Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 3 Done?

I never haved liked planetdoom, another "official doom site" wannabe. And the screen of the box and cd's, meh. I immediately could tell it was a fake. The first thing I noticed was that it wasn't the right type of box, it was actually a case for a PS2 game that had a new cover on it that was made with ripped screenshot graphics and photoshop. And the CD's... bah. Obviously fake(to me at least :P).You all did bring and interestion point about the dvd's, cds are very slowly becoming a little outdated, thanks to new music formats and our friend the dvd, wich consoles have been using for games for ages. If a game is that big, I doub't cd's would be used in the normal package. The "scan" is clearly photoshopped, I can tell by looking at it thats it fake also, like how the space marine looks unusually real(so close that people think its a real person, I don't think even doom3's graphics are THAT good. It actually looks like a real person with screen rips added to me.). Also, notice how both screens have awful quality(even for their format)?

unfortunately, it will be a very long while before the DVD format becomes the sole or even the main format for distribution of software. too many people have computers that lack a DVD drive, and if they're going to have to buy a whole new drive for their computer to play some game they're pretty much not going to bother.

dethtoll said:

unfortunately, it will be a very long while before the DVD format becomes the sole or even the main format for distribution of software. too many people have computers that lack a DVD drive, and if they're going to have to buy a whole new drive for their computer to play some game they're pretty much not going to bother.

Indeed true, a nice point there, but if the rumors I've heard about the special edition and crap are true, DOOM3 MAY just be on DVD and NOT Cd......

DVD drives arent very expensive now-days anyways, so maybe if it DOES just come out on DVD you can sneak and buy (or rob...na, j/k) a DVD drive from somewhere really fast.

:)

Oh well, guess we'll have to wait and see!

Shaviro said:

There goes all my respect for planetdoom.

They banned me for bumping a post a while ago so screw em anyway.

-E

Shaviro said:

There goes all my respect for planetdoom.

What do you expect? Its part of Gamespy ffs.

Endureth said:

They banned me for bumping a post a while ago so screw em anyway.

-E

heh, and don't do it here either.

dethtoll said:

too many people have computers that lack a DVD drive, and if they're going to have to buy a whole new drive for their computer to play some game they're pretty much not going to bother.

True, but considering the hardware requirements of newer games it's safe to say that very soon these computers won't be able to run new games anymore. And new computers come with a DVD drive so I'd say the CD problem will go away rather sooner than later.

dethtoll said:

unfortunately, it will be a very long while before the DVD format becomes the sole or even the main format for distribution of software.

Not in europe, UT2004 and far cry on DVD. 6+ CD installs are retarded.

Szymanski said:

True.

All of this CD crap is beginning to remind me of Floppy Disks all over again - and no, that isnt a good thing.

Szymanski said:

Cd format seems to be the likely choice for the masses because not everybody will have a DVD drive in their computer. Even though DVD seems like the most logical choice in terms of one disc VS six. But honestly are people really that lazy to the point where they don't want to swap 6 cds to just install the bleedin thing? Either way it seems like a DVD version will be a very likely reality. If not upon it's release, then eventually. Is it even confirmed that it will need to occupy the space of 6 cds? I guess it seems likely just by looking at the quality of it.

I really can't stand that font though. It screams "wannabe evil" more than it does "creepy" and the coming soon boxes I see in EB and the like...I don't like that at all but it's not gonna prevent me from buying the game. If they have a DVD version, I'm grabbing that...I just hope they don't be lazy like Epic and actually just whack all 6 CD's into folders on the DVD.

Six CDs is hardly anything new. Baldur's Gate came on five CDs and a sixth for the expansion, and that came out back in 1998.

Wing Commander 4 in '95 was also on six CDs. This was entirely for cinematic sequences and voices, with a very small install size.

God damn it, thats ruined my day, bloody CD scan had me all worked up. >:(

Alwell, the artist sure did a good job though... still no news on that flyer being another false hope part from gamespots rumor control section is there?

NiGHTMARE said:

Six CDs is hardly anything new. Baldur's Gate came on five CDs and a sixth for the expansion, and that came out back in 1998.

Yes, but the case was quite a bit larger than the usual DVD case.

Who has a computer that can run Doom 3 well and doesn't have a drive that can read DVDs? Even my ancient 300MHz laptop came with an internal DVD reader.

I have yet to see a computer, custom made or name brand, since like just before the year 2001, that didnt have some kind of dvd drive, or at least had an optional one. My computer doesn't have one(its a p2 350 mgz, old) but I am getting a new computer soon, and it will have a dvd drive. It's standard, as a matter of fact almost every cd drive nowadays is also a dvd drive, even some of the cheap ones, so unless you have a computer or drives that are total shit, you shouldn't have to worry about whether of not it is a dvd.

I really don't think the scan is fake. IMO I don't see how someone could fake all those standups and displays. First off, they wouldn't have access to pictures of all of them, 2nd, there's a new pic of the marine there and I dare you to explain to me how that can be faked. It's not from the alpha. The quality is too good. The scan is real, very real.

Melfice said:

I really don't think the scan is fake. IMO I don't see how someone could fake all those standups and displays. First off, they wouldn't have access to pictures of all of them, 2nd, there's a new pic of the marine there and I dare you to explain to me how that can be faked. It's not from the alpha. The quality is too good. The scan is real, very real.

Did you even see the scan of the DVD case and the CD's on the desk? :p

Doom Dude said:

CD's?

Zoost said:

What?! I'm not buying any fancy 3 1/2" drive just for doom. My pre-order better damn well come on 5 1/4" floppies or else ID can kiss my money good-bye.

DOOM 3 has slightly lower expectations around it than the second coming of Jesus.

LMAO! That's quite a hilarious thing to say.

This better be real... but I don't have a new computer yet so it really doesn't matter until I get one!

exp(x) said:

Who has a computer that can run Doom 3 well and doesn't have a drive that can read DVDs? Even my ancient 300MHz laptop came with an internal DVD reader.

<raises hand>

I don't have a DVD drive on my computer, I watch all my DVD movies on my TV in the living room, not on my tiny computer screen. I'll upgrade to a DVD drive when a game I want to play only comes on DVD.

-E

Endureth said:

<raises hand>

I don't have a DVD drive on my computer, I watch all my DVD movies on my TV in the living room, not on my tiny computer screen. I'll upgrade to a DVD drive when a game I want to play only comes on DVD.

-E

What about the temptation of burning 4+ gigs of Doom wads and or other stuff on a single disc..... ;)

Doom Dude said:

What? I was talking about the scan from that thing that said "We said it'd be out when its done...It's done!" Not the fake pic of the dvd case and cds. Last I knew a photo wasn't called a scan but apparently that's what people are calling it. :P I got confused. Yeah. The pic of the dvds and case looks convincing but meh the guy who did it should be stabbed in the eye.

Endureth said:

<raises hand>

-E

That's the problem. But unless they can be sure there are enough DVD drives installed games will continue to be released on CDs (and worse, limited bythe number of discs allowed.)