Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Bethesda Posts BFG Edition Official FAQ
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:26. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

Bethesda has updated their Doom forum with the latest details about the upcoming Doom 3: BFG Edition for PC and consoles. If you've been keeping up, perhaps the only new (disappointing) info here is that the PC version of the game STILL has no cooperative mode, online or offline. As this is the official FAQ for the game, ostensibly you'll be able to check back on this page for any news.

Old Post 09-04-12 22:49 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Chronohunter45
Mini-Member

No PC co-op? Again? You've GOT to be fucking kidding me...

Great...now we have to rely on Opencoop and LMS again. Those haven't been touched by their original teams in years.

Old Post 09-05-12 08:00 #
Chronohunter45 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Deathmatcher
Forum Regular

Even better: Doom and Doom 2 PC don't support multiplayer at all. That's beyond ridiculous - that's cynical, given that these games helped ushering in the era of multiplayer gaming...

Old Post 09-05-12 08:47 #
Deathmatcher is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

Well, the originals are understandable. There are better options out there (e.g. Odamex) already.

Old Post 09-05-12 09:03 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Coolster
Green Marine

So in short, instead of getting original games with more features we get the same games again? I'll pass on this one since i already own Classic Dooms and Doom 3 for me wasn't good to begin with. I mean seriously no Co-op in Doom 3? And still the same limited to 8 players multiplayer? They really got lazy with this package.

Old Post 09-05-12 09:26 #
Coolster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

I don't think Coop would be much fun in Doom 3 anyway. Too many passages where only one person fits. On the other hand, mods are mods and may have attached Coop mode.

Bucket said:
Well, the originals are understandable. There are better options out there (e.g. Odamex) already.
It's the lie that matters. Doom 1 and 2 have multiplayer somehow, but that message makes people think otherwise.

Old Post 09-05-12 10:13 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

As they are distributed, the Doom games have multiplayer through DWANGO, IPX, and other outdated methods that no longer exist. If they aren't going to support multiplayer for the old exes, then it's more responsible of them to say there's no such things. People can always turn up to Zandaemex afterwards, but Bethesda and Id have no responsibility towards third-party exes.

I note that the FAQ doesn't cover the speculation some have about whether NRFTL is included. I suppose it means it isn't.

Old Post 09-05-12 11:12 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Well, that saves me a few bucks at least from buying this.

Old Post 09-05-12 11:15 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sgt dopey

The console versions better have mod support

Old Post 09-05-12 11:35 #
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

And here's the real BFG FAQ :)

Old Post 09-05-12 13:05 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Nice, I didn't know that got updated to the correct BFG data :)

Old Post 09-05-12 13:10 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Arjak

I've never played Doom 3, so I might as well get this. At least they went through the trouble of making a brand-new episode. I already own Ultimate Doom and Doom II, so Doom 3 will be the main attraction for me.

Still, it would've been nice if they had spent a little extra time with this and added a few more things. From the looks of it, it doesn't include any of the Doom II official add-ons, like Final Doom or Master Levels, and the fact that they have tried to hide Classic Doom's importance to multiplayer is just pathetic.

Come on, Bethesda! You can do better than that!

Old Post 09-05-12 17:37 #
Arjak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

See, coop wouldn't be possible because it would mess up the "gameplay". Anyone who knows Doom3 will remember that many of the encounters involve enemies appearing in front of you at the same time as other ones appear behind you (repeat ad nauseum). If there were two of you in one of those indistinct corridors, one of you would be bound to be standing where the enemies were spawning in behind you. So coop can't happen. :P

Old Post 09-05-12 18:07 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xtife

No surprises here for me, I would think any more unnecessary effort on their part aside from the new levels wouldn't be worth it for them. I mean they could have just packaged this all together without new stuff and people would still buy it.

I have no interest in giving my money to ID anymore, and certainly never going to go to Bethesda ever again.

Old Post 09-05-12 18:34 #
Xtife is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

I don't even understand why they must keep PC co-op out of the question; surely if it's on the consoles then it's trivial to have the same levels and multiplayer on the PC?

Old Post 09-05-12 18:35 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xtife

chungy said:
I don't even understand why they must keep PC co-op out of the question; surely if it's on the consoles then it's trivial to have the same levels and multiplayer on the PC?

No its not, PC is an after thought these days, get with the times.

Old Post 09-05-12 18:36 #
Xtife is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Caffeine Freak
black and shiny

Doom 3 was never designed with co-op in mind, it was designed as a single player experience. Trying to retrofit something like that into a game it wasn't designed for isn't generally a good idea. You want co-op, go play COD and quit bitching.

Old Post 09-05-12 19:06 #
Caffeine Freak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheDarkArchon

The "Go back to COD" argument? Classy. Next thing, you'll be telling us that co-op is for scrubs.

Old Post 09-05-12 20:04 #
TheDarkArchon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Apparently COD introduced COOP to games now.

Old Post 09-05-12 20:47 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheEndOfUs

Xtife said:

No its not, PC is an after thought these days, get with the times.

Shit happens...

Old Post 09-05-12 21:05 #
TheEndOfUs is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Caffeine Freak
black and shiny

kristus said:
Apparently COD introduced COOP to games now.

That's not what I said, I said that Doom 3 was not designed for co-op, it was designed specifically with single player in mind. It generally chalks up to a pretty clunky game experience when you try to retrofit something into a game that it wasn't tailored for.

TheDarkArchon said:
The "Go back to COD" argument? Classy. Next thing, you'll be telling us that co-op is for scrubs.

No, what I was saying was that there are plenty of other viable alternatives out there if co-op is your thing. I actually have nothing against co-op(or COD for that matter), I just don't think it would work well in a game like Doom 3.

Old Post 09-05-12 21:40 #
Caffeine Freak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Da Werecat

chungy said:

It looks like there won't be a co-op mode at all.

The co-op gameplay for DOOM 3 was only included with the original Xbox release of DOOM 3. As BFG Edition is based upon the original PC release, there is no online/offline cooperative play.

Old Post 09-06-12 00:42 #
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Pass!

Old Post 09-06-12 02:02 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Coolster
Green Marine

So in short they really got lazy, i mean fine Co-op doesn't suit Doom 3 (though if the Xbox version had it why they couldn't just implement it in the BFG Edition...) but seriously, in today generation of gaming 8 player multiplayer deathmatch is just laughable, lemme guess, Doom 1 and 2 will again be included with dosbox on PC doesn't it (or with Doom95, that would explain why there is no multiplayer support).

And yes why i do realise we have alternatives (source ports etc. on PC), it doesn't excuse them to get lazy but still take full price for those games. I wonder if this "BFG Edition" will include Master Levels for Doom 2, Final Doom or No Rest for the Living.

Old Post 09-06-12 12:09 #
Coolster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Coolster said:
I wonder if this "BFG Edition" will include Master Levels for Doom 2, Final Doom or No Rest for the Living.

No, no, and I wouldn't count on it.

If you had followed the link in the OP, you would have seen this as the first paragraph:

BFG Edition includes DOOM, DOOM 2, DOOM 3, Resurrection of Evil, and The Lost Mission are all accessible from the main menu/launcher.
DOOM 3 BFG Edition does not contain the DOOM Master Levels or Final DOOM

It doesn't say anything about NRFTL, but my bet would be on "no".

Old Post 09-06-12 13:24 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Coolster said:
lemme guess, Doom 1 and 2 will again be included with dosbox on PC doesn't it (or with Doom95, that would explain why there is no multiplayer support).
What the hell are you talking about?

1. Genuine original Doom IS the one for DOS. All the ports are by third parties with their subjective fixes. Be thankful they even put DOSBox there.

2. Doom95 can be used for multiplayer. And if it cannot now, it was definitely possible to play it over non-IPX network, while I couldn't do that with Doom.

Old Post 09-06-12 14:04 #
Da Werecat

Well, I dunno. I think it would be nice to see an up-to-date official port after all these years. With working mouse support and an adequate save system.

Old Post 09-06-12 15:27 #
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

For all of you "they got lazy" people. You guys do realize that the game will include a whole new episode for Doom 3, right?

That is not lazy, even if there may not be any co-op.

Old Post 09-06-12 17:02 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Caffeine Freak
black and shiny

hardcore_gamer said:
For all of you "they got lazy" people. You guys do realize that the game will include a whole new episode for Doom 3, right?

I'm surprised at how many people seem to be overlooking that. It takes a lot more work to make a new set of levels than it does to implement co-op mode in an already-completed set of levels, or to simply re-attach a deathmatch mode to an old release (Doom 1 and 2).

Old Post 09-06-12 17:36 #
Blzut3

hardcore_gamer said:

Ultimate Doom was a lazy release to me so yes this is lazy. The difference for me is I'm not saying they "got" lazy. They always were.

Old Post 09-06-12 17:43 #
Blzut3 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote