Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Carmack On Shadows
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Diabolic
Goatse asshole

>The next iteration involved attempting to "preload" the standard
>stencil shadow algorithm by the number of clipped away planes. I
>first drew the shadow volumes with depth test disabled, incrementing
>for back sides and decrementing for front sides.

How can you possibly increment for back sides and decrement for the front especially on shadow volumes, don't they need a substitute volume or how is the entire volume counted for? Someone rectify this problem for me, I do not understand.

Old Post 03-16-02 22:14 #
Diabolic is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scragadelic
Mini-Member

You get my sig plus ROFL times 15.
That equals 1997+(1815612*15) = 272136177 points.
But I still think Carmack was talking about programming planes that drop ammo clips :)

Old Post 03-16-02 23:22 #
Scragadelic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scragadelic
Mini-Member

I should have read this article more closely... Carmack's incrementing backsides and decrementing front sides.
If you thought about that for a while, you'd start thinking Carmack was gay.

Old Post 03-16-02 23:35 #
Scragadelic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Originally posted by Virgil
Here's a link to a picture of the bug:

http://www.geocities.com/Virgil_32_0/pics1/dw_1.bmp

As you can see, most of the text is either black (the color of the backgound) or illegible.

Netscape 4.7's CSS implementation is utterly utterly broken. Use a decent browser such as IE or mozilla which actually conforms to the CSS specification.

I use Netscape 4.7 (to avoid some of the browser privacy issues IE brings up...)
What privacy issues? Netscape was revealed last week to contain spyware..

Seriously, I am fed up hearing about people who complain that pages dont display in netscape properly. Take a hint. YOUR BROWSER IS BROKEN.

Old Post 03-17-02 02:31 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Arno

I didn't understand at all HOW Carmack did it, but I think he made real-time shadows possible on GeForce1 and 2 cards. Which is quite an impressive accomplishment. The good news is that Doom3 will not look like shit if you have anything less then a GeForce3.

Old Post 03-17-02 09:18 #
Arno is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
YicklePigeon

Doesn't my wonderful (not) V3 2000 count? With it's glorious blob shadows? :D

Anyway, I'll see you later Arn in #wirehead for a good 'sawing ok?

As for carmack's thoughts I actually started to understand it right after the bit that gave Linguica a headache.

Not really that hard to understand nowadays...

Oh yeah, I did make a BBC Acorn Model B game a long long time ago so yeah, I filled that dream :)

Now I want to do it again, after I finish my...assigned tasks.

Seeya Arn,

Your fellow UK'er 'sawing fanatic,

Yickle.

P.S. Hope they get out the patch soon, need that Doom SSG fix...weeee (ok, I admit, I'm tired...I'm going now...)

Old Post 03-17-02 10:59 #
YicklePigeon is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Translation of JC quote:

"I made pretty shadows on my computer"

Old Post 03-19-02 12:53 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote