Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom 2 Speedrun Movie

entryway said:

I disagree. It is the easiest rocketjump for all demo. It is easier than at 19-th level. I have made it from the first attempt. To me has bothered again and again to quick bypass Imp at top of the stairs. But time it has saved, certainly, a little.

It is certainly very hard in scratch demos, MAP29 not having a rocket launcher and all...
And we won't see much of it in competition movie demos, there are RJ's which are more rewarding.

ocelot said:

How exactly was this demo done? Is it built or only tas? I cant figure it out from the textfile. It's definitely "more cheated" than 30uv1617 since that one only uses slowmo and savegames.

I did not use savegames. Instead of it I play a demo till the moment necessary to me in a fastdemo mode. It borrows no more than 3-4 seconds on my Celeron1000

I can't get the demo to work. Legacy, PrBoom 2.24 and 2.3 all desynch already in the first corridor of Map01. And apparently, I can't get any other demos to run, either. They work with the basic Doom2.exe, but as I'm running Windows XP, the FPS is _really_ low. What to do?

Deewiant said:

I can't get the demo to work. Legacy, PrBoom 2.24 and 2.3 all desynch already in the first corridor of Map01. And apparently, I can't get any other demos to run, either. They work with the basic Doom2.exe, but as I'm running Windows XP, the FPS is _really_ low. What to do?

If desync at viewing in prboom 2.2.3(2.2.4 or 2.3.0) then find original doom2.wad v1.9. If you want to view my demo with original doom2 from WinXP then download VDMSound from https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=20091&package_id=14610&release_id=46941 and run doom2 through him.

entryway said:

If desync at viewing in prboom 2.2.3(2.2.4 or 2.3.0) then find original doom2.wad v1.9. If you want to view my demo with original doom2 from WinXP then download VDMSound from https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=20091&package_id=14610&release_id=46941 and run doom2 through him.

Tried that already - doom2.exe still slows down completely whenever a sound is played.

Which reminds me, if I turn off the sounds in Doom II's setup, it runs fine. It's just that I'd prefer having sounds as well.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot... Your mention of v1.9 led me to check my version, and I saw v1.666 staring at me... patched and solved. Thanks to all who answered anyways!

Deewiant said:

Tried that already - doom2.exe still slows down completely whenever a sound is played.
Which reminds me, if I turn off the sounds in Doom II's setup, it runs fine. It's just that I'd prefer having sounds as well.

Find the cli2nop program and patch your doom2.exe.
cli2nop -p doom2.exe

where can I actually find the Soud Blaster emulator "Sound FX2000" ?
All the links I found are dead, any would be great !

First of all, nice demo but !!!! :
Sedlo was making these days a new doom2 run one with tasmbf.
Andrey's demo is still far from 'good' one since he used permanent? sterafe50, shaking movement, missed map24 RJ's, and some maps are still beatable tho! There are no new tricks in this one adamh, even on map29 since I knew about this one year ago, sedlo told me for those
When I saw txt and map30 (0:29) i tought that all maps are fully optimized, but hell, there are just too many mistakes in it. Shame he didn't ask for more help. And yes, I'm sure Sedlo will drop now his project, even he had better times. He just wanted to it below 15:00, hehe, lamer, so since Andrey did it it's pointless :)))
For me, this demo is relly fast, but not so enjoyable as Sedlo's.
Good job Andrey!
http://doom.gamer.hr

couvier said:

Blown away! Watching those reminded me of way back in the mid 90s when i was doing speed runs through doom2. If you want to see them, go here...

http://www.geocities.com/couvier2000/doom2.html

Make sure to check out D2all.lmp (single player speed run though doom2) and Sdoom2.lmp (2 player speed run through doom2). Old but still impressive for its time.

Hmm. On your page, you say "Also, i do belive that these are one of the very first speed demos for doom2 ever to be showed on the internet."

Well, not really. COMPET-N was founded long before 1996.

fx02 said:

Sedlo was making these days a new doom2 run one with tasmbf.

tasmbf it is not compatible with original Doom. It poorly.

shaking movement

Someone knows as it to avoid in prboom with slowmo?

missed map24 RJ's

I tried to jump, but have not guessed to use rocket :( Sorry. And in all missed tricks and shortcuts blame not me, but Opulent :))). Here his answer:
You might want to contact sedlo/Adam H./Adam W. for improved times.
I think all the shortcuts are in Cn speedruns now...

But Adam and Sedlo ignored my previous emails about my doom2 maxkill movie and I did not have a desire to ask them :(

Good job Andrey!

Thanks. Not easy work. About 80 hours not considering programming.
If record of demos paid money, I am confident that someone has recorded faster. I could record a new demo in 13.xx minutes. But to begin from scratch through missed rocketjump there is no desire and opportunities

I throughly enjoyed the run, the time counts more than sedlo-style movement for me. Great job.

Nah. Style means just as much as time in a demo like this imo, and on the style account this one dosn't score high. Its a nice effort all in all tho, and certainly must have required some time to put together.

One problem I have with it personally is the way the txt compares to sedlos run when the two are not really comperable. This is bound to annoy some people with a tad more insight than the casual viewer.

This is true, the two runs are completely different in many ways and shouldn't be compared.

entryway said:

But Adam and Sedlo ignored my previous emails about my doom2 maxkill movie and I did not have a desire to ask them :(

Yup, that'as annoying when you need help and you don't get any :(
But as I know it's hard to get a mail replay from Marijo since he check's his mail once a year :)
Zvonimir Buzanic
http://doom.gamer.hr

What do people use for playing demos? Obviously Zdoom won't work. Prboom crashes (I can't even play a normal game in it). I assume skulltag would have the same problems at Zdoom. jDoom fails as well.

Epistax said:

What do people use for playing demos? Obviously Zdoom won't work. Prboom crashes (I can't even play a normal game in it). I assume skulltag would have the same problems at Zdoom. jDoom fails as well.

ZDoom it is not compatible with original doom2. Use original doom2 v1.9 or only 100% compatible ports such as prboom 2.2.3 (or later) or Eternity.

I don't know why PRBoom does not work for you. PRBoom the most stable port. Inform about the problem on a link below: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=3396*atid=103396

Or try Eternity engine from http://doomworld.com/eternity/etcengine.html But only soft render.

It will play back with doom2.exe, eternity or prboom (or glboom).

If you have problems with prboom.exe crashing, try setting the resolution to 640x480. Glboom should be fine at higher resolutions (I normally use 1600x1200 with no problems), as long as your video card is happy with it.

Note that in general demos only play back with the same program that they were recorded with. Eternity and Prboom's compatibility with the original exes is only due to a great deal of effort from their programmers.

Andrey's is really a great effort and all should congratulate him for that.
Would be great he could go for sub 14 mins. But also make smoother moves that would make really much more enjoyable to watch :)

Congrats Andrey !

That's true. Although comparing the run to Sedlo's is wrong, it did require tons of work and is a cool thing to have around.

Congrats Andrey.

VinceDSS said:

Andrey's is really a great effort and all should congratulate him for that.
Would be great he could go for sub 14 mins. But also make smoother moves that would make really much more enjoyable to watch

I have re-record my 30uv1448 demo starting with 24 level.
lv24: missed rocketjump. (-5 sec)
lv26: (-1 sec)
lv28: archvile jump. (-1 sec)
Now all are pleased?
I submit news to DoomWorld when the demo will be done. Approximately tomorrow or hardly later

It seems to me that 14:30 might be a hypothetical optimal time for Doom 2 (assuming that no other shortcuts can be found). Sub 14 won't happen though. Unless someone discovers something along the lines of a way to skip MAP29 entirely =P

I think some time can be saved by really flawless movement sedlo style with sr50 on all the time, not 30 secs though.

Fredrik said:

Sub 14 won't happen though

-11 seconds can be received having passed 32-nd level. Remains only 20. On a second at small levels (5, 6, 11, 12, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21...) and on two on big (17)

Unless someone discovers something along the lines of a way to skip MAP29 entirely =P

I think that it probably. Rocketjump from a platform with a backpack on finishing ladder

Erik said:

I think some time can be saved by really flawless movement sedlo style with sr50 on all the time, not 30 secs though.

But 20 - it`s quite possible

entryway said:

But 20 - it`s quite possible

It'd be awesome if someone could do it - certainly. But I'll want to see it before I believe it =)

Skipping MAP32 is a good point by the way - I actually didn't think of that.