Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

The /newstuff Chronicles #216

Why hello there! Here I am again with yet another basket of goodies, depending on how you look at it. We got on the plus side some new and innovative wads from different authors. And we also take a trip back to 94 to take a look at some (by our standards)poor maps. We also got a surprise map pack from Bloodskull, whichturns out to be the only modern DM mappack this week, and upon ourdoorstep we got some Edge weapon sets to spice things up. On withthe show!

• Cdoomv2.05 - Carlos Guariglia
    Source port - n/a - 227k
    A source port based off Marine's Best Friend 2.03. Some pretty neatfeatures of Cdoom include: REAL 3d floors, new cheats, liquid 3dfloors (Water elevator? :O ) and some other stuffage you can findin the text included. The source is also included.

• Commandos!Doom - Snarboo
    Edge 1.28a - Weapons TC - 449k
    Now here's a nice little weapons conversion for Edge. The nameCommandos! Doom is quite appropriate, as you get to wield silentexploded grenade launchers which do a hefty amount of damage toanything nearby, and all sorts of little weapons. You got dualpistols, machine gun, and even the SSG is renovated into a 2 shotreloading right held SSG! Pretty innovative and a good Weaponsconversion for Edge!

• ContaminatedZone - Jason C. Bennett
    Doom.exe - SP - 43k - (img)
    Well here we are, the first of map 1994 wads to come this week, andno, it isn't really good. You got vine walls, doors the size ofhouses and the like. The game starts off with a room like this onein the screenshot above, and you navigate vast hallways, andencounter a lot more of these same rooms, and you got themisaligned textures on both the floor and the walls, and you get tofight off a few imps with a plasma gun and then get tricked intotraps where you are doomed by the literal army of shotgunners. Ifyou don't like the 1994 style wads, save your energy and don't playthis.

• Dave1- David Bruni
    Doom.exe - SP - 38k - (img)
    Hallways that can barely fit you? Check. Health shortage? Check.Attacked by 5 cacos in absolute darkness? Check. The entire levelis made mostly of 1 texture? Check. Fighting off zombies andshotgunners with 2 health and only your fists? God help us. Thatpretty much sums it all up in this 1994 wad. You heard itfirsthand, now play this, and concern it as a bad experiment, or ajokewad, your pick.

• Dcat1 - Jimmya. Davis
    Doom.exe - SP - 10k - (img)
    Another 1994 wad, this one isn't so much fun. Ward off 4 or sodemons with a pistol, then proceed to an absurdly easy battleagainst 2 barons with 10 rockets and so on and so forth. Includeyour sector bleeds, misaligned textures, and you got yourselfDcat1. In my opinion, not a good play.

• Demon'sBattlefield - Cacocacodemon
    Doom2.exe - DM - 511k - (img)
    Well, here's a rare wad this week, a DM wad. What's rarer (Is thateven a word? Doesn't sound like it.) is that this is a hybrid map,meaning you can play both SP and DM on it, but to a limited degreeon SP. DM, you got option based on skill levels, where you can haveno plasma or BFG, or just plasma, or plasma and bfg, or everything+ 2x ammo. And for a 32 map set, it isn't that bad, although thelevels have pretty much the same design throughout the set. Themonsters, are supposed to be there for DM. For who knows why, butaccording to the textfile, they are supposed to 'interfere' withyour DM battle. Sounds like fun. Give this a whirl, some of themaps can be fun in a 1 v 1 game.

• DOOM 1.666 WADS TheGateway ; The Pedestal ; The Great DOOM - Dave
    Doom.exe - SP - 150k - (img) (img)
    Now here's a small collection of doom wads, although stranglytitled, that actually I found to be somewhat enjoyable. Althoughthe wads included here do not at all have any sort of theme ortexture alignment and the such, the gameplay is simplistic and funto play though. At least through my perspective. Although it ispretty damn confusing at times on what to do or where the keycardsare, it did feel like a good wad, excluding the detailing andtexturing. Final summary: Not bad at all, you should give it aplay.

• ImmoralConduct SE - Cory Whittle
    Edge 1.27 - Weapons TC - 2,258k
    Not soon after Commandos! Doom did this little treasure come along.This is quite a marvelous Weapon conversion indeed. First off, youbegin with a little bot helper, and You can not only wield onepistol, but two! Quite the assortment of little weapons also hideon slot #7, some of which include a auto-handgun, revolver, andother little toys for you to kill monsters with. Beware of theshotgun as it packs a considerable punch, with the shrapnel flyingoff walls it can come back to kill you instead! One of the bestfeatures about this is it includes a reloading system with all theweapons, making a SSG fight against enemies a bit more fun, withreloading after every shot! But the fun doesn't end there. Theshells come out of the weapons as you fire them and are left on theground! A good weapons pack and a must play even if you don't haveEdge.

• Hordes ofChaos X - Christopher Emirzian (Udderdude)
    Zdoom - SP - 5,079k - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Well here we are, the (maybe?) last release of Hordes of Chaos,and it's quite a finisher, including all previous 4 Hordes of Chaosand also including a new set of levels to top it all off! This is avery detailed final set, as we can expect nothing less fromUdderdude. It has all the settings you can imagine, a graveyard,hellish caverns, etc etc. The first levels usually start out withgiving you a good assortment of items and weapons, and you wouldneed them if you are playing on a higher difficulty, as it's notcalled Hordes of Chaos without reason! A great level set which keptme interested until the final level, and that is not usual, in mycase. The best part of this is if you haven't played any previousHoC, then now is the time to pick it up!

• Hell's Twisted Influence: The new Nightmare - Andrew "Ninja_of_DooM" Fernie
    Zdoom - SP - 7,006k - (img)(img)
    Well this is a hard gem to find, a dark wad that looks likeTorment and Torture but it really isn't. It's dark, hard, and has agood storyline for one map. And this isn't the only map,Ninja_of_Doom is supposedly going to make sequels to this map alongthe same storyline. First off the problems, 1, I found it hard toreplenish health in this level, especially on UV and NM. Althoughthis isn't necessarily a bad thing, it does take that dangerousstep towards the hard wad section. Next, the wad is dark, andalmost too dark, so you might want to up the gamma if you actuallylike seeing stuff, as the light levels are not very friendly togamma 1 users. I mentioned before about the good storyline, andhere's basically what it is. As from the text it states that theDemons are coming back to invade earth with new Weapons. Soundsinteresting. Another great part of this wad is the detail in it.You can see stained glass and the like, little carpets rolled outhere and there. It really is a work of art, in both gameplay, anddetail. Try it out!

• Motion2 - Owen "Sarge Baldy" Lloyd
    doom.exe - SP - 97k - (img)
    What week can be complete without a joke wad? This one comes fromSargeBaldy, usually a great mapper who releases good maps, now hasre-released a joke map, and it still pulls off some smiles andmaybe a bit more. You start off in a room covered with one texture,but behind you, you see a scrolling wall of a pale blue sky. Enterthe next room, and beware, for the Doomguy stares down at you asyou trek across the pits of peril to open switches and face vastmonsters with your pistol. The great strange fun doesn't end! Agood wad for all you clowns out there.

• Resurrection - Bloodskull
    Skulltag - DM - 1,257k - (img)(img)(img)
    And here we are, presented with the last DM mapset and wad of theweek, and fortunately this is a winner indeed. You got a variedstyle of maps, although the theme mostly stays the same, from adownsized version of NukeDM, an island with a few cool secrets andan unexpected surprise, an arena type map, with a passage outside,along with a BFG secret which is quite hard to get, and finally alarger open area suited for big duels and deathmatches. Good stuff,as it's got good gameplay, good detail, however some of the powerupplacing I found a bit odd, as I believe some soulsphere hidingsecrets shouldn't be revealed with just one switch! Still, it'sgood stuff, and certainly worthy of a download, give it a whirlwith other people if you can, some fun moments do occur.

• Waterwheel - John Bishop
    doom2.exe - SP - 129k -(img)
    I can't really say much about this. This is alot like dave1, whichwas reviewed up there. You got more cramped hallways, ammo ANDhealth shortage, and monsters which you can't hope to beat with amere pistol and 4 shotgun shells. Most of the ground is coveredwith the water flat, due to flooding on the dark side of the moon.But then it is called Waterwheel for a reason, right...

lolz DD sux at html

and the maps all look to sux this week, BURN!

It's good to see Immoral Conduct make it to the archives. I wonder what happened to Cory Whittle anyway...

Edit: The silent grenade explosions in Commandos! Doom are a bug. I forgot to put the code that makes the explosion sound into the Death state, so that's why it's silent. :P

I decided to upload ICD-SE because I was sick of having to get it from 3D Downloads every time I got a new computer. I'm sure nobody else wants to tolerate a download queue, so why not upload it?

In the future I may upload the rest of CW's mods (the Zombies remix/add-on, the DEH version of ICD, and the Quake 3 and Sin weapon sets).

Hell's Twisted Influence has 1.3 MB of map data .. and 11.4 of other stuff. That's just lame :p He should have added more maps.

The map itself was pretty frustrating .. too damn dark, and alot of cramped corridors. Considering you start off with alot less health, it just makes it annoying. Argh!

Edit: I'm going to open a PayPay donation account to help DD_133 buy a new keyboard :P

Motion 2 is actually in the wrong spot, Ty just stuck it in the ports folder by mistake. Though I guess he hasn't moved it back yet.

I demand REVIEW! My wad was not reviewed last week and I see no review this week! HUH!?!

udderdude said:

Hell's Twisted Influence has 1.3 MB of map data .. and 11.4 of other stuff. That's just lame :p

You try adding several new DECORATE monsters to your next project then.;)

Jimi said:

I demand REVIEW! My wad was not reviewed last week and I see no review this week! HUH!?!

What was your wad? o_O

kristus said:

DD_133: Learn how to use the "space" button. :p

It's fine in the article, somehow the forums screwed up the perfectly clean HTML. :p

Ninja_of_DooM said:

You try adding several new DECORATE monsters to your next project then.;)

The total data for all the decorate monsters in HOC X is 2.5 MB. That's hardly pushing it. :B I think the biggest data addition in yours is the MP3 music, though ..

@NoD - You did a great job :) It looks like TNT, it plays and feels like TNT, I even got low on ammo as I do in every TNT part myself :) Great job, a lot of fun (/me must comment on this on my page and link the thing soon!)

Maybe I should talk to you concerning TNT4 if I need some help *hehe* :)

Good map NoD. Splendid work. Bloodskull's map looks pretty good, might check it out. Hordes could be fun judging from description, but I don't have Heretic :/ and weapon mods, oh, and 94 wads. The last one are meh, but ee is pretty good. Fine week.

Tormentor667 said:

@NoD - You did a great job :) It looks like TNT, it plays and feels like TNT, I even got low on ammo as I do in every TNT part myself :) Great job, a lot of fun (/me must comment on this on my page and link the thing soon!)

Maybe I should talk to you concerning TNT4 if I need some help *hehe* :)

Glad to see I wasn't wrong in that assumption. :p

Pfft, there's no point in reviewing the 94 crap. It's all dead and buried levels thats only purpose is to fill up collections.

Perhaps it has come to the point where the number of new Doom 2 wads will dwindle into oblivion, more or less to the benefit of Doom 3 and other new cool games. Kind of sad, but who can stop the circle of life?

Grul said:

Perhaps it has come to the point where the number of new Doom 2 wads will dwindle into oblivion, more or less to the benefit of Doom 3 and other new cool games. Kind of sad, but who can stop the circle of life?

I've done some doom 3 mapping. But I'll never stop making doom 2 wads even if I'm 70 years old and cannot see the screen :P.

Nmn said:

Good map NoD. Splendid work. Bloodskull's map looks pretty good, might check it out. Hordes could be fun judging from description, but I don't have Heretic :/ and weapon mods, oh, and 94 wads. The last one are meh, but ee is pretty good. Fine week.

Wha wha wha!?

I said:

Horders x seems fun but I don't have Heretic :/(comma) [and] weapon mods (are good this week), oh, and (shitty)94 wads. The last ones are meh(the old wads), but ee(everything else) is pretty good. Fine week.

:/

Hell's Twisted Influence is great! Love the ambience. Resurrection was a pretty nice set. I'm surprised Waterwheel wasn't in the archives. That was one of the first custom WADs I played. I'd like to try Hordes of Chaos X, but alas, I don't have Heretic. Looks pretty nice though.

Good reviews this week, thanks.