Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

On a Rampage

I can't give an opinion because the guy who made the damn thing has a shitty webhost. But I have high hopes. :/ I'm probably going to end up crushed now.

Off topic: Has anyone else noticed Darknation is always in asshole in his posts?

I've been waiting for this to come out for a while just so I could see exactly how horrible it was going to be. The author, Doom Rampage, acts like his maps are the single most wonderful things in all existance. In fact, in his DM map series, he even plasters his face all over the walls, and if you shoot his picture, you die. Talk about a big ego.

Of course, the people on Doom Connector worship him like he were some godly mapper. They obviously wouldn't know a good wad if it were to hit them upside the head.

Bloodskull said:

I thought the day after tomorrow was very good.

Feel free to love the film and build a fan web page :-)
I and our ol' pal have a rather different opinion on the movie. It was all computer FX!
About Doom Rampage: Does anyone remember Kaiser_6.wad? The guy was present there and he said:

Doom Rampage in Kaiser_6 said:

I'm also a godly known zdoom mapper, so die.

:-/ No comments.

I dont care what u say i mean u people havent played Coop for years. All you beeen doing is loading wads off the L@P site. I bet if this TC ran with Zdaemon and was on the L@P site u idiots would be all over it. Come on it has been a wad that had alot of hard work put into 3 years. Dont say it sucks before u even try it. Give it a try if u hate it so be it dont have 100 posts about it here from 1 person. Just because it was a TC that had alot of work into it hell ya its going to take a long time wich means the engine will be out of date. I bet almost none of you ppl posting stuff has never finished or completed a TC like that. Intro scenes new voices. U play deathmatch alot also whats the differenc u are killing marines. Well this is just a great wad i like it so u dont like it thats not my problem. Every map got better as you go through it. Ramp has become a Much better mapper since then so just expect better maps.

ok,i waited to post to hear all the complaining and bitching. three years ago my brother started dre. For all you guys dre isnt a mega wad its a total conversion.Second of all when he started he wasnt very good mapper just learning. as the map goes along in my opion it gets better you can see his mapping skill growing .isnt this what mapping is about? see i believe you guys rushed through it so you could hurry up and bitch.My opion you dont like it delete it.you people are very judgemental,half of you guys have a grudge against my brother for getting kicked or banned off of dc which is sad.....you guys are complaining about the mp3's --please,you mean to tell me you guys dont down load illegal shit ,HAHAHA what a joke i have played alot of maps with songs that dont belong.i believe the music in a game makes the wad . And i'm not very happy the way some of you butched the wad up by taking out the music "isnt this illegal"??he didnt give you guys permission did he ?well,i feel he did a good job and i have more important things to do ,like run a clan .well bro i see alot of people playing dre cant wait for 2.Bro see you do know who your friends are >>>enough said !
{please feel free to pick my response apartlike you pple on forums do :)

Bob said:

Pointless rambling...

Learn to write complete words and comprehensible sentences before psting here!

And if you read carefully: Everybody who is giving this WAD a negative review did actually play some of it so most of your complaint falls flat from the start. As for progression of quality: I didn't like any of the first 6 maps nor did any quick samplings of other maps convince me otherwise. Neither did a look at the maps in an editor. I couldn't see any major change of overall quality at all. It screams n00b from beginning to end - the shitty skybox alone is ample proof for that. No serious mapper would dare to release a map with such a major visual glitch.
Which all could have been excusable if it actually played well. Instead I got one of the most boring and annoying WADs I checked out recently. Fighting through room after room with enemies that take too long to kill combined with near invulnerability (1000 health points can be a lot!) simply can't create good gameplay. I don't know whether it gets better later on but don't expect anyone to play through an entire megawad that starts as badly as this one.

I don't know in which way you are involved in this project but your response suggests you are. Anybody who releases a project of this scale must be prepared for criticism - some justified and some not. Time and effort spent on such a project mean nothing at all if the target audience doesn't like the result. And this is clearly the case here.

Learn to write complete words and comprehensible sentences before psting here!<<<is this a joke hmm ok

btw ,posting hehehe see my point heh

foxxy said:
{please feel free to pick my response apartlike you pple on forums do :)

Ok, here it goes (but let me tell you first that you didn't to yourself and this project any favor with this post!):

ok,i waited to post to hear all the complaining and bitching. three years ago my brother started dre. For all you guys dre isnt a mega wad its a total conversion.

I don't consider this a 'total' conversion. Partial conversion is more accurate because a lot of Doom is still present. But it's also a megawad (Megawad: A release for Doom containing more than 15-18 maps.)

Second of all when he started he wasnt very good mapper just learning. as the map goes along in my opion it gets better you can see his mapping skill growing .isnt this what mapping is about?

So if you know the first maps suck why are they being released at all? If I had a project with 32 maps and knew the first few sucked I wouldn't release them to begin with but instead either rework or replace them. Don't forget that those are the maps that give the first impression of a product and if those suck the whole project is doomed to fail.

see i believe you guys rushed through it so you could hurry up and bitch.

Aside from the IDDQD I did in the train because it was endless torture I normally played through the first 5 levels. If I had found anything I liked I wouldn't criticise here.

My opion you dont like it delete it. you people are very judgemental,half of you guys have a grudge against my brother for getting kicked or banned off of dc which is sad.....

I can't say anything about this because I don't use DC and I don't know anybody involved in this project.

you guys are complaining about the mp3's --please,you mean to tell me you guys dont down load illegal shit ,HAHAHA what a joke i have played alot of maps with songs that dont belong.i believe the music in a game makes the wad . And i'm not very happy the way some of you butched the wad up by taking out the music "isnt this illegal"??

What a retarded attitude! And no, I don't load illegal shit (and if I did I wouldn't use it in a publicly released project! It also means that a simple mail to anybody hosting this file can make it disappear in no time (who likes to be threatened with legal action?)

he didnt give you guys permission did he ?well,i feel he did a good job and i have more important things to do ,like run a clan .well bro i see alot of people playing dre cant wait for 2.Bro see you do know who your friends are >>>enough said !

Good bye. Frankly we don't need people with this attitude here. No wonder this WAD didn't turn out better if you can't take any valid criticism.

foxxy said:

Learn to write complete words and comprehensible sentences before psting here!<<<is this a joke hmm ok

btw ,posting hehehe see my point heh

This quote applies to your incoherent ramblings as well!

Graf Zahl said:

Good bye. Frankly we don't need people with this attitude here. No wonder this WAD didn't turn out better if you can't take any valid criticism.

Now this quote reminds me of good ol Derek Smart. :)

Okay, listen you two:
I apprechiate your brother/friend. He did something a lot of the people around here couldn't do and made a megawad and he deserves respect for that. But if people don't like the megawad then there is really nothing he can do about it but try to improve upon it. Now while some of their comments about him were a little rude and off the mark, I believe most of what you're saying to these people are about DRE itself. Just because people didn't like DRE is no reason to attack them.

Foxxy, tell your brother to get a better webserver. :/

darknation said:

how can anyone spend three years on something and NOT notice that it is a pile of shit similar in stature to king kong's first dump of the day?

Lack of betatesters and a feeling that the wad is already leet.

Nmn said:

DRE is like The Day After Tomorrow. Was supposed to be a really cool movie that people would remember

...it was?

ug, i am attacking no one....this is not my style.
since dre has been out i have been attacked by several people on dc,and i didnt make the wad i am just his sister/beta tester. i am not one for forums i think they are harsh ,but i decided to post not sure why though.
i am sorry to anyone i offened by my post anyone that knows me knows i am not a bad,harsh ,or judgmental.
i feel since dre has come out i have seen more people play zdoom..a port which doesnt get played alot and i hope it dont disapear like cs doom did.
i see alot of people inspired to map coop again,and i see alot of people playing doom isnt this what this comunity about? like i said i am sorry if i offended anyone this is why i dont do forums everything is taken wrong for the most part well i am done posting thank you .........i am off to play the game that brought us together doom..

Ok, I've actually played this a bit, and while I didn't make it past level 4 without skipping from level to level where it got boring (I skipped past a lot of levels), it had one constant and major problem, the monsters you fight are boring as HELL (well, actually, I don't think hell would be boring... wouldn't be hell if it was. In fact I don't really get why this term was ever created in the first place but I really should stop talking in these brackets and get back to the real... er right). It takes way too long to kill these guys, and while some of the weapons are cool, most of them are both impractical and useless. Why bother using the guns when in the first part of the game your fist does the marines in with two attacks? That is untill you get attacked by the OVER powered marines that can kill you in two hits, then you have to use the weapons, and even then you can keep your distance from them and they'll never hit you.

My first sujestion is leave the levels as is. Fix the gfx errors, but leave them as is. Second, make it compatible with NEW versions of zdoom. There is NO EXCUSE to making it for one version, you had enough time to change compatibility but you didn't. Three, go into the monsters hp and cut them down. Bosses and tougher creatures should have a good ammount of hp, but remember to TEST out how long it takes to kill the thing, so you know how much time you're keeping the player in one place. Four, MAKE THE WEAPONS NOT SUCK. Remove the marine guns completely and go though the weapons from almost scratch (heh). Think up better weapons that don't copy every other weapon that has existed. Railgun? WTF. The baron fireball should be a standard weapon, but use up ammo. You should change the shotguns everyone and their monkeys have into soul charges that you can take and expend as fireballs. Be creative! You don't even have to use doom monsters attacks, you can make something up. Remember, there are VERY few creatures in doom that actually use hardware, most use their own physical other worldly abilitys. If you need help with this, you can poll for ideas on the forums, ask people for help, ect.

The story was actually the only real highlight of the wad and was surprisingly good for once (go figure, story better then the rest of the game. Wish that happened more often. ._.; ). Remember, it doesn't matter if it takes three days or three years to make something, if YOU don't take the time to see if it's good (more then just getting your brother or sister to play it for a bit.) then you didn't spend ENOUGH time on it. Take the wad back, look it over for however long it takes and make it good. Make it great. Just don't expect people to love it for time spent. I've lived a LOT of years, and you know what I have to show for it? NOTHING. You at least have SOMETHING to show for it, even if it has a FEW (heh) problems with it.

You you take this as criticisim then good, it is. If I made you cry then even better. Take your wad and make it good. Make ME cry the next time I play it (and from joy, not suicidal tears. ;)! If you give up then you prove to everyone just how bad a level maker you are. It's up to you. Sink or swim. But if you give up, then I'll have to find you and punch you in the head. :)

Oh and I liked the music, but maybe you should have made a seprate downloadable music wad. :)

Scuba Steve said:

...it was?

Yeah, the number of commercials and comments "best movie to come" could simply drive a guy crazy!

foxxy said:

i feel since dre has come out i have seen more people play zdoom..a port which doesnt get played alot and i hope it dont disapear like cs doom did.

ZDoom not played alot? Wtf?

She meant online, over doom connector. The day it was released I saw 4 servers with dre on it and was impressed. While the levels aren't everything, and the horn on the train level is annoying as fuck, I told Doom Rampage I would make a level or two for DRE2 when in production for levels. I'd have to let him know about what you guys thought about the levels and let him know he has to improve on this and that if he wants a better review on the next wad. Hopefully If I'm able to make the level I had in mind, maybe it can help him get a better understanding of what people really wanted to see and not something almost as bad as Sandy Peterson making a rushed map.

foxxy said:

hi yeah long time listener first time caller, i just wanted to ask, are you fucking insane, i'll just hang up and let you answer thanks bye

darknation said:

It's official: Shadowrunner is making levels For Doom Rampage 2. Things can only get dumber.

Things can only get better. My name isn't Shadowrunner anymore dumbass, can you read?

Bloodskull said:

Things can only get better. My name isn't Shadowrunner anymore dumbass, can you read?

Yeah, I meant to ask about that. When you chose your new nick, did you run the Retarded Name Generation script or were you just menstruating?

Why cant some mappers understand that some people will dislike their work? Spending years making something (though admirable) wont automatically make the project a good one.

As for the people up above having a nervous breakdown, keep in mind that just because I and others dont like DRE doesnt mean we dont like the author. I personally dont know him, and probably never will since I dont touch DC.

Okay: First thing... I don't have DRE yet, dialup here... I'll probably have it by tomorrow, when I happen to have access to a T1 connection...

Second thing: DRE uses 47i because of the textures, I'm told... meh, I ditched 47i so long ago...

About the wad: I'm not one for total or partial conversions, but I still will check this out because I believe that ANYTHING, no matter how bad the hype, deserves a look if it took 3 years to make. That said... I do sort of wish the MP3s were left out, not only because I'm on dialup but because I don't listen to much MP3 music, legal or not. But that's me.

Foxxy: The environment of forums really depends. There are all kinds of forums out there... for instance one that's owned by a friend of mine, at which I'm a mod, has only about 50, maybe 75 active members. Thus the rules are more lax and so is the ban system. But when anyone bitches about the rules on that forum, I remind them that places like this exist, and that some of those guys wouldn't last half a day here. But that's the way things are done here, and in a way it's a big relief when there aren't any idiot spammers on your forum. That aside, people here to tend to be very critical of new submissions. BUT... this can be a good thing, because it encourages people to work harder on their next submissions.

Example: I released the demo of my megawad over a year ago, and it was critiqued... somewhat. I'm still not done with the thing, even though I'm not working on it right now, but it looks like it's gonna take the better part of two years. Anyway... back then, I was really n00bish... like Rampage, as you say... BUT, when you're making a megawad, and you come out of it more experienced, you gotta go back and fix what mistakes you made earlier. The early levels of ToW were really lacking in terms of detail, but I've added some, to an extent; you can't TOTALLY fix a n00bish level unless you totally redo it, but leaving it alone is no good. If DRE is as bad as these guys say it is, it may just be because Rampage neglected to go back over it again... of course, I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

I believe Rampage should have gone here to get a couple beta-testers as well, not just on DC. These guys are the hard-hitters, you could say, but that's sometimes the best way to learn things. When I finally finish my wad, I plan to ask here for a couple beta testers as well as on DC... not that I need to, you understand, there are more than enough people in Clan ORB to test it for me. But it's good to get a mix of opinions, not just those who were close to the project (because they'll usually say it rules anyway).

Bloodskull said:

You're shadowrunner!? Well WTF, it would have been nice if you had mentioned that when we were discussing clans and such (that was back when DC was down, on the ST forum I believe). *Shudder*

Whatever people are entitled to their opinions (lol I can't spell).And in my opinion:

28 days later > day after tommorow

captain mancubus > DRE

oh yeah,people are going to be rather criticle over a zdoom megawad,people who use zdoom get spoiled with all the cool shit that comes out.Maybe the sequel should be in some other port...

don't get all butthurt peapoles,well wait do get butthurt it's funny!lol....Your what hurts!?HAha LOLn00bz!!!!!!!1one

[EdIT]me/ slaps self really hard

Hmm.. This is probably one of the funnest wads I've played in a long time.. I can't figure out why everyone's bitching about it. The design is actually good IMO, the gameplay is fun, and there are some clever things such as the first level being like E1M8. I don't get why people don't like this. I'm up to like level 5 or 6.

Demigod said:

oh yeah,people are going to be rather criticle over a zdoom megawad,people who use zdoom get spoiled with all the cool shit that comes out.Maybe the sequel should be in some other port...

I really don't think this has anything to do with zdoom. To be honest, if Doom rampage only had some simple boom effects, and mostly standard doom dehacked... BUT had very good design and was still for Zdoom, people would speak differently. A good wad is a good wad, regardless of port.