Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom Builder One Point Five

Over at CodeImp there's been a new release of that level editor you might have heard of, Doom Builder. Out comes version 1.5 which features a plethora of bug fixes as well as a few welcome additions including undo/redo in the script editor, improved thing filters, the use of the scrollwheel in both 2D and 3D mode and a Strife config file for those of you who may want to make a Strife map. All both of you. So head over there to download it so you can finally start on that overly ambitious project that you'll never ever finish in a million years.

fp! except the strife config doesn't work right right now, can't load the wall textures. codeimp doesn't even have strife so i guess someone else'll have to find out what's wrong (go go gokuma!)

sargebaldy said:

fp! except the strife config doesn't work right right now, can't load the wall textures. codeimp doesn't even have strife so i guess someone else'll have to find out what's wrong (go go gokuma!)

Strife uses a different format for the Texture/Pnames lumps. Anything that tries to read them as Doom format will fail.

I heard there is a wad file with Doom format Strife textures? You can use that as Additional wad file in Doom Builder to read textures from.

Get the Strife editing package here. It contains a strifetx.wad made pretty much entirely by Nightmare (I only added the last about 0.00001% of the textures).

In strfedit.txt there's instructions on using DETH to build a strfedit iwad with it to use for any editor to read (then there's one little entry you want to delete with NWTPro or something). So if you don't want always have to load strifetx.wad.

I dont need no stinking strife support >.<
I want item placement in 3D! @.@
I want room editing and creation in 3D!
I never want to use the 2D drawing board again!!! ;)
PLEEEAAAAAASSSSEEEEE >^_^<
(Thats a Simba and Nala "please" ;) )

So Long, The Werelion!

Cyb said:

...So head over there to download it so you can finally start on that overly ambitious project that you'll never ever finish in a million years.

Are you implying that Doom Builder users never finish their levels!? And that we won't be able to finish them in one million and 1 year!!? I am so disappointed in you, Cyb... hmpf!

Cyb said:

So head over there to download it so you can finally start on that overly ambitious project that you'll never ever finish in a million years.

I actually finished a map with it. But I have to reupload it again. Just watch, I'll show you, you you unbeliever!

no I wasn't implying that doom builder users can't finish maps, it was more of a statement about everyone :P

I want room editing and creation in 3D!

To me, that seems pretty much impossible to do. And if it were somehow implemented, the editing for it would probably be VERY complicated.

If you want to make maps for something with a full 3D editor, try the Cube engine :P

AgentSpork said:

To me, that seems pretty much impossible to do.

Woah, 3D editing. That has never been done before.

Fredrik said:

It has.
Remember 3D Construction Kit from Domark?
Something like that but for doom, that would rock the house ^.^

You start out with a small room, select a wall and the wall properties are shown in the edit bar (aprox 1/3 of the screen).
There you can move the wall around, create a new room adjicant(sp?) the wall or do other fancy stuff with it.
Same goes for floor&ceiling minus the new room option ;)
If you want to create something like a table in a room you just move the mousecourser to the floor, draw your rectangle with left mousebutton pressed, then right click it and select new sector.
Select the new sector with a single left click and then edit it in the edit bar.
When placing objects, you right click on a empty space and select new object.

EDIT: Textures can be selected realtime.
Everything should be doable with just the mouse. Keyboard for shortcuts and moving around.
Creating a new sector in the void you deactivate clipping, move somewhere outside, right click and select new sector.

Get the idea?

So Long, The Werelion!

Epyo said:

Sarcasm should be outlawed on the internet. You see what happens?

A good point... without the tone of voice, it can be easily misinterpreted.

Epyo said:

Sarcasm should be outlawed on the internet.

I don't think it should be outlawed. It might cause some problems, but it's absolutely not a subject that should be covered by law.

Bastet Furry said:

*mumbles*
for what did they invent the emicon?

They invented it for people who can't spell "emoticon" to communicate with :-P

Since I've been able to test the Strife.cfg for Doom Builder in action, I've figured out thing and linedef flags properly except for a few flags I labeled unknown, fixed up some organization of linedef specials(I hadn't realized how Doom Builder categorizes them as it parses), and thing widths are now accurate. I also put in parenthesis next to special NPC's what maps scripts are active for them on and what different Peasants become. The scripts really aren't tied to the maps though. For example if you export script10 from strife1.wad to a pwad and renamed the entry to script02, then map02 would have the scripted stuff that map10 normally has and the NPCs would behave so even though it's still the same actual map.

So now you can easily set the flags on things to make them allied, and/or have one of two different levels of translucence (or just invisible). You can also set lines to be translucent.

So here is the further fixed up strife.cfg (right-click, save as) for Doom Builder.

Also, I noticed a texture bug. I'm using a strife iwad built with doom format textures for editors to read and this one certain texture bigstn01 won't show up in Doom Builder while it's displayed perfectly fine in DETH. It's just a simple single patch 128x128 texture.

So you're implying that there IS a full 3D editor for doom available? Sarcasm is fine when it's used by someone who understands it. :)

AgentSpork said:

To me, that seems pretty much impossible to do. And if it were somehow implemented, the editing for it would probably be VERY complicated.

If you want to make maps for something with a full 3D editor, try the Cube engine :P

I've always wanted to do a 100% 3d editor for doom much like what I did for cube. Yes it can be done, and whats more it would rock to edit with. But among 101 projects... it never got very far.

sargebaldy said:

I don't see the real point in it myself, an overview seems like it would be far faster.

Ever heard of WYSIWYG? ;)
It might be somewhat slower, but you will get better results and even someone who has never seen a command prompt can build a decend level, or is that that what you fear?

So Long, The Werelion!

Yeah but the 3d mode DB has already tackles the main benefit for a WYSIWYG style, and that's really precise texturing and alignment. Actually making new rooms in 3d wouldn't be useful to me at all.

I'm noticing that sector creation seems to have a bug in it, at least when I use it. When I draw a new sector now, it seems to keep both lines in the exact same place rather than overwriting them.

Bastet Furry said:

and even someone who has never seen a command prompt can build a decend level, or is that that what you fear?

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahah

YES IT KEEPS ME AWAKE AT NIGHT

The editors looks promising, but runs too slow on my poor Duron 850 notebook. Also, I haven't yet found out a method of *splitting* & joining sectors.