Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

Official Sites

There's an Activision-owned Doom3.com site, with "creepy" flash splash and a big "Coming Soon".. very informative. Also, id Software has their UA Corporation site with a big "Connection Unavailable", but there is no hidden code to be found in the source code, which might mean that Mr. Duffy is a little occupied with game production rather than Viginere cyphers. These two are probably the sites that we are going to be watching when the game leaves the shadows and greets it's adoring public.

Today is Rememberance Day here in Canada.. I think the Australians have it too, and the British had something last Saturday but my English friend is a little thick.. so whatever, honour thy veterans and such, especially if they're family.

sniperfrommars1 said:

Any day now its gonna be out, all signs actually lead to it now. I call dibs on saying its gonna be march. Remember this thread :>

Um, they already said that Doom3 will be coming out durning the next fiscal year, meaning sometime after April 2004.

ravage said:

Um, they already said that Doom3 will be coming out durning the next fiscal year, meaning sometime after April 2004.

I already stated in a previous post information i had from amazon.com where i work. Hello! It doesnt say after april it says profits will be increased in april ass

Fredrik said:

Slow news day?

They're all slow these days.

AndrewB said:

Journalism quality has gone downhill.

what the hell are you talking about

sniperfrommars1 said:

It doesnt say after april it says profits will be increased in april ass

Wow, for someone who works at Amazon.com, you sure do act professional.

AndrewB said:

Then you have two options :

1) Become a Doomworld newsie and improve the quality

2) Shut your face. Like it or lump it.

I (and I know I'm not alone on this, obviously) like the DW newsies, at least they're not boring and they provide us with news. It's not their fault that the influx of worthy news is slow.

sniperfrommars1 said:

I already stated in a previous post information i had from amazon.com where i work. Hello! It doesnt say after april it says profits will be increased in april ass

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that I'm just an ignorant ass. Thank you so much for enlightening me.

I was being sarcastic.

Bloodshedder said:

I do not fully understand what you mean by the quality of the news going downhill. Could you please be so kind as to clarify your position?

I meant the quality has gone downhill since I last paid attention to DW news, which was about 3 years ago. Things like formalities, standards, consistency, and professionalism have sort of taken a leave of absence.

But is it a big deal? I doubt it. You might say that the newsies of yesteryear (Ling, Cov, Mord) were high-strung and put more effort into their work than was necessary. Ala "perfectionism."

AndrewB said:

Sounds like biased nostalgia or something even less interesting.

More importantly, I think that Doom3.com page should not be using that font for the "coming soon" text (and the white text underneath); looks stupid. They should actually make a font for the specific purpose, one that fits in with the logo and hasn't been used to exhaustion by RPGs and other miscellaneous stuff and whatnot.

Just a small note as my first post :). Rememberance Day is on the 11th in Britian, just like (almost) everywhere else...something about the 11th Hour, of the 11th Day, of the 11th Month ring any bells?

It was once called Armistice Day, which celebrated the end of the first World War.

AndrewB said:

the newsies of yesteryear (Ling, Cov, Mord) were high-strung and put more effort into their work than was necessary. Ala "perfectionism."

I should be offended not to be in that list... oh well.

AndrewB said:

Things like formalities, standards, consistency, and professionalism have sort of taken a leave of absence.

I always attempt to retain those sorts of qualities. Some of the other newsies on the other hand (ahem) don't seem to bother with them though.

holy christ bloodshedder, are you actually letting something ANDREWB said get to you? If so please promptly rethink your entire life.

I've said this before when I was webmaster of DoomNation (a site most of you probably don't remember) and I'll say it again. I can't, for the life of me, understand why people can OBSESS over a 10 year old game with a basic plot of "demons from hell come through teleportation portals and take over bases on the moons of mars" (please reread that sentence a few times and take in just how utterly ridiculous it is) and THEN have the nerve to get all pissy when someone makes an update about said game that is 'less than professional quality'. For the love of fucking god, get a life, it's a website about a game. Games are supposed to be fun and the people running this site do so out of complete and total charity. None of us get anything in return, there's absolutly zero benefit reaped here, so you can damn well bet your ass I'm not going to make some stuffy one-line updates with zero personality because that's not very enjoyable for me. Don't like it? Don't read the news. Simple as that.

I think I saw that post coming.

Certainly no one can argue that DoomNation was a bad site. Your crazy updates are basically what made it an enjoyable place to visit. Back then, Doomworld, on the other hand, was all about being professional. I do agree that humor does have its place. Nowadays it seems Doomworld is moving towards a less uptight attitude, and I don't really see a problem with that. However, I plan on posting any news in the same manner that I have done before, which just so happens to coincide with the style of posts of yesteryear. Yours (and mewse's) styles, to be frank, differ from mine, which can be a good thing because it makes the site less homogenous. Please don't take anything I've said as an insult to you or your character, because it wasn't meant that way.

It's obvious that today's Doomworld isn't the same as Doomworld three years ago, but who's to say that's a bad thing? I don't think it is; things tend to change as time passes.

As for the argument that one gets no benefit from working on the site, I can see how you mean that in a monetary point of view, but there are other ways to benefit from your work. Being proud of something you have done for the site, for instance. Or the recognition you might get (granted, often on a rather small scale).

Obsessing over the game and obsessing over the "quality" of news posts on the site are two different things. As long as Doomworld doesn't turn into the SomethingAwful forums, I think we'll be fine.

Bloodshedder said:

I think I saw that post coming.

I agree 100%

Actually my post wasn't directed at you (except the first part), but more in general, though I suppose I should follow my own advice and not let andrewb get to me :P

I used to visit Doomnation every day until it went down... then I registered on the Doomworld forums.