Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Doom 3 Source Code Released

After many delays both great and small, the Doom 3 source code has been posted onto GitHub under the GPL V3 license. However, this release doesn't include the fancy "Carmack's Reverse" stencil shadow system due to patent issues.

cant get this to compile under visual c++ 2010 express edition.. gonna wait til someone makes a better package

UPDATE: The stencil shadow system IS in, it's just been subtly (four lines) altered to avoid patent issues.

Yes, yes and a hundred times yes! As for the shadow system, maybe the advancing technology will let us come with our own version!

Have there been any attempts to start building resources for the game engine yet?

The most significant news in doomworld's history since the doom2 source release, and only 10 comments? :(

…freeDoom3?

Dunno if it's really that significant. Most things people wanted to do with Doom3 was already more or less possible. It was always a very open architecture in Doom3. Granted, a lot of things will be much easier to do with the source and cleaner. But it's not like when the Doom or Quake sources was released. Would be interesting to see a doom source port using the Doom3 rendering engine though.

What I find most exciting is that this should mean that the scripting system in Doom3 is now GPL. I always found it quite interesting how it used the same scripting for everything. AI, levels, weapons, monsters and player definitions, decorations etc.

I believe Eternity will also use a scripting architecture with the same language for maps and playing objects.

Two things were quite disappointing about this release:
(1) the game scripts (for monsters etc) is not included,
(2) the map editor was Windows-only.

The game scripts are available in the D3 SDK, however I don't think they are GPL'd there, hence you can't use them to make a fully GPL new game with the engine.

Of course it's still great that the engine code has been made available, but as kristus says it's a bit underwhelming as the lighting model (etc) has been achieved by other projects.

andrewj said:
(1) the game scripts (for monsters etc) is not included

#define SCRIPT_DEFAULTDEFS "script/doom_defs.script"
#define SCRIPT_DEFAULT "script/doom_main.script"
#define SCRIPT_DEFAULTFUNC "doom_main"

Proof? I'm no expert on this matter, but it seems to be linked to installations of Doom 3 and stored in .paks, or you could use SDK.

On another note, all the lighting and shadow stuff will get replaced in the future once people find out ways to improve the game anyway, shadows are quite unimpressive to me in retail and source, turns out it was Carmack's first C++ product and code was quite a mess, as said in his Twitter lately, hence why it suffered several slowmo bugs that weren't related to your own PC, not to mention, it's easy to modify the evil way, options like disabling serial check are in plain sight.

deported said:

#define SCRIPT_DEFAULTDEFS	 "script/doom_defs.script"
#define SCRIPT_DEFAULT	 "script/doom_main.script"
#define SCRIPT_DEFAULTFUNC "doom_main"

Huh? That is hardly the game scripts, just the paths where they are loaded from the paks.

andrewj said:

Huh? That is hardly the game scripts, just the paths where they are loaded from the paks.

Aren't the Doom defs and scripts supposed to be specific to Doom 3? This means that if you're interesting in a Doom 3 port, you already have them, and if you want a totally new idTech4 game, you don't need them?

printz said:

and if you want a totally new idTech4 game, you don't need them?

You could create all the monster AI, weapon behaviour (etc) scripts from scratch, but man that's a lot of work (speaking from experience, as I've tried to code up basic monster AI in the Quake3 engine).

It's so much easier to have something to begin with, even if you only need 20% of it by the time you're finished.

Huh, I was expecting there to be more comments about the source code release as well.
Oh well, I hope to see some cool source ports come out of this.

andrewj said:

Two things were quite disappointing about this release:
(1) the game scripts (for monsters etc) is not included,

These aren't part of the engine, or the SDK either for that matter. They are all stored entirely inside the game's pak files.
Unless you talk about the architecture for the scripting system, which would mean that the system as a whole isn't GPL. If so, is this the same with things like the physics/ragdoll system?

andrewj said:

(2) the map editor was Windows-only.

This has always been the case.

Jon said:

The most significant news in doomworld's history since the doom2 source release, and only 10 comments? :(

…freeDoom3?

It's just that not many people give a crap about Doom 3 around here. Most serious discussion about it has always been found on Doom3World.