Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #350

Bloodshedder said:

If you continue to be lazy your future reviews will sit in limbo until you either submit screenshots or I reject them because you end up not submitting any.

ALRIGHT FINE >:(

Super Jamie said:

I will finish up my doom.wad version in hope of a scathing /newstuff review then :P

I don't think that this is a great idea. Most bad reviews I write are laced with pure venom, and too many bad wads will turn me fat, impotent and bald. I can only take so much.

Chrispaks said:

I can't find the world 'semiseptcentennial' anywhere. What does it mean?

Centennial is every hundred years. The prefix "sept" means seven, so every 700 years. "Semi" means half, so every 350 years.

Bloodshedder is just making a joke that TnC doesn't get published regularly, and sometimes with inordinarily large gaps between releases :)

Mr. Freeze said:

I'm lazy. Sue me.

A picture is worth 1000 words (or in my case - 1250) so any assistance you can provide to the grammatically challenged would be appreciated. ;-)

Super Jamie said:

Bloodshedder is just making a joke that TnC doesn't get published regularly, and sometimes with inordinarily large gaps between releases :)

Or it could be The /newstuff Chronicles #350 :)

Chrispaks said:

I can't find the world 'semiseptcentennial' anywhere. What does it mean?

That's because it should have been "semisepticentennial", not "semiseptcentennial". (Granted, there's more Google results for "septcentennial" than for "septicentennial", but at least "septicentennial" includes Merriam-Websters in its results...)

Don't feel so bad, as it should probably have been semisepticentesimal :p

myk said:

Don't feel so bad, as it should probably have been semisepticentesimal :p

Nah, that would have been just 1/350th of a T/nC.

PhilibusMo said:

This weeks newstuff: so far with no flame wars.

It's a /newstuff celebrated moment, hence no flame wars this time.

No flames, but we got away with nitpicking language instead :p

Gez said:
Nah, that would have been just 1/350th of a T/nC.

I'm sure it should cause confusion to an undefined number of people reading it, given centesimal is usually used for fractional unit measures, in science or metrics, but it can also be read as "half of the seventh centesimal edition," where centesimal means "of or divided into hundreds" or "pertaining to progression by hundreds," instead of the other use, as "one half-times-seven-hundredth". See here for the two acceptations.

It would be highlighting the last and 350th edition to say there are 350 editions in total. The article "the" would also be weighing it toward this acceptation. To mark a fraction you're better off saying "a centesimal" or "one centesimal." The fact that there's normally no such thing as a fraction of an edition helps the perhaps unusual usage, too.

Take hundredth (a synonym of centesimal): It can similarly, but maybe more evenly, mean "#100" or "one of a hundred," depending on the situation.

The tragicomical thing is that there are at the moment exactly 15 files. If nothing else happens, they all will have to be reviewed, and afterwards, the list will be empty! Woohoo, no more new releases!

TheCupboard said:

I don't know Nixot, what's taking you so long from getting it done??

Coo. I'm reviewing one right now! :D

Edit: Submitted a review. Now I can be even more expectant of a new release.

Even when logged in I get a white page saying "You need a Doomworld account yadda yadda" :/

I had and have cookies enabled for Doomworld. Still does not work. Neither in Opera nor Firefox. :/

Does logging out and in or deleting the cookie help? I guess it could be a corrupt cookie.

Yeah, if that happens it could only be the account, unless some security feature or program is affecting all the browsers. You account looks normal. I just banned/unbanned it so it would be set on registered user by the server, just in case that helps...

Since the problem appears to affect all browsers - the next group of suspects I'd check are the firewall, antivirus and ad-blocker.

I have zonealarm running, and the browsers are set to the normal stuff, as in Access for Internet and Ask for Server, same goes for the other browsers.

Virusscanner is Avast, but I have no clue what that could do in this case.

I do not run a generic adblocker. I just block stuff on sites I visit regularly that annoys me, nothing on Doomworld.

Avast doesn't scan or block cookies, so that leaves ZoneAlarm - which I don't know much about. All I can suggest for now is to check it's privacy settings and flush the cookie cache.

I disabled Zonealarm and reset the cookies as a test. To now avail :/

That said, I find it a bit impractical that it just says I should be logged into the forums but not present me the possibility to log in there (which I am sure could be added)

Ptoing said:

That said, I find it a bit impractical that it just says I should be logged into the forums but not present me the possibility to log in there (which I am sure could be added)

That isn't necessary. It reads the same cookie that is set when you log in from here. Be sure you aren't logging into, say, doomworld.com/vb (without the www) and trying to go to www.doomworld.com/newstuff. The prefix (either www or nothing) needs to match.

No, that is certainly not the problem.
I just tried to log in from a totally different computer running windows 7 and it is still the exact same thing. No go.

What make & model is your modem/router - I'm assuming it's serving both computers.

Heh - having run out of things to argue about, T/nC evolves into a tech support thread.

Actually no, I am not at home now, so it is a totally different router.

Not sure what make and model either are, but I am sure they are different.