Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Carmack On Shadows
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:25. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Linguica

Lead id programmer John Carmack updated his .plan yesterday with a small blurb about a new NVidia white paper on the subject of shadow volume rendering, which is of course one of the cornerstones of the Doom 3 engine. Also on the site is a small document, dating from May 2000, detailing previously unpublished correspondence with Carmack where he talks about his forays into shadow volume rendering. Here's a little blurb to make your head hurt:

The next iteration involved attempting to "preload" the standard stencil shadow algorithm by the number of clipped away planes. I first drew the shadow volumes with depth test disabled, incrementing for back sides and decrementing for front sides. This finishes with a positive value in the stencil buffer for each plane that is clipped away at the view plane. The normal depth tested shadow volume is drawn next, with the change polarity reversed, decrementing for back sides and incrementing for front sides. The areas not equal to the initial clear value are in shadow.

Ow, I need to go lie down.

Old Post 03-16-02 11:00 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

My head fucking hurts from trying to understand that

Old Post 03-16-02 11:08 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fusion

Carmack is actually ET.

Old Post 03-16-02 11:13 #
Fusion is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Typical Coder's way to develop new stuff. First they toy with the idea, then they add stuff until it works in all cases, and then realize how redundant is the code and proceed to write it all over again in a minimalistic way.

Who says coding's not an art? Afterall it's all about inspiration.

Old Post 03-16-02 11:28 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
læmænt
BAND

Really, who says that?

They should be shot imho :)

Old Post 03-16-02 11:32 #
læmænt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

What is he talking about?!

Old Post 03-16-02 12:21 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

ZALDRON! EXPLAIN!

Old Post 03-16-02 12:38 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Really, a couple of years ago when I was working in a game with several of my real-life friends I noticed this trend (4 years and minimal progress, school sucks).

I remember we were working on a isometric engine like the one in Ultima VII or LBA. While I was drawing some wall and doors templates, this coder friend was trying to develop a fast way to sort the sprites and render them correctly depth-wise. He went for 20 minutes, working with the math in a piece of paper. That's when he started laughing and banging his head against the wall. I take a look at the piece of paper and realize the first draft of the algorythm contained a couple of arc sin and arc cos, while the final form was just :

X + Y

Damn I miss those times.

Old Post 03-16-02 12:40 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

Originally posted by Zaldron
Really, a couple of years ago when I was working in a game with several of my real-life friends I noticed this trend (4 years and minimal progress, school sucks).

I remember we were working on a isometric engine like the one in Ultima VII or LBA. While I was drawing some wall and doors templates, this coder friend was trying to develop a fast way to sort the sprites and render them correctly depth-wise. He went for 20 minutes, working with the math in a piece of paper. That's when he started laughing and banging his head against the wall. I take a look at the piece of paper and realize the first draft of the algorythm contained a couple of arc sin and arc cos, while the final form was just :

X + Y

Damn I miss those times.

My long life dream is to create a game.

Old Post 03-16-02 12:43 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
spank
I'm afraid of Americans

LBA is called Relentless in the States, I think...

Old Post 03-16-02 12:44 #
spank is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Yeah that one. Anyway the game was going to be a RPG following the lines of Ultima VII and Serpent Isle. Just at 800x600@24 :)

Old Post 03-16-02 13:10 #
Fredrik

X + Y

Damn I miss those times.

Roflmao!

I wish that was possible at all times :)

Old Post 03-16-02 13:26 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
magikal
May he rest in peace

Typical Coder's way to develop new stuff. First they toy with the idea, then they add stuff until it works in all cases, and then realize how redundant is the code and proceed to write it all over again in a minimalistic way.

Who says coding's not an art? Afterall it's all about inspiration.

Yup,this is often the creative path and not just in gaming. Simplicity is often the desired result but 'simple' should never be confused with 'easy' as it often is.You usually have to work through the 'guff' to get to the core.

Old Post 03-16-02 15:40 #
magikal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

The cloest thing to me making a game was when we had to make one for an assignment at school.

I totally botched up the code and the game had millions of bugs and errors. You flew around in a plane shooting the answers to maths problems...but I still got a C+ for it so I was happy.

Old Post 03-16-02 15:52 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pritch
Super Moderator

this is all way over my head. I am an arts person.

Old Post 03-16-02 17:35 #
pritch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Law
Green Marine

When will id software find the five minutes to program a game that goes with all these graphical effects?

Old Post 03-16-02 17:43 #
Law is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Psyonisis
This chair be high, says I.

I once made a game in Turing that involved blasting away Pikachu into gibs... it had animated gibs and shotgun sounds and everything.

Heh

Old Post 03-16-02 17:58 #
Psyonisis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

I've made a game where you shoot my face. It's available on the Internet - see if you can find it.

Old Post 03-16-02 19:34 #
Scragadelic
Mini-Member

I think what Carmack is trying to say is that he's programming a flying plane that will spread ammo clips over the city in the game, and that he's in a dark area of the room he's working in, hence the shadows...

Old Post 03-16-02 20:08 #
Scragadelic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scragadelic
Mini-Member

I think the last line means Linguica is sick...

Old Post 03-16-02 20:09 #
Scragadelic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

Carmack should be programming instead of writing that mumbo jumbo =P

Old Post 03-16-02 20:33 #
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

Originally posted by Fredrik
I've made a game where you shoot my face. It's available on the Internet - see if you can find it.

!!!I bet a lot of people would LOVE to get their hands on that :)

Old Post 03-16-02 20:33 #
Fredrik

Originally posted by Maonth

!!!I bet a lot of people would LOVE to get their hands on that :)

Heh haven't you played it already?

Old Post 03-16-02 20:34 #
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

Originally posted by Fredrik
Heh haven't you played it already?

No dammit!

Old Post 03-16-02 20:39 #
dsm
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Do you hate fredrik that much?

Old Post 03-16-02 20:56 #
dsm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

Originally posted by dsm
Do you hate fredrik that much?

No. I love fredrik in a non-gay, brotherly fashion.

Old Post 03-16-02 21:01 #
Jonathan
I am not a leet hax0r :(

Clearly what Carwank is trying to say is that the next iteration involved attempting to "preload" the standard stencil shadow algorithm by the number of clipped away planes. So first he drew the shadow volumes with depth test disabled, incrementing for back sides and decrementing for front sides. This finished with a positive value in the stencil buffer for each plane that was clipped away at the view plane. The normal depth tested shadow volume was drawn next, with the change polarity reversed, decrementing for back sides and incrementing for front sides. The areas not equal to the initial clear value were in shadow.

To demonstrate imagine we were shining a bright light into Fredrik's face:
code:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ |/ ___/|~ ~ ~ ~ ~|||||||| |/ [___ | ~ ~A~ ~ |o) (o)| |/ \|~ ~ ~ ~ ~| ( ) | B |/ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~\____ | |/ | | |/

Now apart from the fact that Fred is now permanently blind due to the power of the 2 million candlepower light being shone directly into his eyes from a distance of 30cm, we can see that:

o Area A is lit up
o Area B is in shadow

Now imagine Carwank was to "preload" (drop) the standard stencil shadow (10 ton weight) by the number of clipped away planes (onto Fred's head). The result would be something like this:
code:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ __~ ~ ~ ~ ~ |/ ___/|~ ~ ~ ~ ~ __(__)_ _ |/ [___ | ~ ~A~ ~ / | \ B |/ \|~ ~ ~ ~ / 10 TON | \ |/ ~ ~ ~ /_________|___\ |/ $%&^^%&$%$%%^ |/

Now if we were to measure the new area B compared with the old area B and then factor in the weight of the ten ton weight, using a formula something like this
code:
/ (B.x^10 * B.y^10) \ | ------------------ * B.z^10 * B.y^10 | * 1337E10 * $666 & 110110110 \ (B.z^10 * B.x^10) /

We'd get the sextant coordinates to the secret map showing the location of the lost city of atlantis, in the centre of which lies the great lost oracle database containing the shadow values for every possible situation in any fps game EVER, all within a 12k zip file, searchable with only a 0.004 second delay.

I hope this explanation clears up any confusion, feel free to contact JC himself for any clarification, through the healing power of prayer! You CAN change your life!

Old Post 03-16-02 21:13 #
Jonathan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Virgil

Here's a link to a picture of the bug:

http://www.geocities.com/Virgil_32_0/pics1/dw_1.bmp

As you can see, most of the text is either black (the color of the backgound) or illegible.

I use Netscape 4.7 (to avoid some of the browser privacy issues IE brings up...)

Old Post 03-16-02 21:18 #
Virgil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

Jonathan:

ROFLMAO

Fucking post of the year.

But where's my long hair?

Old Post 03-16-02 21:20 #
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

Jonathan: JC says it is 20 ton.

Old Post 03-16-02 22:01 #