Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

RTC 3057 Hub 1 Ready to Go

I noticed that a lot of Zdoom wads these days change the blue pallete to a lighter blue. It looks nice with most things, but it makes some things look wierd... like cacodemons.

Gremlin said:

Hey, is anyone playing this with a AIW Radeon 9800 pro?

i have that card and i don't got those proplems and those dots are numbers wich are when you are low on health!!!! :)

LorD BaZTArD said:

Ah, Very nice. I just loaded my savegame and read all the logs. Very nice touch with the logs from each perspective, like crew, scientist and cyborgs. I can't wait to see where you take this. Good work :D

Heh, hopefully the story will get a lot more interesting already in Hub2 and beyond.

I'm actually surprised that there's so many positive comments about the story - I'd have expected lots of complaints about spelling and grammatical errors ;-)

I noticed that a lot of Zdoom wads these days change the blue pallete to a lighter blue. It looks nice with most things, but it makes some things look wierd... like cacodemons.

Tell me about it! I had to modify the colour of the plasma rifle's plasma bolts to prevent it from looking like ass (imo it looked like ass before I modified it).

Hey dsm that player sprite you made is awesome, I also like the hand/arm sprites alot too!

dsm said:

I'm actually surprised that there's so many positive comments about the story - I'd have expected lots of complaints about spelling and grammatical errors ;-)

I'm surprised to... but for a different reason... which Shaviro has pointed out on several occasions. Hub 1 begins with the very cliche'd and rehashed story about you being an experimental "supersoldier". Shaviro has said that it starts out very generic and takes off in Hubs 2/3. Right now in the story, you're left with tons of unanswered questions in a seemingly standard plot.

I have full faith that the next two installments will lead to a very interesting story... but I'm concerned that the next few hubs are a long ways away.

I wonder what will be finished first... My Cyberdemon Army megawad or RTC-3057... the only real contributing factor is the fact I'm over half way done and that I am doing it myself, while RTC has a whole team of great mappers/other things.

cyber-menace said:

while RTC has a whole team of great mappers

who?
Nick, Cyb and I? :P
I wouldn't call it a whole team, heh :P

What an incredibly fantastic wad. I just love the story, "flashbacks", and the characters. They seem so real. I must've spent an entire hour reading through the logs. HURRY AND FINISH HUB2! I have to know what significance the chessboard has.

Still your work is extremly impressive. It would take me a huge amount of time to learn to detail so well...

I think I'll try recording some demoes of RTC, but it won't be easy considering how long it takes to finish it.

INCREDIBLE!!

Things I loved about this hub:
* Music.
* The new weapon graphics, and the infinitely better pistol/chaingun sound (this is MUCH better sounding than the crappy base pistol sound).
* The logs - very well written, and added to the atmosphere just like System Shock did. I actually felt kinda sorry for some of the poor victims on that ship.
* The "hallucinations". Freaked me out.
* The computer voice. Nice job.
* RTC-3057's personal log entries. Felt just the way I did.

Thanks for the info on the red dot thing. I figured it was a game thing but couldn't make the connection as to the trigger.

The slowdown worries me though with 3 on the way and all. Perhaps a proc upgrade?

P4B 266
1.8Ghz P4 Northwood OC'ed to 2.1Ghz
512MB PC2100
ATI AIW 9800 pro.

Nice Job on the wad!

This makes Doom, in my opinion, look better than Quake, Quake 2, and possibly even Quake 3. The level design is that good. I'm not even going to ask what the sector counts on these maps are. My maps look like shit compared to these :(

Hub1 is great. I couldn't find anyhting wrong besides the pillar on the personal lift, with the hom, and a couple other homs below some power switches.

AgentSpork said:

I'm not even going to ask what the sector counts on these maps are.

Well I will tell you anyway :P

Overall stats on hub1:

Vertices: 73825
Linedefs: 85842
Sidedefs: 157817
Sectors: 16523
Things: 1458

Gremlin said:

The slowdown worries me though with 3 on the way and all. Perhaps a proc upgrade?

I hope we can nail the slowdown in later versions. Hub 1 didn't suffer any slowdown problems until the last two or three beta versions, so it ought to be possible to eliminate it somehow. I won't promise anything though.

I'll show some novice and ask...Whas 'th diff tween a WAD ana HUB? ;^)

BTW I just updated the driver for my 9800 card. No help really.

Grem

Shaviro said:

Well I will tell you anyway :P

Overall stats on hub1:

Vertices: 73825
Linedefs: 85842
Sidedefs: 157817
Sectors: 16523
Things: 1458

Holy freakin crap...

Gremlin said:

I'll show some novice and ask...Whas 'th diff tween a WAD ana HUB? ;^)

Grem

In normal doom you progress from map to map, with a hub you are free to move between all the maps in the hub.

AgentSpork said:

My maps look like shit compared to these :(

Don't be too hard on yourself, Shav's been doing this for a while!

Man, I'm going to go play this hub again.

But yeah, has work on the next hub already began? Because like Scuba said, the only thing I'm worried about is the time it takes to finish?

The logs and such were only BARELY recognizable as English. :P

SPOILERS?

I have a theory on why the cyborgs were dying seemingly of hallucinations and seizures. That thing that happened to the player right at the end, with the place with the hell nights (vagueness as spoiler-protection!) was happening to unarmed cyborgs, I bet. They were probably being warped out, at least mentally, to some other place where they stood no chance of survival. Maybe a Matrix sort of thing? The cyborgs have the hardware in their heads to support it. The stuff the scientists were unable to explain involving the brain damage caused by the TMC and CSA machinery was probably only partly responsible for the malfunctions, or perhaps was acting as the mechanism by which the cyborgs were finding themselves in places that they weren't really in.

Or maybe the CSA and TMC machinery, in tampering with mysterious forces within the human brain, happens to interact with the "damaged space" created by the UAC translocation experiments? Maybe this causes the demons to come.

Maybe some combination of all of the above.

This thing is hard for me to beat under 40 min. Best time so far is 50 min. First time it only took me 2 hours :p

Relica Religia said:

Man, I'm going to go play this hub again.

But yeah, has work on the next hub already began? Because like Scuba said, the only thing I'm worried about is the time it takes to finish?

Yes. Hub2 level production began about a month ago.

Damn I'm on dial up and this will take me all night to download.

Oh well,judging from the demo it will be worth every secound of it.

It is. If you're willing to take the few hours it'll require of you your first time through, it's really nice.

If you don't have much patience, start the download when you get in bed and it'll be ready for you when you wake. :)

It'll take something like 2½-3½ hours, depending on how good (or bad) your connection is. So it's not too bad really, especially when you consider what you're getting.

Shaviro said:

Yes. Hub2 level production began about a month ago.

Will it be 4 hubs or 5?

MaximusNukeage said:

whats with those letters that appear on the screen when you have low health?

It's a system malfunction. You're a cyborg, after all...