Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #358

40oz said:

Sheesh. Lots of wow.wads this week.

The next /Newstuff promises to be better(though there were some pretty decent wads to play this week too)... Now that Legacy of Suffering has been reviewed (awaiting approval), along with whatever else is out there.

Graf Zahl said:

So, what? You prefer not to have any gameplay at all? (because LD is the epitome of that for me, right after Nuts. :P)

Hey, at least LD has much better gameplay than majority of the "advanced" maps made for GZDoom. :P I'm not saying it's the best map out there, but out of Eternal maps its gameplay is the most to my tastes (And Cybersky would be second, but I like the freedom in LD. A great example of this is that you can even pacifist LD.).

myk said:

His new title, placed due to a negative comment of his in the cacowards thread, may have triggered the decision, especially since it remains even after he edited the post and allegedly sent apologies.

Unlikely, because his post was made on the 10th, and the wads were replaced on the 2nd, at least according to The Green Herring.

I don't suck, mister USE3D, and that's what pisses me off so much. Doom isn't just a hobby for me, it makes life worth living. I replaced all my wads because TOM went down to 2.5 stars on my birthday and I just got sick of getting bad ratings from non-competitive players or people who don't understand/care why I do what I do with my wads.

I retired from grudge-holding and apologized to Scuba Steve last week for the negative comment I posted in this year's Cacowards thread (which is now my custom title, and I like it).

All of my wads (including future wads) are available on Andy Olivera's awesome demo archive: DooMed Speed Demos Archive

I love /idgames and have no bad feelings towards it.

TimeOfDeath said:

I don't suck, mister USE3D, and that's what pisses me off so much. Doom isn't just a hobby for me, it makes life worth living. I replaced all my wads because TOM went down to 2.5 stars on my birthday and I just got sick of getting bad ratings from non-competitive players or people who don't understand/care why I do what I do with my wads.

You know full well that once wads are posted on the archive that any clown can post their opinion of your work.
If you're as into mapping as you claim you should allow the work to stand on it's own merits, instead of punishing everyone for the actions of some random jackasses. It's clear from this thread you have fans so, this whole thing seems like a big overreaction to me. At least the maps haven't been destroyed completely, just placed somewhere they are immune to criticism, good or otherwise.

TimeOfDiva. "Someone didn't like my mods! So I'm taking my ball and going back home! I won't play with you anymore until you all say how much you miss me and apologize and lick my boots! *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *door slam*"

Meh.

Jeez, guys. I've said many times that I'm a little baby. Obviously I over-reacted. I take bad ratings and criticism way too personally, but now I won't have to worry about that since the wads have been replaced. I would never destroy my work and they'll always be available online somewhere. Thanks for playing, I really appreciate it.

I dunno why Graf hates me so much.

LET'S TALK ABOUT THE OTHER 14 WADS PLZ

TimeOfDeath said:

LET'S TALK ABOUT THE OTHER 14 WADS PLZ

ok

Alando Deathmatch arena - it's deathmatch, so I don't care.

Blindside2! (BLSIDE2.WAD from DM2BS2.ZIP) - might try it when I have some time.

Clavicula Nox (Revised Version) - Can't say the mix-n-match look of some of the sprites appeal to me, but I might try it anyway just to see if it doesn't work with GZDoom. Don't expect to have the time for it anytime soon, though.

The Annihilator weapon - meh

default dot wad - meh

Bad Bethlehem - maybe worth a look

Simple Hellgate - the challenge might be interesting

Planet Phobos - ten maps is more than what I have the time for at the moment, might have been interesting otherwise

WHISPERS OF STARTAN - name is win, so you don't even have to download it to enjoy all the brilliance contained in this mod

Deimos Base #666 - pointless

Hell Entrance - a sort of Go 2 It? no time for that

Hell Ground - already played through that one just before its release, it was very good but the sound replacements were pointless

Kill the Spider! - pointless

Gez said:

WHISPERS OF STARTAN- name is win, so you don't even have to download it to enjoy all the brilliance contained in this mod

As with most jokewads, all you really need is the concept or a screenshot to get a laugh. Like that "Knee Deep in ZDOOMs". The map itself is pointless.

Also I'm looking forward to playing Planet Phobos. Classic Doom 1 episodes are awesome.

Super Jamie said:

Classic Doom 1 episodes are awesome.

This one isn't. I'd rank it more at the lower end for such a project. There have been much better ones, even recently.

Graf Zahl said:

This one isn't. I'd rank it more at the lower end for such a project. There have been much better ones, even recently.

I mostly agree despite my review. 3/5 at best, and that for the later maps and the intermission screen.

@ time of death - meh. Find your audience and filter out the people who aren't part of it. I'm sure you've heard this before somewhere though ...

Played blindside and man, traps within traps within traps much? It's like the trap king decided he wanted his trap palace converted to doom and the author volunteered.

For some reason I thought Alando would be the source of drama for this /newstuff, not Time of Death/

Creaphis on Blindside2:
This is another one of those wads from 1995 that only now is making its way onto the archives. It's an artifact of its era in every way - even the text file is brimming over with the restless excitement of those days. I don't mean that to sound at all negative; I only wish to communicate that this wad is, shall we say, classical.

I remember playing an earlier version of this level. It's memorable because it was one of the tougher levels I played back when I started, with a shovelware CD. Perhaps it was this one, as I don't remember any edited textures. I just replayed it and it's fun and should offer a good puzzle for a max demo.

The Green Herring on Whispers of Startan:
Take a good look at the screenshot. Take in all the details that you see. Are you finished? Good. I'll save you a lengthy review by telling you that the entire level consists of 37 copies of that room, one after another. Should you happen to use the automap cheat or look at the level in an editor, it turns out to be in the shape of a flag with the word "WEEWEE" written on it. Pass this one up.

As noted by others and to state the obvious, though, the pun combined with the copy pasting does make a good joke about a flaw in some of the Whispers of Satan levels, especially that one that, if I am not mistaken, was later replaced.

Dragonsbrethren on Deimos Base #666:
Carl Paulson

The text file says Gary Hader, which is the guy that also made the other crappy boss WAD, Kill the Spider.

Kirby on Kill the Spider:
There's really nothing to say here. It's a 3-room texture/HOM fuck that has a spider mastermind for you to kill. Possibility that this was the author opening up an editor for the first time? Very high.

It does look like an attempt to make something like wow but with a Spiderdemon, although this may be a coincidence.

Bloodshedder said:
Unlikely, because his post was made on the 10th, and the wads were replaced on the 2nd, at least according to The Green Herring.

Ah, I see now.

ArmouredBlood said:
Find your audience and filter out the people who aren't part of it.

I guess he did just that, by cutting off interaction with the archive (and thus the database or T/nC) and leaving the WADs on the demos site.

rf` said:

I wonder how many people realize that Blindside2 is map02 in heroes2.wad.

Anyone who's read the relevant text file included with Heroes2, I guess.

In case anyone is getting this back to front, Blindside predates Heroes2, which was a compilation wad.

myk said:

It does look like an attempt to make something like wow but with a Spiderdemon, although this may be a coincidence.

Possible, but I also peeked at some of the other wads he uploaded, which are simply him taking existing Doom maps from Episodes 1, 2, and 3, re-texturing them and then mix-matching monsters/items, plus adding in new ones. His changes add nothing new or challenging and gave me the impression he had just started having fun with an editor, which helped influence my decision. If anything investigate Command Control 2

Grazza said:

Anyone who's read the relevant text file included with Heroes2, I guess.

In case anyone is getting this back to front, Blindside predates Heroes2, which was a compilation wad.

At least it was a fun compilation wad.

I tried Clavicula nox. Hated it. I don't think it's possible to have an more unrewarding game play in Doom.

I would also like to add that Clavicula Nox might or might not be named after the Therion song of the same name and wonder how nobody has made the connection yet.

I am not posting screenshots because these failures of maps don't deserve any.

Thanks for the review. However, the reason you could be bothered to write this much but could not be bothered to take screenshots even despite the fact the author kindly provided some in the zip is beyond me.

Ah, that review must have inspired alando1's new thread. I hadn't paid attention to it till now because I'm more of a vanilla, PrBoom and ZDaemon deathmatcher or CTF player, but I sure wouldn't complain if screen shots were a requirement for reviews, in the same way a text file is needed for WAD uploads to the archive, unless the WAD, such as a MIDI compilation or a set of sounds, doesn't have anything to see. It would have been a good excuse to get rid of a tl;dr "deathz0r wannabe" review that does little more than tempt one to download a potentially mediocre WAD just to see if the negativity is warranted, at least :p

BLSIDE2 is awesome. I can remember playing the original map way back in 95. It was one of the best standalone maps from that era, imo. Total win for a single player map. I spent ages looking for it*** when I got back into dooming a little over a year ago, and the gameplay is still really really good, even by todays standards.

***When I say 'spent ages looking for it', what I actually mean is one day I posted a thread describing the map, and GreyGhost posted a link.

Also, Creaphis reviews = win.

neg!ke said:

Thanks for the review. However, the reason you could be bothered to write this much but could not be bothered to take screenshots even despite the fact the author kindly provided some in the zip is beyond me.

I didn't take those screenshots because of two reasons. First those screenshots were taken at the BEST possible spots and do not reflect the whorableness of the wad. Second, my router bricks if I upload anything bigger than 100k.