Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Steamy Imps

fraggle said:

The funniest part is that the manuals are for Doom 95.

They might be copied from the Doom Collector's Edition. I don't have Steam, but are they provided as PDFs? These are the MD5s for the DCE ones.

MD5 (DOOM II Manual.pdf) = 2e4b913e21790f01eaf0f26a412a2663
MD5 (Final DOOM Manual.pdf) = 6a5ddf7b9a6ba08c5611e22531c191c8
MD5 (Ultimate DOOM Manual.pdf) = 779001c4e29028325c1ae0c5d890fd33

Linguica said:

I am giving serious thought to creating a small program that detects any Steam-installed Doom games and automatically edits their links so they use a user-selected source port, i.e. Chocolate Doom or ZDoom or whatever.

I wonder if renaming the executable or changing its properties would work...

Bucket said:

I wonder if renaming the executable or changing its properties would work...

Right now launching a Doom game on Steam calls a BAT file (lol) that runs DOSBox with whatever command line.

Seriously a BAT file, I haven't seen one of those in years.

AlexMax said:

the reasoning for no music in hexen, quake and quake 2 is easy, none of the games support anything other than CD audio as it stands and id has better things to do than patch 10 year olds games. plus, hexen 2's midi music still works.

Duh I know it supports cd audio i'm not the stupid 'huge faggot' you think I am. I know Gametap does CDA tracks for its older Windows games by an automatic virtual disc image volume for cd tracks (though any virtual Gametap drives do not show up in Windows). Why can't Steam? Laziness.

AlexMax said:

or maybe it might be a better idea to just write tom, john or gabe an email and see if they respond before threatening to report them to gplviolations dot org and acting defensive and oppressed, I can't imagine that this was done maliciously, and if they respond they'll probably be apologetic and put a fix in the pipeline somewhere.

They don't respond to important inquiries from users, just the usual fan suck.

geekmarine said:

I assume that includes Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, 'cause otherwise, $35 seems ridiculous for something that you can pick up at Walmart for $10. Anyway, this is really flippin' cool! I can finally give those Quake II mission packs a go. Which reminds me, does anyone know, are they worth it?

Yeah they are. Ground Zero was friggin hard as hell, I never beat it...Of course this was back when they first came out...I should try it again. The other was pretty hard too.

Then again, I do play games on the hardest settting. Go figure :P

I wish Steam included the Hexen 2 Expansion Pack. (Portals of Praveous(SP?) I've always wanted to play that...

Compared to console games today priced around 50 plus dollars the 70 dollar "get it all in one box" does seem reasonable. As we all know there are still people just discovering this genre of games.

a huge faggot said:

They don't respond to important inquiries from users, just the usual fan suck.

It looks like they listened to someone, because according to SA (I can't check myself at the moment), the appropriate files have been added in an update.

Are you always a combative faggot when dealing with open source?

http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07321/saintignucius.jpg

Searcher said:

Compared to console games today priced around 50 plus dollars the 70 dollar "get it all in one box" does seem reasonable. As we all know there are still people just discovering this genre of games.

Compared to Armoured Core and Oblivion on the PS3 here (£50 a pop), $70 is VERY reasonable.

Steam released an update with the missing files, though they're from the version 0.71, not 0.70, which is the version that is used for this compilation. Also, it's unclear if the source was actually modified to work with Steam or if it's simply a wrapper around an unmodified .exe.

alexz721 said:

Steam released an update with the missing files, though they're from the version 0.71, not 0.70, which is the version that is used for this compilation. Also, it's unclear if the source was actually modified to work with Steam or if it's simply a wrapper around an unmodified .exe.

wd at VOGONS said:

Binary file comparison shows that they are using the 0.70 release executable
and added a wrapper. Means they did not modify the sources, just for clarification.

So alls well that ends well! Well, except for the lack of setup exes, but source ports remedy this.

So, Wolf3d anyone?

Well I asked JC what the deal with the whole DOSBox thing was:

It all comes down to resources -- re-qualifying a release of anything
takes a lot of time, money, and support, while just shipping the
exact same executables was fairly straightforward. While Doom and
Quake might be able to justify the work, there is no way a lot of the
titles could, so the decision was pretty obvious.

I strongly urge people with a little initiative to go look at the
various high quality source ports, because they are better in
essentially every aspect than the original sources, but we aren't
going to make any of them official.

My biggest problem with this is Steam. It's quite simply the most awful thing I have ever installed on my computer. My machine has caught viruses that were less invasive and destructive. If this provides any hint that future id games will be distributed through Steam, then this may well be the end of my 17 year relationship with id. :/

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/nosteam.gif

Enjay said:

My biggest problem with this is Steam. It's quite simply the most awful thing I have ever installed on my computer. My machine has caught viruses that were less invasive and destructive. If this provides any hint that future id games will be distributed through Steam, then this may well be the end of my 17 year relationship with id. :/

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/nosteam.gif

Why? What's wrong with it?

You might also view Steam Doom as one of the ways you can still purchase the IWADs. Really, get this compilation, copy the IWADs, uninstall Steam.

fraggle said:

Why? What's wrong with it?

It's invasive spyware, that's what's wrong with it. I don't like Big Brother watching me.

Graf Zahl said:

It's invasive spyware, that's what's wrong with it. I don't like Big Brother watching me.

Just calling it "spyware" isn't very specific. It apparently reports back game statistics and hardware specifications. Is this your issue with it? If not, what is? If Steam is seriously reporting back private information to Valve I'd certainly like to know, but a Google search doesn't seem to indicate that they're doing anything like that.

Linguica said:

If The Man knows he is running in 1280x1024 then what can't they know!!

HAH! 5:4? Puny human! 1440x900 will crush you!!!
Ahem.

Those evil bastards are discovering things like it's not worth the time and effort to fix their Matrox G200 OpenGL minidrivers.

yomoneyboat said:

HAH! 5:4? Puny human! 1440x900 will crush you!!!
Ahem.

1920x1200. Owned.

Enjay said:

This is wildly inaccurate. At best, you're probably thinking of the first two versions of Steam that, yep, pretty much did suck. But now, it's an awesome piece of technology. No more will I ever have to keep track of any of my installation media again, ever. No more do I have to deal with CD keys or Starforce or having media in the drive, for my games exist on some server where I can conveniently downlaod them. In fact, I have sworn off buying boxed games forever, because I never know when it'll end up being released for Steam a week or two later.

Graf Zahl said:

Oh no, Big Brother wants an anonymous poll of what hardware you're using once every couple of months that you can even opt out of, the world is doomed.

Also, this just in, Doom 3 is every bit as boring as it was when I played it years ago.

AlexMax said:

Oh no, Big Brother wants an anonymous poll of what hardware you're using once every couple of months that you can even opt out of, the world is doomed.

Are you sure that's all it sends? I'm not and as a result it won't get installed on my system.

By that statement, you would have no software installed on your machine. On account of you not knowing what it does/does not send right?

Edit: Yes, I'm being an ass

While we're debunking Steam myths, I'll mention how ridiculous it is that people can claim that it monopolizes your hard drive. Right now my Steam folder is about 600Mb, and 400 of that is HL game content-- which it needs even if you're only playing mods. Try deleting your Doom2 IWAD and see how many source ports you can run.

Planky said:

By that statement, you would have no software installed on your machine. On account of you not knowing what it does/does not send right?

Edit: Yes, I'm being an ass

That's what firewalls are there for. I don't allow anything I don't trust to connect to the internet.

Graf Zahl said:
That's what firewalls are there for. I don't allow anything I don't trust to connect to the internet.

Ah, but can you trust the firewall?