Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Community Chest #2 Released

After an aborted release a few weeks back, the Community Chest #2 project has finally been released. Not much more to say about this, so I'll paste out of the text file:

Following the success of the original Community Chest, Community Chest 2 is a 32 map megawad including levels made by 26 different authors from the Doom Community. Originally announced almost one year ago in December 2003, it is now complete and ready for your enjoyment.

DD_133 said:
Yay for a new wad to abuse and play until it's considered crap.

It's a wad rapist! Arrest him!

Played it. It rocks ;) 23, 24, 32 and 30 are my favorite so far. Maybe the others will work their way to my heart too..

Awesome. I can't wait to play it but that damn biology test coming up...

...hmmmmm... bio vs. Doom

Yay. Surprised they didn't wait until Friday to release it. But that'd probably exclude it from TNC #211..

That's exactly why I uploaded it on Monday in the first place to make sure it gets reviewed.

Heh, Map23 is my map! It still surprises me that I built that map in three mornings...

mystery8 said:

Yay. Surprised they didn't wait until Friday to release it. But that'd probably exclude it from TNC #211..

Well I was sort of hoping for it to pass into my week :p

Scuba Steve said:

Somewhere between Map 24 and Map 32 lies one of the greatest maps ever made for Doom.

Inclusive or exclusive?

Oh whatever you mean Map29 anyway

Why even bother with the filler maps? Why must most megawads repeat Requiem's mistakes? Otherwise a few of the maps are really nice, specifically map32 in all its linedef whoring glory.

Some nice maps, though I am compelled to question how a project of this size can come together so quickly and efficiently when projects like Mordeth have floundered cause of lack of help for years, mostly in the level design department. There's at least four maps in this pack I would consider "Mordeth quality".

Because Gaston doesn't commit to an engine or design work; it's just a constant cycle of reworking... and his computer gets stolen.

Linguica said:

Inclusive or exclusive?

Oh whatever you mean Map29 anyway

Well... I rather meant JUST 24 and 32, not INbetween... but yes, only Map 29 and DWF3 are worthy of the top tier.

JoelMurdoch said:

There's at least four maps in this pack I would consider "Mordeth quality".

Mord should just steal them, no one cares.

JoelMurdoch said:

Some nice maps, though I am compelled to question how a project of this size can come together so quickly and efficiently when projects like Mordeth have floundered cause of lack of help for years, mostly in the level design department. There's at least four maps in this pack I would consider "Mordeth quality".

Because this project was not ambitious. The goal was 'make 32 Boom compatible maps that don't suck too much' and it actually failed at that even since only 26 (I think) maps were made and at least one of them breaks Boom thanks to the segs limit.

Other projects, on the other hand, stem from super ambitious ideas which never get off the ground because the team leader is over his head, doesn't have the required skills to accomplish all of what he wants and thus must depend on other flaky and, in general, unreliable members of the community. Things don't shape up how they want, or they can't get enough help because, face it, there are about three people who can do decent graphics and they're all tired of countless failed projects. On top of that projects with some master vision usually have a team leader who wants to control everything and that just kind of annoys the crap out of people. CC2 had no such vision, so the mappers could roam free and make whatever they wanted.

And then when shit actually does get done it goes very slowly most of the time and in the case of Mordeth it gets reworked because maps he made in 1997 just aren't going to cut it.

Cyb - I've already experienced the whole re-working problem with the megawad I'm trying to at least make a few decent maps for... all that newb crap I made when I first started out won't work in a wad that now uses lots and lots of Zdoom features and actually tries to detail...

/me remembers his CC2 map he didn't finish
Oops. But no one to blame but me, heh. No matter, you'll all get to play it eventually.