Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

Doom Movie Progression

Wasn't the reason it took so long for a Doom movie to get made because id didn't like any of the scripts? So why the hell are they letting this crap be done? Ugh. I'm guessing they either gave up/lost creative control over the movie or just don't care anymore.

Even if the movie WAS about demons running over a mars base, im sure this movie would suck anyway. Change the demons to aliens, change mars to planet Galacticus IV, change the marines to boyscouts- it doesn't matter. Whatever idea they use this movie will suck. Doom is not good movie fodder.

Yeah, if anything I'm glad they're butchering the main storyline. I mean, it was pretty clear it'd be crap from the start anyway, so I kind of like the idea of it being impressively crappy. A crappy movie wouldn't do anything to entertain me, but if it becomes a magnificently crappy movie I'll be able to have some good laughs about it and we'll all be able to berate it for years.

dethtoll said:

*hundred hand facepalm*

Are you knocking the Street Fighter movie?!?!

Say what you will about bison... but cammy was hot.

Foofoo said:

Even if the movie WAS about demons running over a mars base, im sure this movie would suck anyway. Change the demons to aliens, change mars to planet Galacticus IV, change the marines to boyscouts- it doesn't matter. Whatever idea they use this movie will suck. Doom is not good movie fodder.

Actually, no. Any retard could make an awesome Doom movie, it wouldn't be that hard. I could install Doom on a 4th grade class' computer, have them play it for 30 minutes (after reading the story in the manuaL) and they'd whip out a genius adaptation because it's just that easy.

sargebaldy said:

A crappy movie wouldn't do anything to entertain me, but if it becomes a magnificently crappy movie I'll be able to have some good laughs about it and we'll all be able to berate it for years.

Exactly!! now lets all pray that the marine's buddy looks at a photo of his girl Sue before he charges the demons and gets cut to ribbons. Or at the end when doomguy is having a fist fight with the cyberdemon because they both ran out of ammo at the same time and decided to deal with this mano-a-mano, doomguy, after getting the piss punched out of him, goes "this ones for JOHNNY!!" BOOM right in the demon snout.

BBG said:

Actually, no. Any retard could make an awesome Doom movie, it wouldn't be that hard. I could install Doom on a 4th grade class' computer, have them play it for 30 minutes (after reading the story in the manuaL) and they'd whip out a genius adaptation because it's just that easy.

hahaha yeaaaaahhhh right, my friend.

So, recapping: The Doom movie still sucks, Nightmare is in denial, and Doomers across the world are pissing in the general direction of Hollywood for fucking this up. Well, I can't say any of that was unexpected.

MORBIDTWATT said:

id software having tweaker use sounds from activisions sound library to make snd fx for doom3..

Erm, what exactly is your point? ID have used sound libraries for every game since Wolfenstein 3D, with the possible exception of Quake 1. Hence the reason you hear Doom sound effects in all kinds of movies and TV shows.

Xenphire said:

Nightmare is in denial

No I'm not in denial, I'm saying if you're going to have reasons for thinking this movie is going to be crap, at least make them genuine and realistic reasons.

The majority of reasons people have presented are either a load of bollocks (e.g. that the main characters will be member of a modern day SWAT team rather than space marines, that the only creatures in it are zombies), or so incredibly anal and nitpicky that by these people's standards, even classics like Star Wars episode 4, Casablanca, Psycho, Citizen Kane, etc are terrible movies.

There have even been contradictory reasons, e.g. "damn it they're using CGI" vs. "why the hell aren't they using CGI?" and "there's gonna be too much talking, not enough action" vs. "we won't sympathize with the characters 'cos there'll be too much action to get to know them".

You have to factor in the positive things, such as:

- Monsters aren't CGI (CGI is great, but it can't make scary monsters)
- Monsters include several Imps, at least one Demon, and a Baron (so not just zombies)
- Chiefly British cast (British actors tending to be more believable, dramatic, hell basically just BETTER than their American counterparts :P)
- They didn't hire someone completely unsuitable to play the "Doom guy".
- Not being filmed in Hollywood
- No love story (the lead male and lead female are brother & sister)
- Can't possibly be worse than the Doom comic & novels

I'm still inclined to think the characters will go through the movie thinking they're fighting mere mutants, and the plot twist will be that the creatures are from Hell itself.

well... it hasnt been made yet. Theres still hope you know.

wait a second... 'Planet Olduvai'; 'Goat'; 'Destroyer'; 'Duke'; 'Dr.Carmack'...

Nope, im wrong. No hope. All fucked to hell. My bad.

mystery8 said:

Wasn't the reason it took so long for a Doom movie to get made because id didn't like any of the scripts? So why the hell are they letting this crap be done? Ugh. I'm guessing they either gave up/lost creative control over the movie or just don't care anymore.

dude im so with u on that..i was sayn to my friends that i bet id doesnt give a f#@k about doom and its community there so rich now..look at doom3 story totally redone-->geh

hey nightmare about the sound heh..i know how sound librarys are used in the corperate jungle the money machine...i was simply bringn up a good point about hype and some..did u u know tweaker got a reward for his sound work lol doom3 sound fx it wasnt great and was nothing new so why the hype?but dont answer let me rant my pain away.... thats all i was sayn for that... my biggest point is that id sold there soul to a green freemason benjammin..and now that there apart of the secret society they can purchase soap bars and it wont hurt there wallet cause they made it "THERE RICH PEOPLE THEY SECRETLY CONTROL US WELL BUY AN ID TITLE NO MATTER WHAT" it hurts.. kill me now... arrgghhh

The only hype for the D3 sound that I remember was from when Trent Reznor was still on board :).

The said, the D3 sound is said to impressive not for individual sound effects, but for the audio code (you know, environmental effects and whatnot).

I bet John Carmack never thought he'd see the day when someone played the role of him in a film.

Anyway, I think they should base the Doom movie on the comic.

zarkyb said:

Anyway, I think they should base the Doom movie on the comic.

Can't be, most scenes would be censored due to brutality.

On the other hand, that would be even better. That piece of shit wouldn't be shown

When this movie comes out and it's a pile of shit, I am going to laugh at you for defending it so many times, Nick.

mystery8 said:

Wasn't the reason it took so long for a Doom movie to get made because id didn't like any of the scripts?

Anyone seen the Freddy vs Jason special features? It took them literally TEN YEARS to finally approve of the 17th script put in front of them, and that movie was a total embarrasment. There are no good writers left in Hollywood, they all stick to the real small independent stuff and avoid the CorporateMovieMachine like the plague. Can't really blame them.

Cyb said:

When this movie comes out and it's a pile of shit, I am going to laugh at you for defending it so many times, Nick.

I'm not defending it, I'm saying that if you're going to hate something to the extent people hate this movie, you should at least have valid reasons to do so.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to hate it, just that the reasons that most people seem to have are either based on lies (either of their own or someone else's making), or are so incredibly nitpicky that they clearly can't like any film ever made.

On a completely unrelated note, I've been reliably informed that the Director's Cut edition of Aliens Vs. Predator kicks all kinds of arse :D.

NiGHTMARE said:

I'm still inclined to think the characters will go through the movie thinking they're fighting mere mutants, and the plot twist will be that the creatures are from Hell itself.

Hey, I was just thinking something along those same lines today, not long after I woke up as a matter of fact. There are a couple of things we all need to keep in mind:

1) While this may be a horrible adaptation of a video game movie, that doesn't necessarily imply that it's going to be a horrible movie period.

2) I'm getting the distinct feeling that not even close to half of the plot for this movie has been revealed to us yet. This little blurb we've all seen could be a way to fool us all into thinking it's what it says and nothing more. Hell, a lot of movie descriptions I've seen on the back of DVDs and whatnot have fooled me in the past. And, as it was already mentioned above, the reason it took so long for the guys at id to finally approve of this movie was because every other script sent to them in the past was horrible, and now they like this one. Don't let Freddy vs. Jason be the epitome of the genre.

Something tells me right now we're only getting the bland sample piece of the whole buffet, if you know what I mean. Besides, even if does turn out to be utter crap, you gotta let your brain rot a little once in a while, the same way it would be kinda stupid to eat only health food your whole life ;)

mystery8 said:

Planet "We pulled the name out of our ass"

Actually, no. "Olduvai", last I checked, had something to do with a prehistoric (i.e. Neanderthal-ish) human civilization. That or my mommy, who's an anthropologist herself, was lying to me all of these years.

Foofoo said:

well... it hasnt been made yet. Theres still hope you know.

wait a second... 'Planet Olduvai'; 'Goat'; 'Destroyer'; 'Duke'; 'Dr.Carmack'...

Nope, im wrong. No hope. All fucked to hell. My bad.

You're an idiot. You say something's going to be horrible just because the names sound funny to you?

REGARDLESS, I'm not taking anyone's side and will have a neutral attitude about it until I actually see it for myself.

Jehar said:

Are you knocking the Street Fighter movie?!?!

Say what you will about bison... but cammy was hot.

i'm reffing street fighter in general, even though i don't care for fighting games.

[edit] in the end, this can't possibly be any worse than alien resurrection. and i still watch that movie because i'm a huge dork.

A bit of advice Dodge and Nick - don't waste your time. Logic and well-reasoned arguments have no place on an Internet forum.

"Olduvai" is a theory about the downfall of industrial society because of overuse of resources in relation to the population¹ named after a gorge in Tanzania².

JoelMurdoch said:

Logic and well-reasoned arguments have no place on an Internet forum.

Well, I'm not sure I'd call "British actors tending to be more believable, dramatic, hell basically just BETTER than their American counterparts :P" a well-reasoned and logical argument, but that's just me.