Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Prepare for Action

Action Doom is great, very original stuff. Definitely one of the coolest wads I've seen in awhile, be on the the lookout for it.

Im willing to say that Action Doom is one of the most fun and creative projects in Doom's history.

Action DooM may be an ill chosen name.
There allready exists a mod named "Action DooM".
http://actiondoom.cjb.net/

It is not forbidden to have a mod with the same name,
but common sense and politeness speaks against it.

Because this older "Action DooM" exists, Immoral Conduct changed name to just Immoral Conduct.
It was named "Action DooM" before.
http://www.doomworld.com/immoralconduct/

However, since the older "Action DooM" seems to be fairly inactive,
I have no objection to the new "Action DooM".

In fact, I am overjoyed that someone actually wants to bring the best mod in history (Action Quake II) to DooM.

(Only my opinion, doesn't have to reflect what everyone else thinks)
To deserve the name "Action (insert name of game here)", a mod have to have (and not have) sertain things.
Most things require programmingskills to do.

1. Not too many weapons just "because you CAN" add them.
If permission is given by the original Action team, I would like to see the same set of weapons as in AQ2.
Be able to reload the weapons. Different ammotype for every weapon.
If you reload a fully loaded weapon you'll loose the ammo you remove from the weapon. Only be albe to carry one special weapon.
(2 pistols, knifes, and special weapon)

2. The ability to kick opponents by jumping very close to them (a must)

3. Locational damage. This will be more than enough tricky to do in DooM, because of the sprites, but is a must, if you ask me.
With this also add bleeding and wounded. You limp if you are hit in the stomache or legs. You have to apply bandage to stop bleeding.
While bandaging you can't attack.

4. Visible weapons on the players. Meaning a special skinformat for the mod. Will also require sertain amount of programmingskill to pull off. This means that there will be one sking for each weapon.
So only one skin will be all angles in as many versions as ther is weapons. (pistol, double pistol, knife, etc, etc.)

5. Some different gameplay rules (like the team match AQ2)

6. With all this and balanced weapondamage + locational damage, we will end up with a mod with as fast gameplay as AQ2.

Remember... this project is called "Scuba Steve's Action Doom!"
Plus, I'd bet money this one will actually get finished. So there's no conflicts at all.

I was actually going to wait to see where Scuba was going with this, because I really enjoy the quality of work he puts out, but as the creator of the old and decrepit Action Doom, there is a little bit of a problem with the name.

There have been several mods made for other games using the Action label, but most of them do not last long. Why? Akimbo Team Productions, the team responsible for AQ2, AHL and the up and coming AUT2k3 are very proud of their product (and copyright) and do not like seeing their name and game ideas spread to other game formats. I was a beta tester for AHL since Beta 3 and created the original Action Doom as more or less one of the first HL model-to-sprite mods for Doom. I had the full go ahead from the A-Team to produce this gimmick of a product that was more or less something to hold people over while we waited for Beta 3 to roll around.

If you check the pictures on the page, you can see some of the older images and how it looked.

Then Cory Whittle turned around to release his Action Doom, and after some discussion he decided to change the name of his mod. Which is a shame, because his Action Doom (aka Immoral Conduct) could have definitely headed in the right steps similar to the Action mods. I had started something of a project in the same vain as Cory's, after seeing how well the EDGE modification worked. A friend of mine jumped on board to help, and we have more or less been waiting for EDGE to put in multiplayer (which hasn't and probably won't happen). So nothing has happened for a long time.

I had posted some stuff a couple months ago about the beastiary, and was starting to get back into sprite editing so I could actually take Action Doom somewhere, but I lost contact with the guy who was doing most of the scripting. So now I have weapons without anything use, but that's alright because it was something to do.

In short, MY Action Doom isn't really around anymore. Because Scuba Steve has a reputation of making quality products, I don't see why there would be a problem with him taking Action Doom to a new and/or different level. Steve, toss me an email at quamosity@netzero.net and we can figure this out in more detail.

Either way, so far, it looks really cool and I can't wait to see what develops.

The official title is Scuba Steve's: Action DooM it always has been written with my name preceeding the title. My name is actually the most important part of the title.

Ghostpilot... um I'm not bringing Action anything to DooM, in fact I had no idea there were action projects for Quake or HL. Scuba Steve's: Action DooM is more than just a glorified Counterstrike, it's a whole new concept.

Scuba Steve said:

The official title is Scuba Steve's: Action DooM it always has been written with my name preceeding the title. My name is actually the most important part of the title.

I had no idea there were action projects for Quake or HL. Scuba Steve's: Action DooM is more than just a glorified Counterstrike, it's a whole new concept.

It doesn't really matter if the name is "Scuba Steve's Action DooM" or "The little rabbits Action DooM".
Because of the label "Action", you will have HUGE expectations to live up to.

If you don't even know what the Action community is, then maybe "Action DooM" is an ill chosen name because of that instead. May I suggest that you to play AQ2 for five minutes and see what it is.

Ghostpilot said:

If you don't even know what the Action cummunity is, then maybe "Action DooM" is an ill chosen name because of that instead. May I suggest that you to play AQ2 for five minutes and see what it is.

Freud slipped up to me and told me that you're a fag.

Anyway, stick to AQ2, CS and whatever else if you want realistic, slowpoke crouchfests. The name won't give rise to any expectations since in general the kind of people who play realism mods/games don't really give a fuck about Doom.

BlackFish said:

Nice......

Now I wonder if I mixed Cdoom into that :P.

No.

Just... no.

And I know you're all in anticipation for mancunet to return, so you may see this glorious goodness. I promise to bring it back up asap.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Freud slipped up to me and told me that you're a fag.

Anyway, stick to AQ2, CS and whatever else if you want realistic, slowpoke crouchfests. The name won't give rise to any expectations since in general the kind of people who play realism mods/games don't really give a fuck about Doom.

Hey, don't be so offensive.
I only voice my oppinion and a small typo slipped in. No need to call me names for that.

To give an answer to your statement:
I don't agree.
I play AQ2 and CS (sometimes) and I still care about DooM.
But since I am a huge fan of AQ2 I made a connection between AQ2 and AD based on the simmilarities in name.
Because of that, at least MY expectations are high.

There is a wordsay:
Don't call your invention a chair, unless you can sit on it.

Scuba Steve said:

Action DooM > Action Quake

I'm not sure how to interpret this.
Either: AD is bigger than AQ.
Or: AD is going to be like AQ.
If that was meant to be a sarcastic remark to my post, I'm afraid it went by me completely without notice, because I didn't understand it.

Anyway, I'm going to follow the progress on your mod with intrest.

Ghostpilot said:

I'm not sure how to interpret this.
Either: AD is bigger than AQ.
Or: AD is going to be like AQ.

Action Doom: bigger, better, badder, and totally bitch-ass compared to those lame copycat action quake crap!

:)

Ghostpilot said:

Hey, don't be so offensive.
I only voice my oppinion and a small typo slipped in. No need to call me names for that.

Don't take me so seriously - I wouldn't, if I were you.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Don't take me so seriously - I wouldn't, if I were you.

You aren't a person to take seriously, got it.
But just in case someone doesn't know this in advance (like me for instance),
wouldn't it be better if you thought at least 5 seconds before posting stupid nonsence like that?
It's not like I'm your enemy now or something like that, but i hate when people make useless offensive posts just for fun.

Even if it was a joke, I don't think you should call a total stranger things like that.These forums would be a better place if people in general cleaned their language a bit and stoped being so damn offensive in their posts.

Scuba Steve said:

When can we expect a list of features or a "To-Do-list"?
I don't care much for visual stuff like screens as long as the gameplay is/will be entertaining and fun.

Heck, I still play old 8-bit games just because the gameplay is good.
And many of those old games are very ugly.

Ghostpilot said:

You aren't a person to take seriously, got it.
But just in case someone doesn't know this in advance (like me for instance),
wouldn't it be better if you thought at least 5 seconds before posting stupid nonsence like that?
It's not like I'm your enemy now or something like that, but i hate when people make useless offensive posts just for fun.

Muahahah, I will not be tamed. To be honest, my amusement is paramount in quite a few areas of my life.

As for playing old games, I said in general. You are not one of those people who's main focus is realism and graphics - if you were, I doubt we'd be talking right now, especially not here.

Mancubus II said:

And I know you're all in anticipation for mancunet to return, so you may see this glorious goodness. I promise to bring it back up asap.

(Insert sentence about Mancunet being down)

Nanami said:

(Insert sentence about Mancunet being down)

I stab you!

MancuNET has experienced something I hoped to never see. There was some serious glitch that occured, which may or may not have been the cause of a fatal hard drive crash. I am hoping that data is still recoverable. We are working on getting it back up and running. As soon as the machine is rebuilt things should be ok again.