Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The /newstuff Chronicles #178

Graf Zahl said:

Too bad about Silent Steel. I quickly checked it out with Vavoom (the first time I ran this abomination of a source port for a prolonged period of time) I'm just wondering. What's all that eye candy worth if it's easily the ugliest renderer of all source ports? No matter whether I use software or OpenGL - it just looks awful (especially OpenGL - there are small gaps with white looking through everywhere), it doesn't play well and it doesn't feel right.

Bottom line: A potentially good wad ruined by a poor choice of the engine it uses... :-(

Which really sucks becasue i really like the concept of Vavoom's prog system (the most flexible way to craft a mod with doom to date IMO) I think if the author switched over to Jdoom, the mod would feel the way it was origionally intended.

MasterOFDeath said:

There is a bug in Legacy that makes have to have ALL the files in the same directory(exept pwads). ... Then put a copy(or the wad itself) of your doom iwad in the same directory as Legacy. then you are ready to go! (note:pwads and dehacked patches can be put wherever you want-its the main files you have to worry about.)

Ports that do things like that really are annoying, aren't they :-) Actually, Legacy supports a "-iwad" switch that you can use to tell it where the IWAD is.

The one port, other than Vavoom (q.v.), that doesn't is DoomsDay, so you have to put a copy of the IWAD where DoomsDay wants it or else create a hard link to it. Hard links are easy in Unix/Linux, but in Windows you need XP, NTFS and the FSUtil utility (in Pro, don't know if it exists in Home) -- just run fsutil with no arguments to get a usage message.

Martin Howe said:

Ports that do things like that really are annoying, aren't they :-) Actually, Legacy supports a "-iwad" switch that you can use to tell it where the IWAD is.

In other words, it is a bug in the Launcher, rather than in Legacy itself. The standard command-line method works as normal.

skadoomer said:

Which really sucks becasue i really like the concept of Vavoom's prog system (the most flexible way to craft a mod with doom to date IMO)

The prog system would be even better if it was more modular. As it is now you have to recompile *everything* to make a tiny change. It's really not much different from recompiling a C-source and defeats the purpose of an interpreted game language because if you do it you'll have the same problems as recompiling a C-source brings (most importantly, all features and fixes added in future versions are lost.)

Martin Howe said:

The one port, other than Vavoom (q.v.), that doesn't is DoomsDay, so you have to put a copy of the IWAD where DoomsDay wants it or else create a hard link to it. Hard links are easy in Unix/Linux, but in Windows you need XP, NTFS and the FSUtil utility (in Pro, don't know if it exists in Home) -- just run fsutil with no arguments to get a usage message.

or you can use Hard Link Magic which works with NT, 2000, and XP. I was able to free quite a lot of space on my small hard drive by hard linking iwads. you can get it here:

http://www.hlm.inc.ru/

Sorry about all those problems you guys are having with Silent Steel. At first i was thinking about making it for the Doomsday engine but I wouldnt have the features I really needed, like slopes and scripting. I guess it depends on your computer what glitches you might get. It seems to work 100% for me.

Thanks for the comments on steel!

bryant robinson

He didn't cheat, it was originally posted by Cyb I think.

By the way bryant I really liked what I played of Silent Steel, good job on that.

no it was posted by ling, he just posted it under my name because he was too lazy to format it and wait for me to do it the next morning so he just posted it as is... I formatted it myself the next day anyway and changed the update to be his

I would just like to point out a grave error in this weeks /newstuff;

There is no way Scuba Steve's car is 15 years old. It is clearly at least twenty :P

Grazza said:

In other words, it is a bug in the Launcher, rather than in Legacy itself. The standard command-line method works as normal.

uh oh spaghettios! :D Did I say it was a bug in Legacy? Sorry, I meant to say the launcher. I can be ignorant like that.

deathbringer said:

Please dont let him do the reviews ever again

I welcome any change from a simple description of each wad, and of course I'm all about being unique and bizarre. In fact, when people react like this, it makes me want to make it more extreme.
Maybe next time I find time to review, I'll do it entirely in verbs or something.

OK then, next time I review, I'll do it all in Syllabic Inuktitut words for types of snow. You'll need a special font installed, but I'm sure people will love it.

Grazza said:

OK then, next time I review, I'll do it all in Syllabic Inuktitut words for types of snow. You'll need a special font installed, but I'm sure people will love it.

I can see it now.... This map gets 2 snowballs and a flake. ;)

Nice review system, Scuba.
I managed to get Vavoom & Silent Steel running without problems. Its a pretty nice WAD. Also enjoyed the Rebirth and Somewhat Evil (once I downgraded Legacy to run it right - bleh).

I'm looking forward to more funny review systems. :)

Heaven forbid you ask for help - Did you put the Doom2 Iwad in the Legacy folder?

ACK! I just tried running my wad with the new Legacy version and it doesn't work. It must be incompatible because it worked fine before. And wasn't this reveiw done ages ago anyway?
Oh and btw, your review sucked. See the DEH file? yeah? Well it kind of makes those pits work in a way.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

And wasn't this reveiw done ages ago anyway?

I reviewed your map in T/nC #177, if that's what you mean. I used Legacy 1.41b, and it all worked OK (apart from two doors that the player could end up on the wrong side of, and unable to open).

I suppose it's just rotten luck that you released your map just one day before a new version of Legacy came out that made your map unplayable. It might be worth reuploading it just to make a change in the text-file, unless the changes needed to make it work with 1.42 are simple.

Well I don't know what I'm supposed to do about the problem. The best I can do is re-upload it but I doubt I'll get it to work on the new Legacy. Anyways, I just uploaded it again.

Silent Steel is decent stuff... but Vavoom... Had never tried it, I din't have any problems running the wad, but in map06 my fps dropped to 5! (running on Radeon9800pro) that can't be serious, also there were white lines everywhere, the skybox looked messed up and vavoom's website does not work on Opera browser... Vavoom, you deserve a deflated blowfish!

As for somewhat evil... Nice work ninja!

pagb said:

there were white lines everywhere, the skybox looked messed up

I got this problem - it happens when you load a savegame straight from loading up the port (I was taking screenies as I went along and it crashed every time I used the screen grab). Start a new game first, then load up the save - it should be fine.