Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #336

Xaser said:

IGPack and GvH need to have a duel to the death or something.

Or why not bring them together? If IGPack doesn't use any LOADACS raping scripts or conflicting custom actors, you could play both at the same time!

Hey yea, that's a pretty cool idea Cutman. That would really help out IGPack popularity too; I looked for a server today but the only one I saw that was running IGPack was one of Supergod's. And it was empty (big surprise there!). Anyways, most of IGPack is really just maps (besides the graphics/sfx replacments). There is a script which removes the midtexture light gradients in software rendering since they only look good in OpenGL. There's also a script for Altgib (though I doubt you'd want to play GvH in Altgib or Instagib). And then there's the gib system. I don't know if those would cause any conflicts or not.

My real question with igpack is why there are terminator maps implemented with Instagib. There is no advantage to being terminator in an instagib.

Creaphis said:

But Scuba Steve only nominated GvH for the Cacowards. Ouch!

Where's the nomination thread anyway? Or is it private or something?

@Cutman: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/blogs

TheMionicDonut said:

My real question with igpack is why there are terminator maps implemented with Instagib. There is no advantage to being terminator in an instagib.

Carnevil said the same thing :P. Really there's no reason for it if you were, let's say, playing with other humans. Since the terminator sphere is pretty much useless to a player in Instagib, the only draw to it is the extra frags you get when you kill a player with it. But then no one will want to pick it up, obviously. So why did I use it in the campaign? Because bots don't care if they pick it up or not. Since they will pick it up, I increased the fraglimit so it sort of makes sense (I was really reaching deep for some variety in the campaign heehee). I've been thinking about making a feature suggestion that would make Terminator a viable game with the instagib modifier. I was thinking something like allowing the player with the Terminator sphere get double the frags or something. But anyways, that was my reasoning behind Terminstagibator.

Amazingly this year is shaping up to have a very decent variety of DM wads for Cacowards. I assure you that YEDS will not miss this year, of course. The competition will actually be hot for once. Whoever wins, maybe this year deserves at least a couple of runner up slots for Best Multiplayer to showcase the other good stuff that's come out.

udderdude said:
To Fight (2x2 series) - Alexander "Eternal" S. (aka Deadall)
This is definitely a slaughter map, along the lines of HR, AV, etc. By the time you reveal the 300 or so revenants that you have to circle-strafe with the BFG/Rocket Launcher for a good 2 minutes to kill them all, you might get a bit bored. There's enough health, soul/megaspheres and ammo laying around that you'll likely never run out. The next few traps are somewhat challenging, but not particularly imaginative - room full of demons and mancs that get BFGowned, cyberdemons are hidden in a few platforms that lower, archviles appear and try to resurrect everything, chaingunners flood a small hallway followed by arch-viles, (surprise) more arch-viles, and the final fight is a bit of a let-down. The map's gimmick is that it only uses 2 textures and 2 flats. So you basically have a zillion revenants, chaingunners, some arch-viles, a few cybies, and a map that looks plain by 1994 standards. Enjoyable if you like slaughter maps, everyone else will probably want to pass.

I played this and found it entertaining, and it looked nice. I preferred the playability over Eternal's more survival-type levels. The revenant horde is hardly boring, I think, as it's not hard to get sandwitched by them and killed. I guess the horde could be boring using saves to clear it, since success is guaranteed after the "chore". In fact, the one (minor) thing I didn't like was the recommendation to use saves, which is retarded. Skills 2 and 3 should simply have been easier instead. The difference between the difficulties is too small. Anima Zero's UV max demo is certainly worth checking.

@Mechadon: We should seriously come up with some sort of campaign to draw some attention to the wad. Perhaps organize a tournament or some such? Not sure how that would fare but anything that might help populate the server would be most deserving.

Occasionally I'll hop in the empty server in hopes that someone will join sooner or later. It's worked a couple of times, but it's by no means a perfect 'solution.' ;P

I also second Shai's suggestion for runner-up places for multiplayer awards. We've already got three smashing entries (how could I forget UDMX in my earlier post?) and there's always the 'obligatory' 32in24 somewhere 'round the corner. ;P

myk said:

I played this and found it entertaining, and it looked nice. I preferred the playability over Eternal's more survival-type levels. The revenant horde is hardly boring, I think, as it's not hard to get sandwitched by them and killed. I guess the horde could be boring using saves to clear it, since success is guaranteed after the "chore". In fact, the one (minor) thing I didn't like was the recommendation to use saves, which is retarded. Skills 2 and 3 should simply have been easier instead. The difference between the difficulties is too small. Anima Zero's UV max demo is certainly worth checking.

Well, I did say it was enjoyable if you like slaughter maps .. personally getting sandwiched by a huge horde of revenants that takes forever to whittle down is pretty boring and aggrivating to me. What if a revenant randomly paths into your way? Oops, you're boned.

As for "looked nice" .. can't agree there. Deadall has shown he can make these 2x2 maps look good, and this wasn't one of them.

udderdude said:
Well, I did say it was enjoyable if you like slaughter maps ..

I found this level fun, but that doesn't mean I'll like any slaughterfest, just the ones I think are well designed.

The revenants can be decimated pretty quick with the BFG, actually. The main stopper can be getting killed by the scary horde while doing so. Though when I looked at AZ's demo it almost looked easy, heh. I used less than UV after I got my ass kicked harshly, although I feel I could manage UV too now that I'm familiar with the map mechanics, but haven't tried again yet.

As for "looked nice" .. can't agree there. Deadall has shown he can make these 2x2 maps look good, and this wasn't one of them.

I felt it set a claustrophobic yet epic dark-tech mood which was well orchestrated with the menacing situation.

Xaser said:

@Mechadon: We should seriously come up with some sort of campaign to draw some attention to the wad. Perhaps organize a tournament or some such? Not sure how that would fare but anything that might help populate the server would be most deserving.

Occasionally I'll hop in the empty server in hopes that someone will join sooner or later. It's worked a couple of times, but it's by no means a perfect 'solution.' ;P

I guess I've never very good at advertising my releases. A tournament may work, but I really have zero experience (and time for that matter) when it comes to organizing events like that. Though I really think part of it has to do with how little FFA is played on Skulltag these days. I'm a FFA junkie yet I hardly ever see any packed DM servers like I use to :(. But I must admit that I haven't been hopping into IGPack servers to try and attract attention like I use to with some of my other releases. If another server is put up where I won't lag to death, I should definitely try that again. If you can think of something to help boost IGPack popularity Xaser, then I"m all for it.

Mechadon said:

I guess I've never very good at advertising my releases. A tournament may work, but I really have zero experience (and time for that matter) when it comes to organizing events like that. Though I really think part of it has to do with how little FFA is played on Skulltag these days. I'm a FFA junkie yet I hardly ever see any packed DM servers like I use to :(. But I must admit that I haven't been hopping into IGPack servers to try and attract attention like I use to with some of my other releases. If another server is put up where I won't lag to death, I should definitely try that again. If you can think of something to help boost IGPack popularity Xaser, then I"m all for it.

be a master of shameless self promotion and excessive advertising! take a page from ACTION DOOM's book. its certainly worth a lotta hype