Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Doom 1 and 2 being ported to idtech 5 for PSN

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:25. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

According to this Examiner article, Doom 1 and 2 are being ported to Rage's engine for the PS3 version of Doom 3 BFG Edition. You read that right, no redesigned maps or anything.

Old Post 08-05-12 01:59 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Will be interesting to find out how faithful it is and whether there's any subtle differences in movement speed, monster behaviour etc.

Old Post 08-05-12 09:24 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

I don't see any reason for this.

Old Post 08-05-12 09:38 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

DooM_RO said:
I don't see any reason for this.

To make money?

Old Post 08-05-12 09:40 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Stroggos

Hmm...

Old Post 08-05-12 10:00 #
Stroggos is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Caffeine Freak
black and shiny

I'm a bit confused about this. I can't be sure, but it seems from the quote in the article that Tim Willits is referring specifically to the networking aspect of the games.

"We never released Doom 1 and Doom 2 on the PlayStation Network. So we're like, 'OK, what's the easiest way to do this?' And what the guys did instead of rewriting all the network support, [support for] friends, and all that kind of stuff, is they took Rage, took out all the 'Rage' bits and put Doom 1 and 2 on top of it."

Like I said, I can't be sure, I could be wrong. In any case, the article also says the games will be identical to their original versions. And that's pretty much common sense. Any changes to them would be met with fan backlash. Hell, Carmack got backlash when he modified the look of the pistol in Wolfenstein for the iPhone verson, so I doubt they'd change anything here.

Old Post 08-05-12 10:18 #
Caffeine Freak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ASD

I'm losing my interest of buying this for PS3 now.

Old Post 08-05-12 11:10 #
ASD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheUltimateDoomer666

It would be interesting to see how the games will run with the idtech 5 engine...I hope. I might get it just out of curiosity, but seriously, using Rage's engine? Why not just use a more reasonable engine?

Old Post 08-05-12 11:21 #
TheUltimateDoomer666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

From what Willits said, it'll still be the old Doom engine, the only Rage part will be the netcode.

I doubt it'd be any easier and faster to make the Rage rendering engine work Doom data than to plug Rage's netcode in Doom.

Old Post 08-05-12 13:31 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

The games aren't being ported to Idtech 5, they are just getting a new net code.

Talking about blowing things out of proportion.

Old Post 08-05-12 13:49 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

I downloaded Doom for my ex's 360 when I last visited, and it was nice to be able to play it on a chesterfield. Anything that allows me to do the same (as I'm a PS3 owner), is a + imho.

Also I guess this would technically be a port? Ports are always interesting to me, so that's a double ++ now.

Old Post 08-05-12 14:54 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lizardcommando
I'm a good person because I like dogs

It's about damn time. Now how about making PSX Doom downloadable from PSN next?

Old Post 08-05-12 23:08 #
Lizardcommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

It will probably be an interactive texture like that Doom 3 mod that allows playing Doom inside Doom 3. The gory stuff like most of Doom's game logic will probably reside in a binary blob or VM of sorts, and the only rewritten portion will be the part where network I/O and peer-to-peer hosting is performed: those aspects will somehow be packaged in a format the Rage engine understands ("move data blob X from interactive surface A to surface B over the network")/

Certainly, that's much easier to do than e.g. making an automated IWAD converter to RAGE format and hacking the Rage engine to display 2D sprites and try to recreate all of the Doom engine's quirk with scripting. Still....what they won't do for a buck.

Old Post 08-06-12 01:04 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Maes said:
hacking the Rage engine to display 2D sprites

RAGE already uses 2D sprites for some scenery, though.

Old Post 08-06-12 11:07 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
julz_d
Mini-Member

The Xbox ports have been in bad need of new netcode for a long long time now. If they have a decent netcode for PS3, 360 could surely use it too.

Old Post 08-06-12 22:07 #
julz_d is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

julz_d said:
The Xbox ports have been in bad need of new netcode for a long long time now. If they have a decent netcode for PS3, 360 could surely use it too.

The article says that the Xbox version isn't getting the new netcode.

Old Post 08-07-12 00:13 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
julz_d
Mini-Member

hardcore_gamer said:

The article says that the Xbox version isn't getting the new netcode.

Figures - typical Xbox Live.

Old Post 08-07-12 22:18 #
julz_d is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

New netcode will be DLC.

I wish I could say this statement was entirely sarcasm.

Old Post 08-08-12 00:02 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
alexz721
Forum Regular

I remember when Doom 3 was pushing new systems to the limit. Now it needs a graphics update. It's amazing how far technology progresses each year.

PM me if you have an idea.

Old Post 08-15-12 16:28 #
alexz721 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

schwerpunk said:
New netcode will be DLC.

Nah, it wouldn't be worth it.

You've gotta pay Microsoft a bazillion ton of money in order to put anything -- even a bugfix patch -- on the Xbox downloady thingy. Which is why you only put free stuff here if you absolutely need to (like bugfix patches).

A netcode DLC for an old game like Doom 2 would never be profitable enough to be worth the attempt.

Old Post 08-15-12 18:28 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote