Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duncan

The /newstuff Chronicles #298

Howdy and welcome to another /newstuff. Don't get too excited by this haul, and my advice this week would be to play the very few decent ones sloooooowly, for they will have to last you!

Anyway, enough of the intro, lets get into the nitty gritty of the uploads with your favourite friendly England reviewer dude...er..yeah, me.

• Catharsis 2 - Wills
    GZDoom - Solo Play - 1546 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    I was in two minds about this mapset. At first I thought negatively...it's not bad, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. Perhaps a tad harsh as there's not that much we haven't seen anymore. After playing through the rest of the bunch on offer this week though, I realised that this one is as good as it's going to get, so if I want to dish out a positive review this week, it'll have to be here.

Not that the wad is bad. It comprises of seven high tech themed maps, getting more hellish as they carry on. Detail is nicely balanced and not overdone and gameplay is comfortable and nearly at the point of relaxing at most points. The traps and ambushes are usually predictable but I wasn't in the mood for any heart stopping surprises so I'm not complaining about this. Transition between maps is smooth and gameplay is non linear and maintains interest mostly throughout, although I found some textures becoming repetitive as I carried on.A few new graphics are added and on screen messages are used quite well. It's worth a play. It's nothing showstopping but it's still worth your time.

• The Final 4! - Ruba
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 148 KB - (img) (img)
    Quote from the text file: 'I'm going to quit desinging after this...'

Please do forgive me if I don't beg you to reconsider.

And when you say I can 'do whatever I want with these levels' I hope that includes what ran through my mind as to what I'd want to do with them...

As much of an end of era as Ruba's final four maps are, I wouldn't bother if I were you.

• Wierd World Cave JBL-500 - Roo
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 11KB - (img)
    This doesn't even need a review...

View the screen capture.

Beautiful ain't it. And yep that IS the whole level. Roo, next time you try to crack a joke don't forget golden rule #7: The goal is to induce laughter and amusement from and within the audience...not make a total tool of yourself.

Better luck next time!

• Mattbratt's level pack - mattbratt11
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 333 KB - (img)
    Ok so dude modifies the weapons so that they are several times more powerful, makes 32 bland rooms and fills them with monsters then advises players to IDDQD and IDFA.

The result?

5 seconds of immature novelty at splattering a cyberdemon with a pistol before the boredom and the 'what's the freaking point of this' thoughts set in.

• Nostalgia series: 1994 base - Giulio Galassi
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 41 KB -
    An attempt to pull off a 1994 map. Gameplay could do with improvement but overall not a bad shot at it, if you like that kind of thing.

Sorry no screen grabs were available...technical issues...not dumbass reviewer issues of course..*cough*

• Pimpsted Guns - Walter "Daimon" Confalonieri
    Boom Compatible - Solo Play - 448 KB - (img) (img)
    A weapon mod consisting of a few 'new' graphics thrown together into a pack with the authors name plastered on it. Meh.

• A Generic UAC Base - Cliff aka Lizardcommando
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 93 KB - (img) (img)
    It's like the title says, a generic UAC base. Just what it says on the tin. I wouldn't class it as 'uglee'. There are minor texture misalignments and some rooms are a bit bland and lacking detail but a fair attempt has been made and there is decent gameplay.

Nothing stunning by any means, but beats a lot of the dregs of the week.

Bloodshedder's note: There was a skin uploaded as well: Cor.

Wow, I'm really honored that you used my map for the screenshot at the frontpage. Thanks!

As for why I chose the name "uglee" for the wadfile:

1. The brick2 texture was kinda ugly and I already used the stucco texture for some other wall textures.
2. It was the first name that came to my head.

This technically wasn't the first map I ever made. It's been almost 4 years since I last made a map and that was a crappy DM map.

Catharsis2 was somewhat nice, but I agree about the repetive feeling it had, especially regarding the texturing!
Nice reviews, although there wasn't much that cought my attention in this newstuff.

As always, it would be nice if there was a caption on the featured pic, so you knew which WAD it was from.

(How many years have I been posting this same feature request?)

mattpack actually contains a number of stolen levels, too, most notably one based on DOOM2 MAP01 (23, I think) and at least two others I recall from elsewhere (2 and 4).

Catharsis2 suffers from having a very very tedious game play. Can't say I can recommend it to anyone.

Jon said:

As always, it would be nice if there was a caption on the featured pic, so you knew which WAD it was from.

Look at it as a sales trick. To give people a bigger incentive to look at all the wads screenies. And not just go to the one that got featured in the top news box.

Ruba is resigning? YEEEEEEEEAH YEAH!

I've got to admit though... this /newstuff review was kinda disappointing. It was almost as disappointing as that one where only ONE wad was reviewed (It was sometime before or after hurricane Katrina)...

I'm kind of surprised Mattbrat111 is still mapping after being losered, humiliated, and his first wad being bashed and mocked...

Lizardcommando said:

Wow, I'm really honored that you used my map for the screenshot at the frontpage. Thanks!

I didn't know what map it was when I picked it. I just go through all the screenshots and pick the one that I think looks the most interesting.

Craigs said:

I'm kind of surprised Mattbrat111 is still mapping after being losered, humiliated, and his first wad being bashed and mocked...

If you saw his posts in losers, you'd realize that he's one of those people that's completely oblivious of his surroundings.

Lizardcommando said:

It sounds like he doesn't even know he's been losered.

Oh, he knows. He just doesn't care. We're all having fun laughing at his silly posts.

I actually played all of Mattbratt1111111111's levels, i want that 20 minutes back!

The first few where good, but obviously ripped. Uncredited naturally, but then he claimed he made superwep8.deh...

The first level of "The Final 4" COULD have been fairly decent if it had some different texture choices, and no SS guy, its a little bit E3-ish... the second map of it was extremely pointless though. Though i noticed a striking similarity between it and one of MattBratt's levels actually...

Lizardcommando said:

Oh, haha! I wonder what his posts there look like.

A snippet:

7. The BFG 9000 that Shoots the BFG Ball, that explodes into the Small Spread of Mancubus' Fireballs, that Bounces off the wall once, that explodes into the Small Spread of Lost Souls, that shoot Blue Plasma around them then explodes into the Small Spread of Arachnotron's Plasma, that bounces off the walls twice, that explodes into the Small Spread of Baron's Fireballs, that Bounces off the wall 3x, that explodes into the Small Spread of Cacodemon's Fireballs, that bounces off the Walls 4x, that Explodes into the Small Spread of Archvile's Flames, that explodes into the Super Large Spread of Imp's Fireballs. Kinda like a Firework Display.

Remember, If you're nice to me, Please Give me a Positive Credit, but if you're naughty or did not reply to me, You ask Permission my own way, NOT your own way.

...and so on.

Craigs said:

Sometimes I can't help but wonder, what is going through his head.

My guess is nothing.

His latest genius:

mattbratt11 said:

No Sir. I'll Add these Simple Rules that is Illegal Not to Do:

1. Don't Ban Me or I kill you Back.
2. Don't Lock this Topic or I'll Lock Yours.
3. Don't Cuss or Say Bad Words to me or I'll Call Police on You.

All I Want you to Do which was Illegal Not to do is Editing my Ideas or Wads, etc...

Goodbye!

Next he'll be saying he's retarded and his russian friend forced him to make shitty wads and that if we bash his wads he's got firebombs and guns and will take on any foriegner that tries to attack him... etc.

Lizardcommando said:

I wonder what his posts there look like.

All will be revealed in due time.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Im guessing that post got him banned :P

While under normal circumstances such a person would indeed be hard-banned, we are keeping him merely losered as he is providing much needed entertainment for both the staff and the other Losers inmates.