Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

The /newstuff Chronicles #293

It was the dark time for the Doom empire. It had been weeks since there had been any /newstuff at all. And then, suddenly, two forces joined together to make the most badass /newstuff review week ever...

Yep that's right. Dean and I decided that we were going to do something a little different this week. We're tackling the maps two at a time, and you know what that means...if your map was terrible, you're in TWICE as deep trouble this time. Get ready...

• The Cacodemon Factory - Walter "Daimon" Confalonieri
    Skulltag - SP/DM - 375 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    AlexMax: OK, so the Cacodemon Factory...it was merely a meh map for me. It's probably one of the lesser offensive Skulltag SP map I've played, in that it didn't take more than about 10 minutes to complete and didn't confuse me too much. That said...it wasn't that great.
    deathz0r: It pissed me off because the scripts were horrible and obviously not tested properly.
    AlexMax: Yeah...see I don't know much about ZDoom scripting, and everything worked for me, though there were some amateurish mistakes like not freezing the player during the one cutscene.
    deathz0r: That's an obvious mistake. A less obvious mistake are the thing count checker scripts that are obviously flawed. I'd bet that if I bothered to open this map in Doom Builder, I'd most likely see that the dark imps near those teleporter doors used standard ACS execute scripts instead of always execute, which, for thing count checking is horrible if you're killing them with weapons like a SSG or BFG. As a result, the door won't open properly and I swear that happened to me the first time. Fortunately daimon had a failsafe switch nearby, but that's a poorass excuse to cover terrible scripting.
    AlexMax: Pretty much...still I've seen much worse abuses of ZDoom and Skulltag. The gameplay itself was rather easy due to the regeneration rune you get early in the map, the overabundance of ammo. I got confused once or twice on where I should be going, and it would have been nice to have a "cacos killed" meter like in Metroid II.
    deathz0r: Yeah, the level itself wasn't that bad though. It wasn't terribly challenging and I thought the regeneration rune was an interesting idea. I think an explanation of what switches do or where the hell you're meant to go would be a great benefit.

• Dark Installation - Nick "DD_133" McCarthy
    ZDoom - Solo Play - 258 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    AlexMax: First off, I feel really dumb for not getting the switch puzzle in the first part of the level. I won't spoil it, but it's not quite as it seems at first, and it took me a while to catch on.
    deathz0r: Well, I was fortunate enough to pick the right options in that puzzle the first time, so I didn't bitch and moan about it for five minutes like you did!
    AlexMax: Shut up. Anyway, other than that little snafu, this is a really short and sweet map. The only real visual niggle I could pick out was the fact that he never unpegged his DOORTRAKs, but as I said, only a minor niggle.
    deathz0r: There's also some really bad cases of texture unalignment, especially with the SUPPORT2 textures.
    AlexMax: Meh, whatever, that texture is a bitch to align anyway, so when I see it in maps, I kind of ignore how it's aligned. Overall, I'm impressed. It's not too long, but I don't like huge Deus Vult-esque megamaps anyway. I appreciate the fact that he implemented difficulty levels too, plus autosaves.
    deathz0r: Admittedly, I wasn't expecting much when I walked into the first room because the layout seemed flat and uninspiring at first, but turned out to be a lot more interesting when it progressed, especially the transparent hellish-force fields. Also, the was that puzzle that I aced straight away by pure chance. I'd definitely like to see more SP maps from everybody's favourite "I'M GOING TO CLEANSE THE WORLD" nutcase.
    AlexMax: Heh, DD is probably going to be PISSED when he reads this review...

• Ectopia - Oculus Orbis
    GZDoom - Solo Play - 696 KB - (img) (img) (img)
    AlexMax: This map is really fucking dark. And not in a good way. Even the suggested lights.wad doesn't make it much better.
    deathz0r: I disagree. I use gamma 1.0 in ZDoom and I had little trouble navigating around the map, you must be blind or stupid.
    AlexMax: Well, playing it the "intended " way using GZDoom and lights.wad, it was dark as fuck. But really, the darkness was the least of this maps problems.
    deathz0r: I agree, the amount of health was dreadful. I wasn't particularly fond of respawning numerous times because I only encountered one stimpack that I can recall.
    AlexMax: For the amount of acid in this map, the lack of health was a real bummer. Also, towards the end, the ammo supply dwindled as well. Playing this map for me was an exercise in frustration. Balls now has competition for my 'most hated map that I bothered to review'.
    deathz0r: "Most hated"? Surely you're over exaggerating a bit there. What about the stuff you throw into THE GODDAMN SHITHOUSE?
    AlexMax: The GODDAMN SHITHOUSE is for maps where the authors have clearly put in zero amount of effort into the map or are retarded beyond the point of me caring. When authors clearly spend the time on the map, I want to let the authors know exactly why their map pissed me off.
    deathz0r: Ah, that is a good point I guess. Still, this map would have worked if I came across at least two medikits by the time I entered the first teleporter.
    AlexMax: I just plain didn't care for it, period. After this I never want to see an acid heavy map ever again.
    deathz0r: Actually, one of my first CTF map ideas was to make something completely underwater...
    AlexMax: And I would have hated it. Next...

• Forlorn - Owen "Sarge Baldy" Lloyd
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 398 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    deathz0r: Wow, this is one hell of a challenging level to play through. I had to think up of strategies on the spot in order to survive, and that's from the second battle!Yeah, this is one of those classic "measure every shot and keep the amount you get hit to a minimum" maps. Like something out of one of those classical megawads for vanilla Doom.
    deathz0r: Like Scythe for instance?
    AlexMax: Yeah, in other words beyond my skill to complete, I said "oh fuck you" after the last trap at the red key, and from that point on it only got worse. But this map fits the role, it looks just detailed enough to fit in the 'old school hardass map' class of maps.
    deathz0r: I wasn't really paying attention to detail. I guess that's partially thanks to the intense gameplay, and also thanks to the rather dark lighting throughout the majority of the level. But I found it quite enjoyable, but then again I did make it through in the end. I suggest using saves throughout the map
    AlexMax: I did save. Still hard as hell. If you want a one-off challenging map, I highly recommend this map. If your skill is not enough like mine, download it anyway and cry bitterly.
    deathz0r: Totally worth playing through once.

• Gamarra's story: Part VI "On Phobos" - Giulio Galassi
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 46 KB
    AlexMax: So yeah, for some reason Giulio Galassi continues to make maps.
    deathz0r: I can't begin to understand why he finds these amusing.
    AlexMax: I have a better idea. Let's talk about how who we dislike most in #unidoom.
    deathz0r: No way! Do you know what the best part about this map was?
    AlexMax: The MSPaint title screen, which would have been sorta funny on a jokewad?
    deathz0r: Nope. It's "hell". I found that so area damn amusing. See, I can tell my grandchildren how I survived hell. They'd be like "oh grandfather Dean, how did you ever so survive such horrors?", and I'd go "with a chainsaw in a badly hidden secret of hell. I could make it into a novel and sell millions.
    AlexMax: You write novels?
    deathz0r: No, but I can imagine the title of it. "Hell: As portrayed by Giulio Galassi"
    AlexMax: Sounds like a painting to me.
    deathz0r: It'd involve a hallway with bends, lava, stone walls, and a chainsaw hidden behind a small patch brimstone.
    AlexMax: Whatever...

• Gamarra's story: Part VII "Gamarra for president" - Giulio Galassi
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 66 KB
    AlexMax: Want to know a secret? I played this map a total of ten seconds.
    deathz0r: Really? I haven't even looked at it yet! Is it worth playing?
    AlexMax: Not really. Big, boxy, and boring as hell. Shithouse quality, just like the last one.
    deathz0r: Good, I'll take your word and delete it without any thought of regret.
    AlexMax: Sweet.

• Hellcore 2.0 - Devon "Darkfyre" West & Robert "Fusion" Babor
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 11252 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    deathz0r: I don't like it.
    AlexMax: ...
    deathz0r: While you will most likely agree with me that it's beautifully detailed and is very large, I do not enjoy searching for weapons. It gives me a major headache and I automatically dislike maps that give me headaches.
    AlexMax: Yeah these maps are really freakishly huge and detailed. Though they do convey their mood very very well, it just reminded me of Eternal Doom, and not in a good way.
    deathz0r: First level for instance, there's a blue key which is protected by five or so barons in an area of crates. There's no way you could survive it unless you found the shotgun, which is hidden in a goddamn secret. A secret that isn't obvious, I must add.
    AlexMax: Yeah, but you know, I don't think these maps were really made for Doomers like you and me. I think these maps are for those who enjoyed , again, Eternal Doom and wanted more humongous levels to explore.
    deathz0r: Probably. When I play Doom, I expect to kill shit. That's the point of a First Person Shooter, right?
    AlexMax: Yeah, I got lost, and I had to idclev my way around the mapset to take the screenshots I did, but this is the kind of project I can appreciate while not actually particularly like.
    deathz0r: This is better suited as a modification for an adventure game, not a first person shooter. To me, it doesn't mix well with the Doom environment.
    AlexMax: Well, in Hellcore's defense, it does get really hard towards the end. Rest assured it got more exciting the further in you went.
    deathz0r: I didn't bother checking it out; searching for weapons in large barren places made me crazy.
    AlexMax: Also, I found problems with its supposed "Boom compatibility". It's clear they tested it in ZDoom, because I ran into a problem on map03 while playing it in Eternity. The first door won't open. Now, in Hellcore's defense, the readme recommends playing in ZDoom, but may I remind the audience that ZDoom is not Boom compatible in and of itself.
    deathz0r: Congratulations, that's almost worthy of a "DOES NOT WORK IN INTENDED SOURCE PORT", Almost.
    AlexMax: So really, what was the point of making it Boom compatible when you only test in ZDoom.
    deathz0r: Laziness, I say.
    AlexMax: So yeah, my final verdict is that it's pretty ambitious, and if you like spending a 20-30 minutes on a single map exploring it, you might dig it. Personally, I didn't care for it.
    deathz0r: I don't like headaches. This gave me one.

• MO AND MATT'S ECLECTIC MIX OF MUSIC - MOHAMMED AZIZUDDIN AND MATTHEW JUHASCIK
    doom2.exe - n/a - 115 KB
    AlexMax: So yeah, it's just Mortal Kombat music for Doom. Nothing more.
    deathz0r: Nothing less!
    AlexMax: Also, the text file and idgames description annoys the hell out of me.
    deathz0r: why?
    AlexMax: Did you even read it dean? All caps? Oh-so-clever attempts at making light of the fact that they just took a bunch of MIDIs from some website and stuck it in a wad? Also they list real bugs under "Bugs". Oh you're so clever.
    deathz0r: Am I reading the same text file as you? I don't see any improper usage of caps or bugs.
    AlexMax: For some reason, the idgames description and text file are different
    deathz0r: That's... odd, it mentions a different filename in the text file.
    AlexMax: *shrug* Whatever.
    (note: this has been fixed in the meantime)

• Ninja Duel - Nick Anderson, aka Electronic Samurai
    ZDoom - Deathmatch - 2419 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    AlexMax: This was fun as hell.
    deathz0r: Shit yeah! All of those ninja weapons were cool as hell. It makes melee in Doom a shitload more interesting.
    AlexMax: It's not balanced in the least, but it sure as hell was fun. I totally nailed you with the bow, by the way.
    deathz0r: Not before I sliced your head with a katana!
    AlexMax: Oh really? UD CHALLENGES YOU!!!
    deathz0r: Heh. Still, the map itself was basic at best, but it's completely suitable for this weapons mod. Thumbs up from me.
    AlexMax: The map was too dark for me, but I always think maps are dark.
    deathz0r: Maybe you should buy some new glasses.
    AlexMax: Die in a fire. Also, the one problem with this isn't really a problem with the mod, but with Doom. About half the weapons are melee, and honestly, the marine moves too damn fast to be hit consistently with the melee attacks, which is a shame. If there is a way to slow down the player speed, that might have made it perfect.
    deathz0r: I don't believe you're meant to be hit constantly with melee attacks. I think this requires some sort of skill that we have yet to comprehend to our advantage.
    AlexMax: Heh. Anyway, a thumbs up from me.

• Noob Project Part 2- Courtyard dash - Lupinx-ressurected
    ZDoom - Solo Play - 42 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    deathz0r: A quick, relatively easy map by lupinx-ressurected.
    AlexMax: The guy has got potential, I'll give him that. The only thing that kind of pissed me off were the invisible imps, and they were merely only pesky and annoying. Also, the map ended with some class, so brownie points for that.
    deathz0r: I really liked the hell area. I thought it was well done, despite the rest of the map being basic in detail and difficulty.
    AlexMax: But seriously, why did this need to be a ZDoom map again?
    deathz0r: Two reasons: Jumping and stealth imps. They're the two things you can't live without.
    AlexMax: I hate you.
    deathz0r: Let's reproduce!

• Scars of the Wounded Prey - James "Phobus" Cresswell
    ZDoom - Solo Play - 356 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    deathz0r: If you're going to have inescapable nukage pits, make sure the sector lines are either impassible or the sector itself damages the player. And yes, I got curious and jumped off to the side at the start of the map.
    AlexMax: Well, the map itself....it's not bad I don't think.
    deathz0r: It's not bad at all. Great quick fun, but it feels predictable in a way. Kill monsters, something happens, kill more monsters, something else happens etc
    AlexMax: Which is, in all fairness, what Doom maps usually consist of. But I agree, nothing really stood out at me, it felt like another token ZDoom map. Not really ambitious. Still, I'd recommend a download
    deathz0r: Yeah, but there's other quality stuff to download this week.

• Phocas Island 2 - Chopkinsca
    GZDoom - Solo Play - 6947 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    deathz0r: Phocas Island 2...
    AlexMax: Well, I knew from the first couple of minutes that this was...different.
    deathz0r: Completely different to anything else I've played. Lost on a stranded island? Sounds like a cool idea to me!
    AlexMax: I'll be the first to admit, I didn't finish this map. It's very time consuming to play, even with the hint file. But boy oh boy, I liked what I played of it.
    deathz0r: I guess I'm second to admit to not finishing this map! That was when I had to go do other things on Tuesday, but I did thoroughly enjoy the twenty minutes I played.,
    AlexMax: It's probably one of the only 'adventurous' style maps that I actually enjoyed playing. And to boot, it used GZDoom in a way that wasn't painful on the eyes, which I really appreciated.
    deathz0r: Yeah, I really liked the use of 3D floors and other snazzy things. Dare I say it's the first GZDoom map I've played that actually put GZDoom features into good use?
    AlexMax: Nothing felt forced or tacky. Not to mention that the actual puzzles themselves were almost zelda-like...the solution may not be obvious but if you take your time and observe, you're OK.
    deathz0r: Yeah, I really liked the new twists added to the Doom engine, such as the journal entries.
    AlexMax: A hearty recommendation from myself.
    deathz0r: Seconded.
    AlexMax: Thirded. Oh wait...

• Run And Shoot - Hannes Müller
    ZDoom - Solo Play - 135 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    deathz0r: ACTION MOVIES, BIG EXPLOSIONS, 80'S HAIRSTYLES! This WAD represents at least two of these at the very beginning.
    AlexMax: Yeah, the opening of the map was a little dramatic, to say the least.
    deathz0r: Dramatic? I thought it was ACTION-PACKED! Funny story, I was going to make something similar for Duke3D way back in 1999. Part of a three map-episode thing. Never finished it, but I thought it was a cool idea at the time.
    AlexMax: Heh. Once you get past that though, I actually had a lot of fun playing the map. It is by no means difficult...at all...namely because there is no semblance of weapon or ammo moderation. So it was pretty easy.
    deathz0r: Oh yeah, ammo is in abundance, but so are the monsters.
    AlexMax: Near the end, yes, but its still reasonably easy. However, I feel just from looking at the way this author maps that he has potential. His architecture reminded me of early id maps...you know?
    deathz0r: I agree. I thought this was a fun blast to play through, and the detail felt very id Software-ish.
    AlexMax: He seems to have a knack of creating that sort of 'do more with less' thing that early id maps had...and I really encourage this mapper to continue mapping. However, he needs to figure a few things out about not giving the player a machine-gun to swat a fly. You know...weapon and monster balance.
    deathz0r: Interesting analogy there.
    AlexMax: My analogies rock.
    deathz0r: But yes, the basic point stands.

• Scimitar - Cycloid
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 1968 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    deathz0r: This WAD brilliantly shows what is capable with the Boom engine.
    AlexMax: Simply put, Scimitar rules. You might have seen me gripe many times about the use of the ZDoom engine in certain WADs. This mapset perfectly demonstrates why I'm so picky about such things, because this is a really nice mapset that demonstrates what can be done with such an old bag of tricks.
    deathz0r: I really admire the new monsters as well, and the interesting end boss. But what really interests me is that it displays messages at the start of the orb collecting maps, something which I have never seen before in any Boom map I can think of.
    AlexMax: Yeah, I noticed that. Personally, I was a fan of the scimitar weapon itself too. But what really did it for me, though, was the bite sized levels. They were perfect for people who get bored quickly, because while they sometimes pack a challenge (especially towards the end), they end really quickly. Speedrunners take note, I'd love to see some UV-MAX or UV Speed runs done on these.
    deathz0r: Yeah, I admire small levels, especially if they use monsters at strategic locations. This WAD set does both. I'm going to say WAD of the Week. I doubt anything else that is left to review will even come close to taking advantage of the advanced Doom engines like this. Phocos Island 2 does come close, but this genuinely surprised me.
    AlexMax: Pick of the week, by far.

• Weirdo Bizarre, or: An Acid Trip Through Time - Wills
    ZDoom - Solo Play - 980 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    AlexMax: This is yet another example of why I'm not a fan of most jokewads. Simply put, the humor in this mapset is very hit or miss.
    deathz0r: Hrm...I don't know, I wasn't getting much of a laugh out of it. Maybe you're right with this one.
    AlexMax: The E1M1 lookalike was kind of funny until the author ran it into the ground. The switch was funny too.
    deathz0r: Oh yeah, there were definitely some hits.
    AlexMax: And I got a chuckle out of the metal man. And the aha sketchy map would have been funny if it wasn't so damn lazily made.
    deathz0r: And the redux of one of the levels from The Archives Are Doomed got a good laugh from me, but that's because I knew about the map.
    AlexMax: Yeah, I remember that one. But honestly, this is just another jokewad on the big pile of jokewads that are simply not that funny. At least it doesnt try to have a 'storyline'. I'd give this a pass. Play Mock 2 for the millionth time if you need a good chuckle.
    deathz0r: Or (This shameless plug of do-tims has been intentionally left blank)
    AlexMax: Totally.

AlexMax: Oh yeah, there are a few extra things that came in this week.
deathz0r: Such as?
AlexMax: There's a fix for Batman Doom running in doom2.exe
deathz0r: Awesome, another reason not to use Chocolate Doom!
AlexMax: Heh. Speaking of which, fraggle submitted a batch file that he used to use for launching doom. Only thing I have to say about that is EFFORT.
deathz0r: It looks like a very simple but powerful command line launcher.
AlexMax: It's a batch file, dude.
deathz0r: Anything else?
AlexMax: Nope, that looks like that's the last of it.
deathz0r: Well, I'm going to go and masturbate to Power Gir--I mean working fervently on that awesome thing called Odamex that people keep talking about.
AlexMax: Good riddance. Well, that's all for this week, folks. Tune in next time when...
deathz0r: Screw you, I'm blocking your ass on AIM now.
AlexMax: Jerk.
*** "deathz0r" signed off
AlexMax: ... So lonely ...

sargebaldy said:
I actually kind of like the format this week.

Yeah, it's not bad; it seems to work. And they reminded me of these two guys.

This is also what I've thought :) It's very enjoyable to read such a newstuff, very funny and also informative :) I hope we will get such a format more often now :)

From the text file:

"Advanced engine needed: ZDoom, GZDoom (May work in other BOOM ports as they become more 'forgiving')"

That is all. :D

Hoo-ray, thanks for the review! Also, Ninja Duel will be pretty damn fun when it gets to an updated zdoom-based MP port. :D

Very nice newstuff (and a fairly positive review for me too **)

I must say the style here is actually some of the most informative I've ever seen (shows Dethz0r doesn't just tell people they're shit, which is good for all the people that whine about newstuffs :P)

I have to ask, did either of you have a crack at UV on my map?

Forlorn seems like a pointless re-release.

Apparently it's somewhat buggy, and the words that I've used to describe the ammo situation in the DAC version are still true.

Phobus said:

I have to ask, did either of you have a crack at UV on my map?

I always play every map in UV. I'm too much of a man to swallow my pride and go lower.

wow, splendid newstuff this week. well worth the wait. gj guys.

heh, your description of hellcore 2.0 sounds right up my alley. gonna go check that out.

Darkfyre said:

"Advanced engine needed: ZDoom, GZDoom (May work in other BOOM ports as they become more 'forgiving')"

Yeah I don't know about that, it sounds as if you're saying it's the fault of the ports that your wad doesn't work. I'm sure you didn't mean to give that impression but there it is :) I wrote this crappy review if you care about some nerd's poorly-expressed opinion.

RjY said:

It must be laziness, if these authors have been mapping since 1995 it can't be ignorance.

Indeed, seeing how I had pointed out most if not all the issues that you have mentioned during testing. I also called the gameplay utter crap in the same e-mail (which spawned that funny post about 'constructive criticism' from Darkfyre), but I doubt that could have been a reason to ignore the rest of it :P

On the absolute contrary RjY... I spent a week of nights at work trying to get it working in all ports, and it just wasn't happening. So I cut my losses and made it for ZDoom, but because it doesn't use any ZDoom effects other ports may eventually run it. But one line of text was plenty more preferable than all that dont'cha think? :)

Belial, I take no input from dinks. I like the gameplay, you were the only beta tester that whined about it, I made the wad for me, not you, if you don't like quiet levels or tons of monsters, don't play it, the point was made especially in the Newstuff review!

Darkfyre said:

Belial, I take no input from dinks.

Or is that, I take no input from people who don't agree with me?

No, that's Dinks. Otherwise I'd be complaining about the reviewers, or the 50% of people that didn't like the gameplay either.

Well, I am sorry to say but you apparently had the wrong testers then. Hellcore's gameplay is utter shit. Sorry to be that harsh but many of the levels totally wasted their great design with something I wouldn't even begin to call 'gameplay'.

Let's see:

MAP01: Most of the level is empty. The first serious fight in the level is against 4 Barons of Hell without any decent weapon at hand. It doesn't get much better after that.
MAP02: A huge city map with a few isolated and unbalanced fights here and there. Most of the time you run around empty streets. Sorry, but what's the point?
MAP03: The first map actually resmbling something that might be called gameplay. But still there were far too many parts of the map that were empty.
MAP04: Probably the map I liked most, although the overuse of Arch-Viles made it more of a chore than necessary.
MAP05: Also mostly ok but like MAP03 there's some parts that are too empty.
MAP06: Ok, as an intermission it's ok. Just run to the exit and be done. Fighting in this map seemed utterly pointless to me considering the monsters being used.
MAP07: Well, one big endless slaughterfest that got old and boring really fast, especially the first wave of Demons.
MAP08: I think it's ok. Certainly not great but at least it played reasonably well.
MAP09: Ugh. Sorry, but fighting two endless waves of monsters of one type each to finally face off 2 Cyberdemons can't really be considered original. A great looking map with utterly n00bish gameplay. What a total waste!
MAP10: Large, big monsters and far too many Arch-Viles again. If there is one word to describe this map it is 'tough'.
MAP11: Utter insanity. I still haven't found a way to play this map without dying in the crossfire.
MAP12: The less said the better.

What's a dink? :P

Also yes Darkfyre I hate tons of monsters, that's why I repeatedly play h232, the masochistic torment gives me insane pleasure :P

I see that you fail to notice the dullness of the fights that you've created, as opposed to the hectic madness that makes fighting hordes of monsters fun. No map11's tedious and annoying fights don't count as hectic fun either. To each his own, I suppose.

EDIT: OMG Graf, I believe our reviews of map09 match perfectly. One of a kind situation here, let's celebrate!

I have to agree with Belial and Graf here. The designs vary from gorgeous to average, but the gameplay was terrible throughout. Long periods of waiting, followed by poorly-arranged fights = not a fun wad to play.

K i made 2 maps for Hellcore 2.0, Map01 and Map04.. Map01 you're not supposed to fight the barons until later.. you DO NOT have enough ammo until later.

I was trying to make the gameplay a little different from the normal, tons of ammo, tons of weapons (or just db shot) = fun. I'm sorry you guys didn't like it, it was an experiment.

If you avoided the barons instead, you could have gotten the blue key, and the level becomes a lot better.

Bottomline is, it was map01 in the series; I wanted people to use the pistol as their primary weapon, so it would be more challenging..
Most people in the doom community have enough skill to enjoy it by now. This game is nearly 14 years old, i'm sorry it wasn't fun for some of you guys, and i realize pistol fights can be tedious.

First time I played the first map I didn't find the shotgun. I found the blue key, got attacked by Barons, figured. Ok I better run out of here. Once I got out of there I got greeted by a pack of hungry demons in a narrow hallway. The pistol did little to stop these guys before they had pushed me back to the barons which greeted me with open arms. I then had to duke it out with a pistol against demons and barons, tried to make them infight and win that way. Didn't work that good. The crates made the whole ordeal a bit more frustrating.
After trying a bunch of times I managed to kill them all. Or if I left some barons, I don't remember. Either way I got out of there. The got on, met a throng of imps that cornered me and I died. Not one of my greatest moments in Dooming. But I pretty much had had enough by then.

I'm usually not one to complain about gameplay being frustrating, or too hard or such. But this was shit. It's the kind of gameplay I used to make back in 1996-97 when I figured out the best ways to punish the player. I still like to punish the player. But not like this.

i admit i like to punish the player more than others, i love hard wads without excess ammo and health. You are in hell after-all :O