Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > BF3 Edition

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:17. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Trasher][
The game is not well!

The Playstation Blog, an official Sony website that presumably blogs about Playstations, cornered Eric Webb from id and got him to talk about the PS3 version of Doom 3: BFG Edition. Among the revelations therein is that the disc will include both the original unaltered version of the game (with that flashlight), as well as the updated version with the armor-mounted flashlight and some lighting adjustments.

Old Post 06-22-12 19:15 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

I wonder if this applies to all versions or if it means the PS3 will have stuff the others don't, which would be an odd implication.

(Disclaimer: haven't read the article yet)

Old Post 06-22-12 21:39 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purist

PSB: How about the first two games was anything tweaked there for PS3?

EW: They are pretty much straight ports, but I will say that they run really fast at 60 frames per second, even with four-player split screen play going on.

This is a bonus. If only you could import PWADs.

Old Post 06-22-12 22:01 #
purist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Oh poop, I don't like framerate that fast for Doom, but I'll deal.

Old Post 06-22-12 23:02 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

60 FPS? PrBoom-Plus?

Odd. I feel as if I should know this by now, but I don't know what port the recent console versions of Doom use.

Old Post 06-22-12 23:23 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
Forum Staple

I'm curious about how they're going to handle the original two games. Split screen? Interpolated frames for a higher framerate? Largely rewritten? Something gives me the feeling that they're really overhauling the engine.

What I'm curious about is, if they're really doing these many changes, what will it be rendered with? OpenGL or the original software renderer? If it's OpenGL, will they be using the overbright effect that was present in the iOS port? And if it's software, are they going to increase the color depth?

Old Post 06-23-12 01:09 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

straight port

Old Post 06-23-12 01:31 #
Marnetmar is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
Forum Staple

Marnetmar said:
straight port

So was the iOS one for the most part. Besides, uncapped framerate and splitscreen is a little bit more than just a straight port. Maybe close, but not exactly.

I'm just curious how they're handling the rendering.

Old Post 06-23-12 02:18 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mike.Reiner

I'll probably end up owning this on both PS3 and PC.

Old Post 06-23-12 04:39 #
Mike.Reiner is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Trasher][
The game is not well!

Xaser said:
60 FPS? PrBoom-Plus?

Odd. I feel as if I should know this by now, but I don't know what port the recent console versions of Doom use.

The console versions use their own source port, since GPL code isn't allowed on the consoles in any way. On iOS it's a little more complicated, but GPL code isn't removed from the App Store purely on account of its licensing so Id can use source ports as a base there.

Old Post 06-23-12 04:40 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote