Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

New Pictures from Doom Movie!!!!

Xanthier said:

And since when didn't soldiers give themselves cheesy names?

It's unrealistic. Callsigns usually come from fuckups. When has either of those soldiers (BEFORE the inception of his/her callsign) "reaped" or "destroyed?" You get a callsign EARLY for your reputation usually during training. You don't go through your first battle performance and then have people go "OMFG DOOD UR A KILEN MASHENE IMA CALL U SUPER KILL GUY"

Cyb said:

Oh man this is gonna suck major ass! Hopefully it will suck in a funny way though, and not in an AvP way where it just sucks and you want your money and time back when it's over.

AvP wasn't that bad, you assmunch :P

Ralphis said:

Unlike everyone else on these boards who are flipping a lid and writing their suicide notes, I'm going to go to the movie and hopefully have a good laugh and probably leave smiling. Lighten up. It doesn't change anything about our game

I agree... wait... I just agreed with Ralphis. *puts in Apocalypse Now*

Personally, I really don't give a shit about this movie and how it relates to Doom. Well, maybe a tiny little skittery one, but not some big toilet bowl-cracking monster grogan.

I mean, it's an action movie built around a minimal plot and a bunch of muscled, meat-head ridiculous, stereotypical gung-ho 1-dimensional characters. It'll feature big guns and things getting shot. It'll have the name Doom in the title but it's not going to feel like the game I've been playing for almost 12 years and regardless of how impressive it looks, it isn't going to come close to the pictures my imagination paints for me.

However, I will go and see it and I hope they produce a couple of hours of real no-brainer but great fun entertainment. Because that's the best a movie like this can ever achieve. It's not going to be a genre setting, world changing movie. It's not going to be Doom as I know it, but hopefully it will be fun.

cycloid said:

so long as it's got explosions i'll be happy :-)

You can't be serious. RE Genesis and Apocalypse were filled with Explosions (especially the latter) and they raped the saga more than anything else (maybe with the exception of the Code:Veronica part)

Enjay said:
I mean, it's an action movie built around a minimal plot and a bunch of muscled, meat-head ridiculous, stereotypical gung-ho 1-dimensional characters. It'll feature big guns and things getting shot.

Wait... isn't DOOM like that already?

It works great as a game.

It works poor as a movie.

I think Urban is a great choice for doomguy. But I thought Kurt Russell would have been good too....although he is a getting a bit old.

Ultraviolet said:

It's unrealistic. Callsigns usually come from fuckups. When has either of those soldiers (BEFORE the inception of his/her callsign) "reaped" or "destroyed?" You get a callsign EARLY for your reputation usually during training. You don't go through your first battle performance and then have people go "OMFG DOOD UR A KILEN MASHENE IMA CALL U SUPER KILL GUY"

I meant in movies.

I don't know why everyone cares so much. We knew from the beginning that if they ever made a Doom movie, it would suck. Big time. And now people are shocked when info confirms what we've known all along? By the way, I happened to like the sets. They were all futuristic, which made me happy. Also, sounds like somebody's jealous about not getting a flashlight attached to his gun. Frankly, I'm glad they do, 'cause it would have been ridiculous to watch them put their gun away, pull out their flashlight, spot an enemy, put the flashlight away, grab the gun, shoot, put the gun back, pull the flashlight out, check to see if enemy is dead, etc.

There's a word for people who form an opinion without first hand experience: "sheep".

geekmarine said:

[...]it would have been ridiculous to watch them put their gun away, pull out their flashlight, spot an enemy, put the flashlight away, grab the gun, shoot, put the gun back, pull the flashlight out, check to see if enemy is dead, etc.

But just imagine the humor potential. It could be like an episode of The Three Stooges!

Xenophon said:

I'm going too, but I'll shit a brick if the movie actually does turn out to be good.

If turning out good is clasified as a well hyped production with many sold tickets prepare Your ass for some pain.

Us, Doom lovers know this will be utter shit, however, look at the masses. Doom is presumed as one of the most gorry games ever realised and people will go to the movies for just that fact. Those swines making this production exactly know that.
"OMG I'm going to see that Doom movie. You know the game that made killing people stuff."

That's why the producers aren't harnesing their asses to follow any parts of the Doom games.
I wouldn't be surprised if I've seen no monsters from Doom in that crap, at least not the way they were made in the game. Just look at the marine designs and compare them with the ones from Doom3. This is movie is so pathetic.

er, I think you know very well what I mean by it being good... :S

I'm certain that the movie will be crap in quality.

Ok, so if it is from Europe, which is a step up in my opinion, then we'll we can probably expect something along the lines of Underworld I would hope. Which is basically, Europe, taking on the American marketing style, but adding an extra layer of depth to it, that you may not often get in most American films.

Then again, it may just suck, and turn out to have no Demons, no H. P. Lovecraft type of apocolyptic DOOM that no one survives, which is just half the fun!
So without it, it will only be half the movie it could have been. They probably want to alter it to a Virus out break, in order to try to "market" it to what they decide is "today's" mentality.

In the light of Hellboy (which was also filmed in eastern Europe) and several other recentish movies which involved Hell, why would they think they need to remove all references to the place in order to appeal to a modern market?

Oh....God....No....

It's like, mission impossible and resident evil mixed together.

If I see a single 'newbie' this movie has no chance of being remotely ok.

(and the producers should then have a hive of locusts spontaneously spawn inside of their gut.)

DD_133 said:

Oh....God....No....

It's like, mission impossible and resident evil mixed together.

But only the worst parts of both. Anyone raise his hands if he doesn't think that this will become a huge disaster.

NiGHTMARE said:

XDelusion said:

Burn hollywood burn. ;)

This movie wasn't filmed in America, most of the cast are British, and the majority of the crew are European. That does not a Hollywood movie make.

nobody ever said the guy knew what he was talking about.

For the record for all you smartasses, "hollywood" is a reference to the style of stereotypical formulas used in movies, saying a movie is "hollywood" does not literally mean it was produced in that part of California. Brilliant way to discredit and sidetrack though, I must say

NiGHTMARE said:

There's a word for people who form an opinion without first hand experience: "sheep".

Then I'm quite proud to be a sheep, along with albert einstien, Newton, and everyone who has ever used prior experience, thought, prediction and hypothesis.

I dont have to have "first hand experience" with EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN FAILURE of mindless summer action movies (based on videogames, no less) to know this will suck. Whoevers paying you to defend this probabaly charges extra for common sense i guess.

Its gonna be a terrible movie, i mean, just look at some of those sets... its like nothing ive ever seen in a horror action movie before!

Its just an advertisement for doom3 which was so linear it might as well have been a movie.

Nmn said:
It works great as a game.

It works poor as a movie.

It works well both ways... what might well apparently make this movie shit from what we know is not that it's a "mindless" action movie, but all the crappy plot inserted amid the violence to attempt to make what should be a hardcore bloodfest into something pretentiously bland.

The screenies look like scenes out of the first Resident Evil. Replace "huge underground mansion lab" with "space station on planet X", and replace "viral infected creatures" with "planet X space aliens", replace "STARS team" with "Marines" and entitle it Doom. The original game had no real storyline to begin with, so the movie is destined to be a mindless sci-fi/horror/action movie with "witty" one liners and non existant character development.

What more do you really expect out of this? I don't think it will be a very good movie, but I don't think it will be utter shit. I'll go into that theatre fuckin baked outta my tree with no expectations at all. It's only a movie. As long as it doesn't join the ranks of Super Mario Bros & Double Dragon, I'll be happy.

As for it being filmed in Europe, it's dirt fucking cheap. The governator was bitching about movies shot up in Canada because it's alot cheaper. He said he'd keep these runaway productions from leaving Hollywood. It's impossible. A movie that would cost 65million in Hollywood can cost maybe half that when shot in Romania or Prague.
There's alot less room for financial failiure.

NiGHTMARE said:

There's two words for people who keep protecting a movie and denying facts about it that're true and calling them rumors, until too many movie neww sites claim it to be true and repeat the said news until you can't deny it anymore, and whining everytime someone says something negative about it, such as that it'll suck (which it will, from a Doom player's perspective): Hopeless Fanboy.

Wobbo said:

For the record for all you smartasses, "hollywood" is a reference to the style of stereotypical formulas used in movies, saying a movie is "hollywood" does not literally mean it was produced in that part of California.

Uh, no it isn't, and yes it does. If that were true, we'd have countless non-Hollywood Hollywood movies, which quite clearly is a bunch of nonsense. The correct phrase for what you describe is "Hollywood-ish".

Then I'm quite proud to be a sheep, along with albert einstien, Newton, and everyone who has ever used prior experience, thought, prediction and hypothesis.

All those guys quite clearly did have first hand experience. They couldn't have come up with complex mathematical calculations based on a bunch of rumours and someone else's half-remembered experiences.

In fact, what's the most famous thing about Newton? The apple falling on his head. I would most certainly call that first hand experience, I'm afraid.