few spelling mistakes I made when making up those descriptions.

I also included a few extra text files in some random archives of ours, saying "this file originated from Doomworld; if you downloaded this from anywhere else you know they ripped us off". It's just AMAZING on how many other sites I've discovered this text file in their archives.

I'm sure that when I come home and examine things on your new planet site more closely, I won't find anything like that. Right? Because I would be really, really funny if I caught Fileplanet/Gamespy doing the old copy&paste thing AGAIN.