Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #149

Grazza, you're making me waste my breath here. Who cares about that reasoning? The point is, why even come out and say "oh no, more DM wads" just cause you don't play them? As if what appears on the /newstuff Chronicles were made in demand and as if it were necessary to censure what each of us doesn't play. As if DM weren't a rather relevant part of the game... Whoever made the maps made them for a reason. If you want something specific, ask for it or suggest it, but don't go around saying "no" to whatever you don't need here; this is a place where people freely upload whatever they decided to make for whatever reason they wanted. What, the two or three DM wads on the list clutter your Internet Explorer window? Ow, that must hurt!

My point is you gotta be real bitchy to be saying that whenever more than one DM wad shows up on the list.

myk said:

Grazza, you're making me waste my breath here. Who cares about that reasoning? The point is, why even come out and say "oh no, more DM wads" just cause you don't play them? As if what appears on the /newstuff Chronicles were made in demand and as if it were necessary to censure what each of us doesn't play. As if DM weren't a rather relevant part of the game... Whoever made the maps made them for a reason. If you want something specific, ask for it or suggest it, but don't go around saying "no" to whatever you don't need here; this is a place where people freely upload whatever they decided to make for whatever reason they wanted. What, the two or three DM wads on the list clutter your Internet Explorer window? Ow, that must hurt!

My point is you gotta be real bitchy to be saying that whenever more than one DM wad shows up on the list.

Well, he will have to start playing them next week...

In any case, if a DM map gets a really good review, then you never know - the author might knock out a single player version. (Narcosis, anyone?) (btw, what's the SP version called, as I never got round to playing it)

Epyo said:

Come on UD you're supposed to tell me which wads are the newbie wads so I don't download them. It's your job!

Guess I'll go play Teh pain Emmental!

EDIT:

Come on UD you're supposed to tell me which wads can lag some computers so I don't download them. It's your job!

There's no n00b maps this week. (not that I know of)

EDIT:

There's no laggy wads this week either! (and I don't know your system specs anyway)

myk said:

stuff

This post completely baffles me. You seem to be reading all sorts of things into my post that simply weren't there at all.

Grazza said:
This post completely baffles me. You seem to be reading all sorts of things into my post that simply weren't there at all.

You were clarifying their reasoning as I reply to my post, which made me feel maybe I hadn't been clear above and inspired me to add something quite relevant. Note that the "you" in my post was the generic you (I thought it was pretty obvious.)

I'm not supposed to know everything you mean, I just read what you write. For instance, by clarifying my doubt you didn't consider it was rather rhetorical, o maybe you did but it served as a trigger for something you wanted to say. Well, same here, I replied to your post but was obviously continuing the larger conversation going on.

Doom Dude said:

I'm only just warming up and started on map02 already. ;) Anyhow, I'd like to see what you've done as well...

O_O It's a megawad? Wow...
The level I'm doing is just a break from my own megawad which is for vanilla doom2 (zdoom reccomended though). I have two comps I'm on at different times, and each one has the other project... my castle level is for heretic, it replaces E1M8 (for an ironlich death special).

I don't plan on uploading this wad to our site until it's finished. I posted some early screenshots in this thread, though.

But wow, legacy castle levels take a LOT of dummy sectors. I have spiral staircases with 24 dummy sectors each... :-/

myk said:

Note that the "you" in my post was the generic you (I thought it was pretty obvious.)

Ah, the vagaries of the English language. Just to clarify: I have nothing at all against DM wads, and have no firm view on what proportion of them get used for DM.

netnomad312 said:

O_O It's a megawad? Wow...
The level I'm doing is just a break from my own megawad which is for vanilla doom2 (zdoom reccomended though). I have two comps I'm on at different times, and each one has the other project... my castle level is for heretic, it replaces E1M8 (for an ironlich death special).

I don't plan on uploading this wad to our site until it's finished. I posted some early screenshots in this thread, though.

But wow, legacy castle levels take a LOT of dummy sectors. I have spiral staircases with 24 dummy sectors each... :-/

Yeah it's a planned Megawad (unamed so far) but I may just make a 9 lvl episode or somesuch instead. I also have a 9 lvl, Legacy Heretic project in the works called Shadowcore, that I started last year. I released the first map and have 3 other maps almost finished. Those don't have any 3d tables and chairs yet as I just clued in now to try and make those in Blood Pentagram. Anyhow I'm sure I'll be doing those in Shadow plus anything else I can think of, once I get back into mapping for that.

The screenshots in that thread you provided were not available, not even with a copy / paste into the browser trick.

I haven't attempted any spiral staircases like you mention.... sounds awesome. :) I always found making regular spirals a pain. ;)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

• Teh Pain Emmental by Espi
    618kb -source port - SP - (img)
    A rather silly wad comprising of a huge grid of identikit square rooms with identikit contents (the rooms look quite good, btw). Gameplay consists of blasting away millions of lost souls/pain elementals with rockets (and secret plasma gun). And in ZDoom you have the added annoyance of reloading your save every time a lost soul opens another door (releasing an unstoppable plague). The only way to succeed is to magically know where the important rooms are, use god mode or break F9. In short, don't bother.

Actually, when played in god mode, that one is fun (for a short amount of time, anyway), only because it's so silly.

Like fanatic said. this is not the first time someone makes chairs and tables with 3d floors.. not the last either..

Doom Dude said:

The screenshots in that thread you provided were not available, not even with a copy / paste into the browser trick.

Bah... I hate Tripod's linking policy.

Doom Dude said:

I haven't attempted any spiral staircases like you mention.... sounds awesome. :) I always found making regular spirals a pain. ;)

Took me 24 dummy sectors and 8 tags for the stairs between the dungeon floor and the main floor... but on the plus side, I did the same thing in the other turret as to save myself another 24 sectors and 8 tags.

"Blood Pentagram", while a good map, crashes whenever you try to load a save game. "Save game corrupt", it says. This ruins an otherwise worthy map.

omg, i'll have to make that map ive been planning to make for some time now, so that it can be uploaded on teh 150 XD

Damon said:

"Blood Pentagram", while a good map, crashes whenever you try to load a save game. "Save game corrupt", it says. This ruins an otherwise worthy map.

That is indeed a dumb Legacy bug. Get the latest version (141b) which ws just released. I just tested it and she works fine....

Here is the link to download the lastest Legacy:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2479&release_id=188512

Cyb said:
hirogen: I did use ftp which was part of the problem, does it take regexps are file arguments? maybe I should rtfm heh. I also had to putz with gimp to resize the screenshot for the main page, gimp is really weird, it sure could use some sort of central window or something. getting off topic here but I've just installed this on a home machine that I can use whenever I come home from uni just for the hell of it really. I'd also be super happy if I could get sound working, but can't have everything can we (grumble linux grumble)

a couple of these maps sound pretty decent, I'll have to play them once I get back to skool where my win2k machine is <3 [/B]

Heh yeah. No, console ftp doesnot take regexps. It however does take wildcards (with * and ? only) when using the mget or mput commands, i.e. "mget *.zip" ykthx.
Gimp IS weird. It totally differs from /any/ "paint" program. What you start with is a well something where you have to open the file. To round it up, you got a separate window for every friggin thing. Not so the case with i.e. PSP or PS. I barely can do any imaging within X, but if it's just about resizing I like to use "xv" (xview) or ImageMagick (command line lol), convert input.jpg -size 320x200 png:out.png.
Install VMware, use Windows from within Linux. Be happy with one host ;)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

playeditplayeditplayeditplayeditplayedit</evenmorebrokenrecord>

Well of course YOU did LolOlolOloLolOlolOl